View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Prunepicker
09-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm reading "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley. His inferred
perspective of totalitarianism is striking as well as eerie.

jungllejane
09-03-2008, 01:21 AM
wild at heart by john eldredge--- for the 2nd time!

PennyQuilts
09-03-2008, 04:43 AM
The Urban Paranormal series by Patricia Briggs.

jsibelius
09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Um...OKCTalk?

(Seriously...Gotcha Capitalism by Bob Sullivan. Also Michael Wallis' Route 66 : the mother road.)

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Today it's a little of my Bible and a little bit from "Hockey: A People's History" by Michael McKinley

Prunepicker
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Um...OKCTalk?

The title of the forum is Art, Books, Film, TV and Radio.

jsibelius
09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
So you're saying OKCTalk is not an art form? How dare you? Take that back!

FFLady
09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Has anyone read Scott McClellan's book "What Happened"?

Midtowner
09-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Besides textbooks, I'm slowly re-reading War & Peace.

Lurker34
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
"I know this much is true" - I think it's by Wally Black.

ShiroiHikari
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

SoonerBV
09-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I read the Scott McClellan book. It was pretty interesting. Obviously you can see some bias, but then again, it is his story.

I just finished the book Streets of Laredo, which is the Lonesome Dove sequel. It was pretty solid, and I will probably read one of the prequels...

roboticbrad
09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
"Hold Tight" by Harlan Coben. If you never heard of him I highly suggest you read "Tell No one".

Prunepicker
09-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Has anyone read Scott McClellan's book "What Happened"?

I haven't and haven't planned to do so.

Prunepicker
09-03-2008, 09:41 PM
"Hold Tight" by Harlan Coben. If you never heard of him I highly suggest you read "Tell No one".

Can't say that I've heard of him, but just read a short teaser about 'Tell No One".

I'm on a mission to read and re-read classics. There are so many. I don't know
how I'm going to find the time.

Prunepicker
09-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Besides textbooks, I'm slowly re-reading War & Peace.

Slowly is the only way anybody can read it! :smile:

jsibelius
09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Today, I'm starting Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte. "How one man went from head of the household to bottom of the pecking order." It looked pretty funny when I picked it up at the bookstore last February. I spent $300 on books that day, so I'm only just now getting around to reading this one.

Also taking home Good Dog. Stay. by Anna Quindlen. Another book from the $300 purchase. It looks to be a lot of photos and a little text. A quick read, I'm sure.

Does anyone else keep the Bathroom Readers around?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
A History of Western Morals (http://www.amazon.com/History-Western-Morals-Crane-Brinton/dp/1557783705).

It's MUCH more interesting than it sounds.

Prunepicker
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Does anyone else keep the Bathroom
Readers around?

Mine is Popular Mechanics

OKCDrummer77
09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Does anyone else keep the Bathroom Readers around?

Do you mean the Uncle John series? I have "Uncle John's Colossal Collection of Quotable Quotes".

jsibelius
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you mean the Uncle John series? I have "Uncle John's Colossal Collection of Quotable Quotes".

That's the one! Everybody in the family gets one for Christmas every year. Make a good joke gift. And it still gives you dinner conversation with your other half...

NativeOkie
09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Power, Faith, and Fantasy.
America in the Middle East 1776 to the present.
by Michael B. Oren.
An Absolute MUST Read.
Provides understanding the roots of American Middle East involvement.
And brings clarity to the war on terror.
Very surprising Historical facts, even a 19th century George Bush.

Prunepicker
10-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I've finished reading "Brave New World" and have began yet another run of

Next will probably be "Animal Farm"

I like books on dystopia.

Midtowner
10-26-2008, 09:03 PM

Or utopia, depending on who you support for President :)

I keed, I keed.

southernskye
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I am rereading "What's the Matter with Kansas. "
I read "Animal Farm" in high school many, many years ago.

Prunepicker
10-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Or utopia, depending on who you support for President :)
I keed, I keed.

How true!

OKCisOK4me
10-27-2008, 12:09 AM
The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

Prunepicker
10-27-2008, 08:56 AM
The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
I haven't read that in years. It's going on the list!

MadMonk
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Introduction to SQL Server 2008. It's a real pager-turner. :rolleyes:

I've just finished up Rand's Anthem and I'm now re-reading Melville's Moby Dick, a few installments at a time from Daily Lit.
DailyLit: Read books online by daily email and RSS feed (http://www.dailylit.com/)

Prunepicker
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM

I've just finished up Rand's Anthem and I'm now re-reading Melville's Moby Dick, a
few installments at a time from Daily Lit.
DailyLit: Read books online by daily email and RSS feed (http://www.dailylit.com/)

YOU CAN READ?:Smiley112

I've never read Moby Dick.

southernskye
10-27-2008, 04:15 PM

I've just finished up Rand's Anthem and I'm now re-reading Melville's Moby Dick, a few installments at a time from Daily Lit.

Very cool web site .

Prunepicker
10-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Very cool web site .

That is a cool site.

I can't read from a computer screen for very long. The refresh rate, or something,
is hard on the eyes.

There's an e-book device that doesn't refresh and looks like paper.

I like a paperback. There's something about holding it and turning pages.

MadMonk
10-27-2008, 09:57 PM
YOU CAN READ?:Smiley112

I've never read Moby Dick.
Yeah, look at me be being all intelecshual. :Smiley220 I'm also saving the planet by not buying the dead-tree editions of these books. Next think you know I'll start skipping showers and voting Democrat. :D :D :wink:

I last read Moby Dick in high school. I wouldn't really call it reading it though. More like skimming and checking out the cliff notes, so I never really gave it a chance. I'm really enjoying it now though.

That is a cool site.

I can't read from a computer screen for very long. The refresh rate, or something,
is hard on the eyes.

There's an e-book device that doesn't refresh and looks like paper.

I like a paperback. There's something about holding it and turning pages.
I agree that a "real" book is much better. But, with that site I don't even have to go to the library or book store and they have a lot of classic titles. It's a convenience thing I guess.

It's not the same when curling up on the couch with a laptop though.

;):)

gmwise
10-28-2008, 03:10 AM
Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas L. Friedman

bandnerd
10-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Okay, don't laugh at me (because Mid already has) but I am reading the Twilight series that my students are all into. Yeah, it's youth lit, but it's really well-written AND it is fun to read, which is a nice change from articles on music ed which can be quite boring.

I hope to start our next book club book soon...something about kissing a virgin's lips...I'll have to look it up again.

trousers
10-28-2008, 07:53 AM
I've finished reading "Brave New World" and have began yet another run of

Next will probably be "Animal Farm"

I've got a 2 in 1 copy of Animal Farm/1984. I think its coming up next. Right now I'm finishing Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club.

MadMonk
10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Anyone here a member at Shelfari?
Welcome to Shelfari! Read, Share, Explore! - Shelfari (http://www.shelfari.com/)

Prunepicker
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Okay, don't laugh at me (because Mid already has) but I am reading the Twilight
series...

What's the Twilight series?

Chynna802
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Anyone here a member at Shelfari?
Welcome to Shelfari! Read, Share, Explore! - Shelfari (http://www.shelfari.com/)

I have checked it out, but I use Goodreads. It's the same concept.

What's the Twilight series?

Here is a brief synopsis from the first book of four:

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.

I didn't think I would like it, but a friend of mine kept pushing me to read it, plus there were TONS of awesome reviews on it and it's being made into a movie (I think it is still anyway) so I am actually reading the first book right now. So far, so good!

Midtowner
10-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm slowly rereading War & Peace.

ddavidson8
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Thor, Batman and Iron Man

acpaxton1
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

OKCDrummer77
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm finishing "Revolution in the Head: The Beatles Records and the Sixties" by Ian McDonald, then I'm diving into my autographed copy of Springlake Amusement Park by Doug Loudenback.

Prunepicker
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm slowly rereading War & Peace.

Does Reader's Digest have a condensed version?

OKCisOK4me
10-30-2008, 03:08 PM
I've got a 2 in 1 copy of Animal Farm/1984. I think its coming up next. Right now I'm finishing Rant by Chuck Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club.

I read his book 'Haunted'. Pretty interesting. It was recommended in either Maxim or Playboy as a must read!

trousers
10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I read his book 'Haunted'. Pretty interesting. It was recommended in either Maxim or Playboy as a must read!
I'll have to check it. Rant was pretty good, not great, but worth reading.
A friend of mine just loaned me "the unbearable lightness of being" as part of a book exchange. I gave him the road by cormac mccarthy.