View Full Version : Best place for a conversational meal?

theilluminatedfirefly
08-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Any suggestions?

I still mourn the loss of Harrigan's in OKC. It was a great place to be able to have a conversational meal. You didn't feel like you were sitting on top of other diners, the seats were comfortable, prices were reasonable, the music was low enough you could hear what the other people at the table were saying, and you didn't feel like you were being cattle-hearded through your meal. I miss it.

There are plenty of places in town for a good meal, but a good meal and a conversation? Mimi's is okay, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

FritterGirl
08-23-2008, 05:17 PM
It's been a while since I've been there, but the Charleston's on NW Expressway always seemed to have a pleasant atmosphere, as does Bravo at Memorial and Penn. Both are regional chains.

Locally, you might try the Paseo Grill (depends on your budget). They have lots of neat curtained off areas and intimate spaces perfect for good conversation.

I haven't been there at night, but 1492 - at least for lunch - seems like it wouldn't be a bad spot.

La Baguette is also a perennial favorite, although it can get a bit cramped at its busiest times.

Some really high-end places I can think of that have that type of atmosphere are the Boulevard Steak House and Mahogany.

jsibelius
08-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't know about Boulevard Steakhouse. I was just there recently and spent the whole meal cringeing at the conversation overwhelming us from the next table. And their dire need to dust the wine bottle storage area next to where we were sitting...

Kandyegirl
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Any suggestions?

I still mourn the loss of Harrigan's in OKC. It was a great place to be able to have a conversational meal. You didn't feel like you were sitting on top of other diners, the seats were comfortable, prices were reasonable, the music was low enough you could hear what the other people at the table were saying, and you didn't feel like you were being cattle-hearded through your meal. I miss it.

There are plenty of places in town for a good meal, but a good meal and a conversation? Mimi's is okay, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Hiya ~

We usually go to Saturn Grill, Falcone's (N. May location), Cafe Pranzo or Galileo (except for nights when they have live music) when we wanna enjoy good eats and chat with friends.

XO ~
Kandye

One easy mouse click will feed the hungry....
http://www.hungersite.com

Midtowner
08-23-2008, 10:30 PM
1492 is a very loud place. The tables are right on top of each other.

I think Trattoria Il Centro would be my top downtown place to have dinner in peace and quiet... or lunch. Either way, it's a really great place.

The Museum Café is fantastic for lunch, brunch or dinner.

I like the Grand House, it's generally not a loud place at all, but the quality of the food has, in my opinion, taken a turn for the worse over the last year or so. I now frequent Fung's Kitchen on 23rd which is superior in just about all respects (except atmosphere).

kevinpate
08-24-2008, 06:41 AM
I generally pick out of the way venues, and adjust times as well, for such eves. Places that do more than enough business to be open, but not so much I have to concern myself with elbow rubbing or either loud or nonsensical folks.

Jamil's
OKCCafe (or whatever it goes by) in the Crown Plaza, NW Xpress & May
Gopuram the semi-private areas, not the main room
The Mantle in BT

I'm sure there are others I just haven't made it to thus far

Toadrax
08-24-2008, 08:24 AM
If you're downtown during downtown hours, the Library is a restaurant/bar in the basement of the Robinson Renissance building. It is the best place downtown to sit down and talk to someone over a meal.

It gets kind of packed right at noon, so you need to get there a little early if you want a booth. Even when it is packed it only gets just loud enough to prevent people at other tables from hearing what you are talking about :)

FritterGirl
08-24-2008, 08:36 AM
1492 is a very loud place. The tables are right on top of each other.
Like I said, I'd not been there for dinner, just lunch, so didn't experience the noise.

I like the Grand House, it's generally not a loud place at all, but the quality of the food has, in my opinion, taken a turn for the worse over the last year or so. I now frequent Fung's Kitchen on 23rd which is superior in just about all respects (except atmosphere).

I went to Grand House this past Friday night. They had a jazz/pop standards combo in there. Definitely NOT good for conversation. We were practically screaming at each other. The music was nice, but it was loud - very loud.

I agree with you on the food quality. The only reason I went was because friends had already selected the place. It's fallen off my "go to" list.

bandnerd
08-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I second Paseo Grill. If you can go for lunch, their prices are very reasonable. It's also quite comfortable and the waitstaff is great. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences there.

Trattoria is spacious. Fung's is cheap and though the atmosphere is lacking, I've never seen it be so crowded it would be that loud. Plus I've enjoyed the food I've gotten there.

Museum Cafe is great for Sunday brunch, especially with the $1.50 mimosas!

I enjoy Rococo but it can be a bit loud, especially when they have their bands in, but lunch isn't too bad and if you go late on a weeknight, it's pretty quiet and they have great drinks.

CCOKC
08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
When I saw this thread title I immediately thought Paseo Grill. Especially if you get one of the private booths.

smacketyanne
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Prohibition Room. They have music on some nights, but it's never really loud...light jazz, and a harpist on Friday.

RSA
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Prohibition Room. They have music on some nights, but it's never really loud...light jazz, and a harpist on Friday.

And $1.50 mimosas for brunch.