View Full Version : Freddy's Frozen Custard

MadMonk
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Ate at Freddy's Frozen Custard for the first time for lunch today on N. May just south of Grand. I had the original "Original Steakburger". They have pretty good burgers for a fast food place. Awesome ice cream too. I recommend the mini turtle sundae. :)

Joe Kimball
08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I ate there about a week ago, at the location on 2nd in Edmond.

I wanted to be more impressed with the Double Steakburger. Really, I did. But between the shoe-leather thin patties (equaling roughly a single patty of a "normal" burger) and no special distinguishing of flavor or texture that one would expect of "steak", I can't offer more praise than to say the taste was okay. Not great, mind, but okay. The use of shoestring potatoes in lieu of fries allows savings to be made, I'm sure (the appearance of bulk), but the potatoes themselves fry a bit more crispy than usual; something I found pleasing.

On a high note, Freddy's fills a niche left by the departure of Shakes nee Shakey's. The Reese's peanut butter cup concrete I ordered was well-blended and all I expected.

MadMonk
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Wow, your burger was shoe-leather thin? Mine wasn't as thick as say, the kind I make at home, but it was'n't Big-Mac thin either. And the taste was very good to me. Maybe I got lucky. I hope I don't have your impression next time because I really liked it. The fries were good and crispy, but that type of shoestring fry just irritates me to eat. I can't get a satisfying bite. Like you said, it's the appearance of bulk without the cost. I can live with it though.

jsibelius
08-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe it has to do with location? I've been to the one on 2nd in Edmond as well and have been about as unimpressed as Free.

FRISKY
08-22-2008, 05:39 AM
The one in Moore had great footlong chilli/cheeze hotdogs...but quit selling them a couple weeks ago.

ultimatesooner
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
they are putting one in the old backyard burgers location @ rockwell and hefner

theilluminatedfirefly
08-23-2008, 04:42 PM
The hamburgers at the May Avenue location are always good. IMO they taste more like a "real" hamburger. Let's put it this way - if I was craving a burger and fries I would definitely go to Freddy's before the likes of McDonald's or Sonic.

They also have a good Philly Steak sandwich. And the custard is yummy.

NikonNurse
08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Their patty melt is awesome!!!

ShiroiHikari
08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
I personally love their fries, because I hate mushy, thick fries. Their ice cream is...okay. I like Rusty's better for frozen custard.

Turanacus
08-27-2008, 08:57 AM
good food @ freddy's

betts
08-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree that the patty melt is great. Their concrete with hot fudge and bananas is delicious as well. I try not to think about it when I drive by.

sweetmercyfan
09-18-2008, 04:22 PM
If your looking for frozen custard, try Sweet Mercy!!

OKCDrummer77
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM

Where is that?

ShiroiHikari
09-19-2008, 12:19 PM
It's down on Walker and I-240, right? Let me check...yep, that's where it is.

metro
09-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Do you work for them or own it?

bluedogok
09-19-2008, 07:08 PM
We stopped in the May Ave. location when we were up July 4th weekend, the custard was good. We don't have any here in Austin but we do have Culver's which is similar, not the same though.

alan
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Their patty melt is awesome!!!

QFE.

Pete
10-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Building permit for a new location on Rockwell just south of Reno.

Will be south of the bank on the southeast corner of that intersection and north of the Taco Bell on the east side of Rockwell.

Robert_M
10-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Here is the interior floor plan. Address is 7024 SW 3rd St, Oklahoma City, OK 73128

Out for bid to general contractors at the end of the month. Should be opening late winter early spring.

HOT ROD
10-20-2015, 11:21 AM
not to divert from the previous post, but I often wonder why 'local' american food chains such as Freddy's, Braum's, Johnnie's, OrangeLeaf, TCBY, so on. ... don't locate in Bricktown or elsewhere in downtown? Wouldn't it be great to have options downtown to grab an ice cream or quick shack while walking, particularly since those are local chains? Not to go ridiculous or anything, but the only thing downtown fitting that bill is Sonic yet OKC has more that could give some variety/choice.

Anyway, always curious why this is.

Wishbone
10-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Marble Slab is in Bricktown.

Tritone
10-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Had the patty melt at Freddy's in Mustang last evening. We've stopped at several of their outlets around the metro and I've tried several menu items; if I were to find a complaint it would be the thinness of the patties. The fries remind me of shoestring potatoes but I like the crispness.

I saw a mention of Culver's. I haven't had a butter burger in ages. Great flavor!

Thomas Vu
10-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Had the patty melt at Freddy's in Mustang last evening. We've stopped at several of their outlets around the metro and I've tried several menu items; if I were to find a complaint it would be the thinness of the patties. The fries remind me of shoestring potatoes but I like the crispness.

I saw a mention of Culver's. I haven't had a butter burger in ages. Great flavor!

I think Steak burgers in general are that thin. Steak n Shake is also like that.

catch22
10-25-2015, 03:38 PM
I think Steak burgers in general are that thin. Steak n Shake is also like that.

That's been one of the reasons I would never go to Freddy's or Steak and Shake. I like thick, juicy patties. They always seemed so thin you couldn't really taste the actual meat, but only the char from the grill. The best thing about a thick burger is you can get some of the char from the grill, as well as a healthy taste of the actual meat itself.

Tritone
10-25-2015, 06:16 PM
And, when they are thicker you get a little fat. Remember, fat is flavor!

ctchandler
10-25-2015, 06:19 PM

One of my main vitamins, vitamin G (grease). Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have grease.
C. T.

catch22
10-25-2015, 07:15 PM

I'm all about that fat!

Robert_M
10-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Got word today from one person the S.W. 3rd project has been suspended but they did not give a reason. Pete might have some more insight into this.

corwin1968
10-27-2015, 10:25 AM
That's been one of the reasons I would never go to Freddy's or Steak and Shake. I like thick, juicy patties. They always seemed so thin you couldn't really taste the actual meat, but only the char from the grill. The best thing about a thick burger is you can get some of the char from the grill, as well as a healthy taste of the actual meat itself.

I'm the opposite. I prefer a larger diameter but thinner patty on a burger. Places like Freddy's, SONIC and Whataburger make the style of burger I prefer. Thin and crispy with mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickle and lots of RAW onions....the All American Burger!