View Full Version : Looking for a vintage front door...

warreng88
08-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I live in the Crestwood edition of OKC and I am looking for an older door. I have found the exact one I want at Lowe's but it is $1200 and I am looking for a door that matches our style of home. If you know any businesses that specialize in this I would appreciate it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Have you looked at Restoration Hardware?

ksearls
08-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I too am looking for a new door. A friend told me about this place. Supposedly they have tons of stuff, old and new. You need to go armed with your door measurements. Let me know how it goes!

B & B Sales Company
(405) 232-3578
712 S Broadway Ave, Oklahoma City

warreng88
08-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Have you looked at Restoration Hardware?

We have a lot of stuff in our house from Restoration Hardware ranging from tables to drapes but if I don't want to spend $1200 on a door from Lowes, you can rest assured that I do not want to spend what they would charge for a new door.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Okay...Just a thought.

In other news...$1200 for a DOOR?

It better open itself and let the dog out for that kind of moolah.

warreng88
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Okay...Just a thought.

haha, I wish. It is just an oak door with steel inserts or something. Does RH even carry doors? I thought they just carried accessories and fixtures. At least that is what the one in Tulsa carries.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't remember the place I went in...Restoration Hardware, Renovation Station....Something like that. They had about everything including doors and windows.

metro
08-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah, you ought to try Habitat's Renovation Station on about 17th and Broadway just north of downtown. They have all kinds of old and new doors and hardware, much of which is donated from older historical homes or just old homes. Decent prices too.

FritterGirl
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
If you don't mind driving north about 5 1/2 hours, I strongly recommend THIS PLACE (http://www.aoarchitecturalsalvage.com/)in downtown Kansas City. It rocks! Their website doesn't come close to doing themselves justice. I can spend hours in there scouting around.

Any architect-junkies looking for a good business concept for here in OKC, here's your model!

angel27
08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
There also used to be an architectual salvage place on Lynwood near the Virginia end, south side, I think. Don't know if its still there but they had a lot of cool stuff at one time.

warreng88
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, you ought to try Habitat's Renovation Station on about 17th and Broadway just north of downtown. They have all kinds of old and new doors and hardware, much of which is donated from older historical homes or just old homes. Decent prices too.

I went and check it out last week. I was impressed with what they have to offer but the style of door I want is not there. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to do home projects though. They have boxes of enginerred hardwood flooring for $25.00 and those usually run about $80 a case. Also, they have really good deals on tile as well.

RSA
08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I purchase some really nice items form City Salvage (http://www.citysalvage.com/) in Minneapolis. The main item is a 1930's Modern Backbar, which is the center piece of our bar in the Prohibition Room Restaurant & Lounge. I know it is kind of a far distance, but check it out.

wsucougz
09-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Architectural antiques usually has tons of old doors.

bluedogok
09-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Okay...Just a thought.

Most "reproduction" doors are rather expensive. We have a company here in Austin named Crestview Doors (http://www.crestviewdoors.com/) that specializes in custom doors, their pre-hung doors start around $1,000. They make very nice doors but are expensive.

Urbanized
09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
If you don't mind driving north about 5 1/2 hours, I strongly recommend THIS PLACE (http://www.aoarchitecturalsalvage.com/)in downtown Kansas City. It rocks! Their website doesn't come close to doing themselves justice. I can spend hours in there scouting around.

Any architect-junkies looking for a good business concept for here in OKC, here's your model!
Actually it already exists here. It's called Architectural Antiques. Years ago, it was in Bricktown, in the building Tapwerks now calls home. In the mid-late 90s, they moved to the above-mentioned Linwood location (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DMUS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=architectural+antiques+oklahoma+city&fb=1&view=text&latlng=11666895836030507970).

The one in Kansas City is a bit cooler simply because it feels a bit more retail-ish, but AA is still a fascinating place to visit.

Urbanized
09-21-2008, 02:08 PM
As far as custom-built reproduction doors are concerned, check out Yukon Door and Plywood. They have a door shop there, and can fabricate just about anything. This would be my recommendation for people trying to match a new door to an existing door. For instance: if you have french doors where one side is good and the other is destroyed.