View Full Version : Buffalo statue stolen

Patrick
12-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Well, looks like robbers had made their first attack on one of the buffalo statues downtown. This one was in front of the ballpark. I kind of wonder how they stole it without anyone noticing! It's a shame people would go to these measures.

----------
"Buffalo statue stolen in Bricktown

By Cordell Jordan
NEWS 9

The following is a script from a NEWS 9 broadcast
An Oklahoma City business and police need your help finding a buffalo rustler.

One of the more than 100 life-sized buffaloes that decorate the city is missing.

When the Nature Conservancy first started their fundraiser that offered businesses a chance to own a buffalo like this, Main Street Center, which is the headquarters for main street community projects statewide, jumped at the chance. But now, they're the victim of a buffalo-knapping.

Where the Main Street Center buffalo once roamed, only a footprint and questions remain.

Its owners say someone made off with the five-foot tall, eight-foot long fiberglass bison right outside the Bricktown Ballpark. The others in the herd were not touched.

The buffalo, named Home on the Range, had a main street scape on one side with a map on the other; a map to where Weaver says the buffalo was about to roam.

Unless Home on the Range comes home, the buffalo will not make the trip.

Now, the family just wants to make sure their buffalo is okay.

I spoke with the Oklahoma Nature Conservancy office in Tulsa. They say even though some of the buffaloes have been vandalized, this is the first report of a buffalo being stolen.

We're told the buffalo wasn't cheap. Main Street Center officials say they are now out about $3,500."

Patrick
12-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I don't think Main Street Center should complain too much about the cost though...afterall, much of that was donated to the charitable group that sponsored the buffalo project.

Luke
12-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Idiots...

(the buffalo thieves, that is)

Keith
12-22-2004, 06:57 AM
That was one big, heavy buffalo that got stolen. Either there were several people involved in this escapade, or someone is suffering from a major backache or a massive hernia :weightlif .

I really can't understand why someone would take the buffalo, because I don't think a "hot" buffalo would be worth very much.LOL. I am really surprised that nobody saw it happen, especially with all the things going on in Bricktown. Really, no bull :Smiley181

Midtowner
12-22-2004, 08:07 AM
I'd look for the Buffalo to turn up in a strange place. Probably something like a HS Senior class prank. Back when I was in Edmond, that fiberglass hippo at the glass company kept getting stolen. I recall that it once ended up being found on the roof of Edmond Memorial.

No one knows how they got it up there.

mranderson
12-22-2004, 08:12 AM
I'd look for the Buffalo to turn up in a strange place. Probably something like a HS Senior class prank. Back when I was in Edmond, that fiberglass hippo at the glass company kept getting stolen. I recall that it once ended up being found on the roof of Edmond Memorial.

No one knows how they got it up there.

You might contact Barry "Greg Brady" Williams. Your message sounds like the Goat episode. (lol)

Frankly, I think the Buffalo's do nothing positive for our image anyway. I hope who ripped it off has fun.

metro
12-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Maybe the owners of the buffalo will think a star from the "walk of fame" being stolen does nothing positive for our city and has fun. you still have to respect other people's property. in fact, the buffalos are as big of a hit as when nyc did it with the bull's people nationwide have been coming just for our buffalo art and they are trying to make it a permanent attraction.

mranderson
12-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Maybe the owners of the buffalo will think a star from the "walk of fame" being stolen does nothing positive for our city and has fun. you still have to respect other people's property. in fact, the buffalos are as big of a hit as when nyc did it with the bull's people nationwide have been coming just for our buffalo art and they are trying to make it a permanent attraction.

I probably deserved that. All I am saying is Buffalo, cows, and things like that only enforce the hickville image of Oklahoma City. The do not tell the TRUE story of this city.

I have more respect for other people's property than most people do these days. Sorry for the miscommunication.

metro
12-22-2004, 08:59 AM
While I too, don't like the "hickville" image, I dont think this specific project enforces that, we shouldnt be afraid of our heritage for one. We should use it as a tool to attract others. We shouldnt try to become a NYC or Dallas, then there is no need for people to come here.

We are already drawing people from all over the U.S. simply to see this silly art project; it allows us to be who we are and at the same time show those out of towners we have a thriving arts community and a new OKC image.

floater
12-22-2004, 09:31 AM
I'm all for shedding some of the hickville things, but the buffalo doesn't really convey that -- it's about wildlife. I think these quiet but forceful creatures are a nice symbol of the state. Have you guys been to wildlife refuge near the Wichita Mountains (I know Patrick has :) )? And look at Chicago: this metropolis used the cow (after their early 20th Cslaughterhouses, and the cow that supposedly started the Great Chicago Fire) as their symbol for their public art project.

Something tells me this Christmas caper is indeed just a prank, to give the town something to talk about, or to start a tradition...which would actually be kinda cool. The annual Christmastime buff-napping!! Whose buff? From where? And whodunit?

Midtowner
12-22-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm all for shedding some of the hickville things, but the buffalo doesn't really convey that -- it's about wildlife. I think these quiet but forceful creatures are a nice symbol of the state. Have you guys been to wildlife refuge near the Wichita Mountains (I know Patrick has :) )? And look at Chicago: this metropolis used the cow (after their early 20th Cslaughterhouses, and the cow that supposedly started the Great Chicago Fire) as their symbol for their public art project.

Something tells me this Christmas caper is indeed just a prank, to give the town something to talk about, or to start a tradition...which would actually be kinda cool. The annual Christmastime buff-napping!! Whose buff? From where? And whodunit?

Exactly. I don't see the hickville thing at all. I think that Buffalo are a big part of OKC's story. Just think, 130 years ago, Buffalo herds were roaming the area that downtown OKC currently occupies -- not to mention the entire state.

Dallas has some great statue work in their downtown area commemorating cowboys and cattledrives. Dallas is anything but hickville.

I like a city that holds on to its past. That's what gives a city unique character. I'd prefer to have more of that, not less.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
12-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Yes,I am with you Keith Good Lord could you imagine?:weightlif

Plus even if they did it in the middle of the night, I used to work down in Bricktown at the bars and there are so many cops down there this astounds me.How it could go not noticed im sure it took a little more than a couple minutes.Im sure he will turn up somewhere who could hide him and where?

DarlingDiva:iagree:

Patrick
12-23-2004, 12:12 PM
lol! Nice way to put in floater! For those that may not know, I proposed to my bride-to-be at Wichita Wildlife Refuge! lol!

Anyways, although I also am all for shedding some of our hickville trademarks, I'm also for preserving some of our heritage. I think we can do it in the right way, without looking like a bunch of rednecks. San Antonio uses its Hispanic heritage to the max when promoting itself. It seems to work well. We can still be a civilized city, while at the same time using wildlife and even our Native American culture as a tool to make our city unique and distinctive.

ClipedWingAngel
01-04-2005, 08:01 AM
OK, thats a lot of burger meat if it were alive! It's obviously a prank. I belive its a valuable contribution in terms of ART and WILDLIFE because in most inner cities, the children havent seen a buffalo except in pictures. As an artist I applaud the work, as person I found them interesting but as an Oklahoman, I am distressed. I have walked downtown at 5 am and no one is around at that time. hmmm bet you this caper was well planned and orchestrated. Has it been found yet???

Patrick
01-04-2005, 12:31 PM
No, I don't believe it's been found. I'm sure it will be found eventually. Where could someone hide a buffalo statue that unique? And that heavy? I wouldn't be surprised if some gang, or a group of high school students did this as a prank! It's not like they could sell the thing.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
01-04-2005, 01:14 PM
...It's not like they could sell the thing.There's always Ebay! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/3/happy13.gif

Patrick
01-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Hmmmm...how much would shipping cost? Anyone want to check ebay? lol!

ClipedWingAngel
01-04-2005, 07:38 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if this is not sitting in someone's garage. Like someone's grandmother that doesnt drive. It might come out in may or june during graduations and show up on someone HS field or prom site.

MasterWolf
01-04-2005, 08:25 PM
There's always Ebay! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/3/happy13.gif
Yeah, you can pretty much sell anything on EBAY nowadays. Lol!! well, almost anything.