View Full Version : Shephard Mall + House in the Parking Lot

SnoopyRoo
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Does anyone remember the story on the house in the parking lot at Shepherd Mall?? Or is this a figment of my husband's imagination?

Pete
07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
This doesn't sound at all familiar.

Any idea of where it was supposed to have been?

I have all the original floorplans when the mall was opened and remember it pretty clearly, but I don't remember a house there. Unless he means something that was removed for construction.

AFCM
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I believe the house is now located at the site of Harn's Homestead. I saw it there about a year ago.

Harn Homestead (http://www.harnhomestead.com/)

okiebadger
07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
A house existed for years between the mall and the Sears store. The story I heard was that it belonged to the family from whom the land for the mall was purchased, but that the house itself was not sold to the mall until after the death of the occupants. I can't swear to the authenticity of the story, but there is no doubt that the house was there for a long time.

AFCM
07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
At the Harn's Homestead, the house is sitting off in the northernmost section of the plot and, in front of the house, is a plaque depicting the Shepherd's Home history. It's been a while, but this is what I vaguely remember:

The Shepherd Home was one of the first built in 1889, either just before or after the first Land Run. The mall bought the land and promised to use the family name, keep the house intact and move it to its current location. I don't know much after that, but if you visit the Harn's Homestead, you can check out the sign, which gives a brief and interesting history into the home.