View Full Version : Main and Flood?

BG918
07-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Does anyone know what is getting built at the SE corner of Main and Flood? Hopefully not a bank...

cas
07-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Midfirst Bank does own the property. They might be moving from across the street.

SoonerBob
07-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Midfirst Bank does own the property. They might be moving from across the street.

I was told this is correct.

Superhyper
07-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Blegh. Nothing like more Banks....

john60
07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Midfirst did a nice job when they built from scratch on Grand Blvd and Western in OKC.

kevinpate
07-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Glad to know it will be a bank. I was worried a third pharmacy might be coming
8^)

SoonerBV
07-17-2008, 02:23 PM
What would be nice is if they would convert that old Grandy's into a Whataburger...

BG918
07-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Will it be urban, built to the street like the rest of downtown?? Hopefully so, we don't need to keep building the same suburban crap downtown...

blangtang
07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
the dirt work finished so far and the little flags marking the outline of the builidng make it look like it will be set back from the street like the old sinclair was.

BG918
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
the dirt work finished so far and the little flags marking the outline of the builidng make it look like it will be set back from the street like the old sinclair was.

Not good urban design, I had high hopes for Midfirst to at least build to the street. This is downtown not 36th and Robinson!!

kevinpate
07-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Them SUV's gotta go somewhere ya know
:)

BG918
07-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Really surprised a suburban design was approved there. That stretch of Main between Flood and University has a lot of potential to be an extension of downtown but not if we build drive-thru banks with parking out front. I just don't understand it, why can't parking be in the back facing the NPS admin. building?? It's frustrating to say the least.

soonertoad
07-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I am just glad to see some development in that area. Anything is an improvement over the ugly dirt lot that has been there for last five years.

kevinpate
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
they avoid putting bldgs too close to the roadway for one simple reason ... have you ever seen how many folks lack basic cornering skills in Norman? It's one reason I drive bigger cars, simple self preservation. I'm never certain whether to applaud the folks who bike for their utter bravery, or to hope they get past their respective death wishes.

BG918
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
they avoid putting bldgs too close to the roadway for one simple reason ... have you ever seen how many folks lack basic cornering skills in Norman? It's one reason I drive bigger cars, simple self preservation. I'm never certain whether to applaud the folks who bike for their utter bravery, or to hope they get past their respective death wishes.

As an avid Norman biker I'd say most motorists are pretty courteous, especially around OU where there are tons of bikes everyday. More so than in other cities I have lived.

And that is NOT a good reason to not put a building up to the sidewalk. This is downtown Norman, I am still shocked the city is allowing this to happen.

BG918
08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I am just glad to see some development in that area. Anything is an improvement over the ugly dirt lot that has been there for last five years.

Eh, at least a dirt lot has the potential to be something great at the "gateway" to our downtown and also to OU on Main. This is just another bank, and not even an urban design. MidFirst has, and can, do better so I blame the city for dropping the ball on this one.