View Full Version : Sonic

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Pete
11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
I am seriously considering pursuing a Sonic franchise in Southern California. Believe it or not, there is only one here and it's an old location in Anaheim. We don't even have other drive-ins of any sort.

I think one of the big reasons nobody has opened Sonics in this area is due to the size of the market and huge expense in advertising. But now that Sonic has gone national with their ads (you see them all over ESPN), that issue has been largely addressed.

I've always liked Sonic and prefer it over most other fast food places. Yes, it's just fast food and lots of things there aren't that great, but when I lived in that area I went there much more often than other fast food places. If for no other reason, their fantastic variety of drinks.

So....

Would you say (speaking for yourself and others you know well) that people in that area go to Sonic more than any other fast food place?

Meaning, more often to Sonic than any other single chain like McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc.?

And what is your general opinion of the food and drinks at Sonic?

traemac
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Drinks at sonic are good, but the food cant compare with in and out, id eat there any day over sonic. personally when i was in anaheim i never ate at sonic but i hardly ever eat at it here too.

Misty
11-28-2007, 03:18 PM
People seem to be addicted to Sonic beverages. I've never been to Cali, I picture the people there drinking more wheat-grass combo beverages than fountain drinks with sugary sweeteners added (yes, very stereotypical I know). I know a few people that own Sonic's and they have all made fortunes. Go for it, but good luck finding a manager that doesn't steal for his upper habit! I worked at a Sonic in Lawton when I was a wee young girl and all our managers worked their butts off because they were flying high all the time. The till came up short quite a bit though..........AND BRING BACK THE PICKLE-O!

CuatrodeMayo
11-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Go for it. I eat at Sonic more than any other fastfood restaurant in my town.

Pete
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
People in California aren't that different than elsewhere, believe it or not. I think the one major difference is that a small percentage of the population is very fitness and health conscious... But the huge majority are just like most Americans: don't really watch what they eat.

I can assure you that we have a plethora of fast food places and they are busier than those in OKC. There are just so many people out here and people here actually spend far more time in their cars and less at home.

The drive-in concept is better suited to Cali than OK due to the weather. It's almost always great here and I know Sonics are much busier in that part of the world in the summers when the weather is warm.

Anyway, the idea intrigues me. The cost of entry is quite high so I'd have to pull in some partners if I wanted to go forward.

metro
11-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Malibu, while I personally don't care much for Sonic (cheap food and greasy, at least use real cheese hint hint Cliff Hudson CEO), however I think Sonic would do really well in California, especially Southern California. I do see it a little bit of a stretch for someone wanting to open one up North in the Bay Area though. Most people are more educated, lifestyle conscious, and part of the slow food movement as you know probably more than I.

You are correct, it is highly lacking old-fashioned drive in style restaurants, especially ala car hop style. I don't think you'd have to advertise all that much differently than you would here, in fact probably less due to the higher population density. (This is coming from a marketing guy, not a restauranteur so take it what its worth). Weather is always great in SoCal and the car culture there reigns supreme. I've never seen a Sonic that empty. If you do end up opening one, let me know and I'll swing in next time I'm out your way.

PennyQuilts
11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Forget California. For god's sake, please come to Woodbridge, Virginia and open shop. We have ONE Sonic within about 500 miles and it is 20 miles away. I still go whenever I get the chance.

u50254082
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Sonic obviously doesn't compete with BK and McD, but for what it is, I love it.

I think their fries are the best of any fast food place and the beef they use for their burgers tastes a lot better.

I've talked to a friend in SoCal that said he wishes there was a Sonic nearby because he keeps seeing the funny ads on television.

FritterGirl
11-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I go to Sonic much, much more than any other fast food restaurant, for all of the reasons given above, and below:

fun fountain drinks (and in styrofoam cups, so they last all day);
that cruncy, "rabbit" ice;
tater tots, tater tots and tater tots.

Their burgers aren't the greatest, but what fast food burger is?

They also have a nice chicken wrap with light ranch dressing, only about 300 cals, so not bad for a "cheap and dirty" lunch stop. Plus they're just something inately satisfying about the drive-in concept as opposed to drive-thru.

A close friend's father owned all of the Edmond Sonics until a few months ago, when he sold them all back to corporate. He still owns the land and they lease from him. Let's just say, he's not yet sixty, fully retired, and is enjoying life.

On the flip side of that, it was a VERY hands-on business, and even as the owner he had to deal with a lot of headaches, mostly finding good quality staff (as someone has already addressed).

When I lived in South Florida about 10 years ago, I always wished for one there. They hadn't made it that far out of OK at that time, but I understand they're just about everywhere now.

SoCal sounds like a great place for the concept. Overall, I think it's a great alternative to some of the other offerings out there, and has a different variety of things.

Karried
11-28-2007, 04:34 PM
My favorite all time franchise is In and Out Burger ... If I could open one here, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I love their burgers, their fries, everything about that place.

Personally, I actually haven't eaten much at Sonic. I rarely go there and when I do, I only order a shake for the kids.

I've tried a burger ( didn't like it much, but like I said, I'm a true fan of In and Out and nothing compares). I've tried the breakfast burritos.. they were okay.

Plus, I can't just walk in and order or drive through! I'm wondering why I have to add on a dollar or more to someone walking out to my car. It's not the money, it's the idea.

But, good luck regardless. I'm sure the novelty and concept will do well in CA. I like their commercials!

Pete
11-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the restaurant business is very tough. And out here, you have to pay people well to keep them due to the high cost of living.

I just think Sonics would be a homerun out here... And it's just a matter of time before someone else buys up a franchise and gets crazy rich.

Plus, I miss having them around. :) California doesn't even have a good beverage place.

dalelakin
11-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Beverages are what makes Sonic IMO. I have to believe that is the high gross margin item for them as well so it is a big plus for an owner that a majority of people come there specifically for drinks. I am not overly impressed with the food there outside of the chili cheese dogs. I could have one every day if my cholesterol could handle it.:D

I would think that with all of the national advertising that is done now for them (corny as it may be it is still advertisement) it would be a minimal budget for advertising. If I were in a position to take on such an endeavor I would seriously explore it.

solitude
11-28-2007, 07:31 PM
It seems made to order for Southern California.

dismayed
11-28-2007, 07:40 PM
You know, being so far out on your own I'd look into the distribution costs of your product. If it costs a fortune to ship your supplies from out here it'll be harder to make a profit unless you go in gangbusters and open multiple locations.

You should check and see if the Anaheim store is corporate owned or franchisee owned. Try to figure out if it is some corporate experiment that is operating at loss or if it is a franchise and making money.

I have friends who have owned or managed restaurants and drinks are definitely the highest profit item on the menu, which is great for a business that prides itself on having every flavor imaginable.

But yeah I think it'd do well in California.

Blangdon
11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I went to UCLA and OU and I can guarantee you that college girls and recent college girls will create the same fad of "going to sonic to get a drink" (meaning one of the fabulous non-alcoholic drinks for which sonic is famed) would catch on just as quick in SoCal. Just as In-N-Out has their 2am greasy burger craving cult and fat burger has their afternoon rush...Sonic could have their slice of the pie as well. In fact, if you're looking for a partner I'd love to go in on it with you. haha

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Heck of an idea. If I were out there, I'd be all over throwing money at your franchise with you.

I'd do what dismayed said...Check out the Anaheim location and check out the supply chain. I know that the Sonic locations in Oklahoma get supplied by what used to be U.S. Food. I forget what they're called now, they got bought out a year or two ago. But it's the same company that supplies Subway and A&W their meat and produce...So maybe they're national and it won't be an issue.

Heck the owner at the Anaheim location might be willing to go in with you on yours. It would certainly help on your franchise application to have an experienced Sonic owner in there with you.

billinvegas
11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
When Sonic's first started appearing in Vegas, a couple of the women from my office went there for lunch one day...
and I swear they ate lunch there for the next 4 days!

they went at least once or twice a week afterwards (versus closer fast food joints)

my reaction was...wtf? it's a Sonic ???

although they couldn't understand my fascination with In and Out Burger
(since we didn't have any in OKC / MWC when I grew up there)

so I guess we're even...

whenever I drive by the Sonic near my house, there's always at least 6-7 cars in the stalls, people driving through, and parked and eating on the benches...

Fri / Sat / Sun night there's always a dozen or so vehicles there

Seems to be popular here...

My guess is the "newness" factor in your area in CA will bring them in initially,
guess it's up to advertising, and the food to keep them coming back after the new factor wears off...

Best of luck to ya!

kmf563
11-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Personally, I think Sonic has gone way downhill. The food is mediocre, overpriced, and you have to wait forever to receive it. I think all of this has to do with franchise owners. I worked as Cliff's assistant for a while and he is actually a pretty decent guy and has funny jokes. He was really easy for me to work for. At that time, the stores taking a loss were the ones that were franchised. A lot of this had to do with poor managers and a lack of caring from the owners. The actual Sonic stores I had seen Cliff himself visit and fire people after reports of poor service or criminal activity occurring within the store.

So it all boils down to this - could a Sonic be a good investment for you - yes - but you have to be willing to keep your feet in the water so to speak. Make sure your staff is adequate and your management serves you well or else it will be a loss. And you don't want to get a reputation for having the crackhead Sonic in Cali.

tuck
11-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I am a HUGE In & Out fan, but Sonic is a great organization. They do a great job recruiting employees in a segment that had always had trouble finding good help.

Ditribution costs would never be a factor. All Sonics pay the same price % over cost...no matter what supplier they are using. US Foods is their current nationwide supplier.

I don't know the details of their franchise agreement, but I doubt you can just have one store. They usually designate a geograhical area to their franchisees. Mailibu, you have seen the agreement; I'm sure liquidity is a huge factor.

One Sonic isn't going to make you a rich man, 20-30 sure would help.

CuatrodeMayo
11-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Will drive-in dining take hold up North?

NewsOK: Breaking the ice<br/><span class='hl2'>Will drive-in dining take hold up North?</span> (http://newsok.com/article/3174876/1196311653)

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
The newest Sonic drive-ins will be built close to the U.S.-Canadian border — and folks up north are wondering whether they will be seeing carhops trudging through 3-feet of snow to deliver a cherry limeade.

The bemused include Chris Dettinger (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Chris+Dettinger&CATEGORY=PERSON), a second-generation restaurant operator in the Minneapolis suburb of Mahtomedi. The spring 2008 expansion for Sonic includes a new restaurant in the nearby Minneapolis suburb of Savage.

"I'm not familiar with Sonic other than the commercials I see on television,” Dettinger said Tuesday. "But my wife saw one in Arizona, and all they had was outdoor carhop service. I really don't think people are going to sit in a car and eat food in the winter. Today our high temperature is 20 degrees.”

Dettinger, owner of 3 Seasons Drive-In, has operated his indoor and outdoor restaurant for 33 years. He's seen how the region's cold weather has hurt sales at a nearby Dairy Queen (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=International+Dairy+Queen+Inc.&CATEGORY=COMPANY) because they are perceived as only selling ice cream.

"They have to do a lot of marketing to convince people they serve a lot of different food,” Dettinger said. "People perceive a drive-in as a summer business.”

So just how cold does it get in Minneapolis?

"Just as cold as it wants to,” jokes Rick Hiltbrand (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Rick+Hiltbrand&CATEGORY=PERSON), a meteorologist with the National Weather Service (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=National+Weather+Service&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) office in Chanhassen, Minn. Hiltbrand said the high temperature in Minneapolis is at or below freezing 76 days during an average winter, with average snowfall totaling 55.9 inches.

Drew Ritger (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Drew+Ritger&CATEGORY=PERSON), senior vice president of franchise development for Sonic, knows it is cold in Minnesota — but he's not worried.

"I lived in Minneapolis after I left OSU,” Ritger said. "I just don't know that the northern climate has been that big an issue. We've done northern media buys for a few years and that has really opened up a lot of demand.
He points out the Oklahoma City-based fast food chain is also preparing to expand into Wisconsin and Michigan.

"We just opened in New Jersey,” Ritger said. "It was a phenomenal opening.”

Of course, Sonic is budgeting for snowplows at its new northern restaurants. And Ritger said carhops will be wearing warmer attire.
"As long as it's normal, it's not a big issue,” Ritger said. "Now, if you have a blizzard, it's an issue. But as long as people are going about their normal lives, it's not that big a deal.”

With the opening in New Jersey, Sonic is now in 35 states. Ritger is so confident that the newest drive-ins will be a success that he's looking forward to the company eventually boasting of drive-ins throughout the country. "We don't have plans for Alaska, but someday, I'm sure there will be a store there,” Ritger said. "I just don't see any reason for there not to be.”

dismayed
11-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Also be aware that some franchises allow a first right of refusal to existing franchisees. So for example if the guy who owns Anaheim got wind of someone else wanting to build a Sonic in SoCal, he might claim the first right to build a store in his region and put the kabash on others from attempting it. I have no idea if Sonic allows this... you might try to get ahold of their UFOC and give it a read.

OKCGRL99
12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Will drive-in dining take hold up North?

NewsOK: Breaking the ice<br/><span class='hl2'>Will drive-in dining take hold up North?</span> (http://newsok.com/article/3174876/1196311653)

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
The newest Sonic drive-ins will be built close to the U.S.-Canadian border — and folks up north are wondering whether they will be seeing carhops trudging through 3-feet of snow to deliver a cherry limeade.

The bemused include Chris Dettinger (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Chris+Dettinger&CATEGORY=PERSON), a second-generation restaurant operator in the Minneapolis suburb of Mahtomedi. The spring 2008 expansion for Sonic includes a new restaurant in the nearby Minneapolis suburb of Savage.

"I'm not familiar with Sonic other than the commercials I see on television,” Dettinger said Tuesday. "But my wife saw one in Arizona, and all they had was outdoor carhop service. I really don't think people are going to sit in a car and eat food in the winter. Today our high temperature is 20 degrees.”

Dettinger, owner of 3 Seasons Drive-In, has operated his indoor and outdoor restaurant for 33 years. He's seen how the region's cold weather has hurt sales at a nearby Dairy Queen (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=International+Dairy+Queen+Inc.&CATEGORY=COMPANY) because they are perceived as only selling ice cream.

"They have to do a lot of marketing to convince people they serve a lot of different food,” Dettinger said. "People perceive a drive-in as a summer business.”

So just how cold does it get in Minneapolis?

"Just as cold as it wants to,” jokes Rick Hiltbrand (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Rick+Hiltbrand&CATEGORY=PERSON), a meteorologist with the National Weather Service (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=National+Weather+Service&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) office in Chanhassen, Minn. Hiltbrand said the high temperature in Minneapolis is at or below freezing 76 days during an average winter, with average snowfall totaling 55.9 inches.

Drew Ritger (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Drew+Ritger&CATEGORY=PERSON), senior vice president of franchise development for Sonic, knows it is cold in Minnesota — but he's not worried.

"I lived in Minneapolis after I left OSU,” Ritger said. "I just don't know that the northern climate has been that big an issue. We've done northern media buys for a few years and that has really opened up a lot of demand.
He points out the Oklahoma City-based fast food chain is also preparing to expand into Wisconsin and Michigan.

"We just opened in New Jersey,” Ritger said. "It was a phenomenal opening.”

Of course, Sonic is budgeting for snowplows at its new northern restaurants. And Ritger said carhops will be wearing warmer attire.
"As long as it's normal, it's not a big issue,” Ritger said. "Now, if you have a blizzard, it's an issue. But as long as people are going about their normal lives, it's not that big a deal.”

With the opening in New Jersey, Sonic is now in 35 states. Ritger is so confident that the newest drive-ins will be a success that he's looking forward to the company eventually boasting of drive-ins throughout the country. "We don't have plans for Alaska, but someday, I'm sure there will be a store there,” Ritger said. "I just don't see any reason for there not to be.”

I personally really hope the Sonic in Savage, MN goes thru! My husband and I just moved to Minnesota from OKC in October and Savage is relatively close to us! Although, I'm not sure how Sonic will do, it gets downright cold here, and I don't see too many people wanting to eat in their car....I wonder if Sonic could start building more restaurants like they have in Bricktown, and make it inside??

tuck
12-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Isn't Minnesota home to the "Butter-Burger"? I have never had one, but have seen one made before....about 2 tbsp of real butter on each burger as it comes off of the grill. I need this!!!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Isn't Minnesota home to the "Butter-Burger"? I have never had one, but have seen one made before....about 2 tbsp of real butter on each burger as it comes off of the grill. I need this!!!

I've put butter on a steak before (had it at a restaurant in Denver and liked it), so that sounds really good.

Time to experiment with burgers again :D

Pete
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the excellent feedback!

Regarding distribution, there are now NINE Sonics in Bakersfield, which is only about 250,000 population two hours outside of L.A. All of these have been opened in the last few years, so the franchisee there must be doing very well. And obviously, they are getting their products and supplies without much problem.

Sonic will franchise by store or area. In Southern California, you could easily have 10 franchisees, each with dozens of locations. It's the largest consumer market in the world. The one location in Anaheim is about two hours from where I'd want o operate, so there wouldn't be anything close to conflict there.

To put things in perspective, in many areas of SoCal you'll find McDonalds less than a mile apart. I can think of one area in the SF Valley where there are about 10 within a 3-mile radius. And they all are completely slammed with business, almost around the clock.

The L.A. area could literally accomodate a thousand Sonics. There are 10 Sonics in the Edmond area, with a populaton of about 75K. SoCal has 21 MILLION, with 10 million in L.A. County alone!

solitude
12-01-2007, 01:39 PM
There are 10 Sonics in the Edmond area, with a populaton of about 75K. SoCal has 21 MILLION, with 10 million in L.A. County alone!

That certainly does put it in perspective. Are you leaning towards seeking partners and going forward? I don't see how (barring the financial entry) you could miss. One of my favorite quotes is from playwright Neil Simon:

"If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine Floor."

Good luck!

Pete
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I would definitely need partners and am already talking to some people.

Love the quote. :)

Rage_Kage
12-02-2007, 01:13 AM
ever thought about a checkers/rallys

Pete
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Well...

Now Sonic is telling me that all of Southern California is now obligated to 5 different groups.

I have to say I'm very disappointed in how they handled this... First said on their website that Southern California is available, took forever to respond to my request for information (more than a week to get an email), email says my territory is not available but then lists Southern California as available, flippant guy in their franchise department basically brushes me off and says the entire territory is spoken for -- even though there is a total of one Sonic in an area of 21 million people.

I guess the good news is that we should be getting some Sonics out here in the near future. But I have the feeling they sold the rights then not much will happen for quite a while.

Karried
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
oh, that's disappointing for you I'm sure...

I'm sorry to hear it !

Kerry
12-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Everyone I work with here in Atlanta loves Sonic. I go to Sonics about once a week either here in Atlanta or back home in Jacskonville. My kids LOVE the popcorn chicken. If you want to get rich MS consider Chico, Red Bluff, Gridley, Yuba City area in Northern California. Cost of doing business is much lower than SoCal and you would corner the market. You would probably have to set the extra money on fire just to get rid of it.

jacodenn
01-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Pete...I'll trade you one Sonic for one Wienerschnitzel.

My Son has worked for Sonic since his High School days. He now trains new Sonic Managers and workers in North Carolina, currently opening three new stores in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Personally...I prefer the Whopper. But when it comes to refreshments and desserts...Sonic wins hand down!

SoonerQueen
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd love to have a Blake's Lotaburger here in OKC. They are a New Mexico chain, but their hamburgers are great.I love Sonic cokes and used to like their steak sandwiches, but never eat the rest of the food.I LOVE Blake's cheeseburgers. I'd eat there a lot if they were here.

SoonerDave
03-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, FWIW, as Sonic has pushed hard to go more national, I think their food quality has diminished. They used to have really good hamburgers, but the patty size has decreased while the buns have gotten fatter. Service is measurably worse than before, with wrong orders, wrong charges, stuff that Sonic used to do really well before they were so successful.

Easy180
03-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, FWIW, as Sonic has pushed hard to go more national, I think their food quality has diminished. They used to have really good hamburgers, but the patty size has decreased while the buns have gotten fatter. Service is measurably worse than before, with wrong orders, wrong charges, stuff that Sonic used to do really well before they were so successful.

Have to disagree with ya Dave...Can't say I can remember the last time my order was incorrect or when I received poor service at a Sonic

Can't say the same for every other fast food joint I frequent except for Chik-Fil-A

kevinpate
03-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Sadly, expecting any fast food place these days to give a fig on service or correctness of the order is expecting too much. I no longer leave a parking lot without doing an inspection of each item, in each bag.

However, as I am right royally perturbed that it's come to this, I very seldom visit fast food establishments now. I'm happier, healthier andmy blood pressures down. I canna prove there's a connection, but I'm certainly not willing to bet against it.

But, to give credit where credit is due, Little Ceaser's hasn't fouled up a hot and ready order ina ges, and i still go there. It ain't special,l it ain't top of the line, but it is adequate for the price, it is hot when I pick it up and I can count on no surprises when I open the box, and there are precious few ready to go places i can say that about anymore.

andy157
03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
People in California aren't that different than elsewhere, believe it or not. I think the one major difference is that a small percentage of the population is very fitness and health conscious... But the huge majority are just like most Americans: don't really watch what they eat.

I can assure you that we have a plethora of fast food places and they are busier than those in OKC. There are just so many people out here and people here actually spend far more time in their cars and less at home.

The drive-in concept is better suited to Cali than OK due to the weather. It's almost always great here and I know Sonics are much busier in that part of the world in the summers when the weather is warm.

Anyway, the idea intrigues me. The cost of entry is quite high so I'd have to pull in some partners if I wanted to go forward.Pete, why don't you see if the good citizens of Anaheim would vote to increase the City's sales tax by 1 penny for 10 or 12 months. They can be your partners.

SoonerDave
03-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Have to disagree with ya Dave...Can't say I can remember the last time my order was incorrect or when I received poor service at a Sonic

Can't say the same for every other fast food joint I frequent except for Chik-Fil-A

Surely everyone's experiences are different. We haven't sworn off Sonic, by any means, but compared to when I first started frequenting Sonic, I think the difference is night-and-day.

For me, things started souring about two or three summers ago. I had carhops at a Northside Sonic arguing with me about the flavor of tea they brought to me; a clerk at a different Sonic that couldn't figure out how to operate the cash register without two others (plus a manager) assisting - only to find out they couldn't make it work, either. Then there was a completely different (third) Sonic where we sat in our stall for a measured thirty minutes to get four hamburgers - that were all prepared wrong. The problem was that we were in a rush to get somewhere at a given time, and I didn't have the luxury of getting out and complaining and making them rebuild our order. The irony was we had stopped at Sonic to grab a quick bag of burgers and it was a disaster.

All these things work together to dampen my enthusiasm for Sonic. Like I said, I haven't sworn them off, but I have come to expect really good service and good food, so when they miss that mark, it used to be an exception...nowadays, not so much. That's all.

MikeLucky
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd love to have a Blake's Lotaburger here in OKC. They are a New Mexico chain, but their hamburgers are great.I love Sonic cokes and used to like their steak sandwiches, but never eat the rest of the food.I LOVE Blake's cheeseburgers. I'd eat there a lot if they were here.

There is a Lottaburger in Enid that my Mother swears is just like the old Blake's.... sometimes they drive from Wichita to Enid just to have one.... BTW, my Mom grew up in Santa Fe so Blake's Lottaburger is her all-time favorite.

And as for Sonic.... I can't remember the last time I had a bad service experience at one..... in fact, Sonic is the one place I go to MAKE SURE I have a good and fast experience....

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Pete, why don't you see if the good citizens of Anaheim would vote to increase the City's sales tax by 1 penny for 10 or 12 months. They can be your partners.

Hardy har har

andy157
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Hardy har harYou like that hey

hipsterdoofus
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
This is probably technically in OKC, but will be used by Edmond Residents. Its nice for me because not far from my house, but anyone have an idea why they are building this so close to the location on Memorial? Are they intending on shutting that one down?

I had some information that the location on Broadway & 15th in Edmond isn't doing so hot and may go away in time (note that it was never remodeled).

OKCitizen
06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Go next door to 7-11 for your Dark Roast Coffee and then Sonic for your breakfast burrito. Great combo!

:)

NativeOkie
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I live in San Diego and was watching television last night when a sonic drive in ad hit the screen it threw the whole family into a melt down.
We miss Sonic! and Charcoal oven on NW Expressway, and real Bar BQ.
Does anyone ship to southern California???
Need a Tater Tot and Cherry Limeaid Fast!
(don't even mention Braums)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I live in San Diego and was watching television last night when a sonic drive in ad hit the screen it threw the whole family into a melt down.
We miss Sonic! and Charcoal oven on NW Expressway, and real Bar BQ.
Does anyone ship to southern California???
Need a Tater Tot and Cherry Limeaid Fast!
(don't even mention Braums)

Tyler's: The Great Taste of Texas out in El Cajon will give you ribs every bit as good as you'll get here.

That is...If they're still there, I've not been to San Diego for a couple of years, and haven't lived there in a decade.

metro
12-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Sonic plans value menu
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
December 16, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Sonic Corp. plans to introduce a value menu at the end of December, with a handful of food items for about $1, citing tough economic times for consumers.

Paul Macaluso, vice president of marketing at Sonic, said the company will offer a value menu with about eight to 10 items for those watching their pocketbooks.An exact menu has not been revealed yet. It is the first time the chain has introduced a value menu.

“There will be a variety of products that people can make complete meals out of as well as have as sides or snacks,” Macaluso said.

The Oklahoma City-based drive-in chain has more than 3,500 locations across the country.

Mike Donohue, spokesman for the National Restaurant Association, said more restaurants across the board are beginning to expand value menus, or offer them for the first time to help customers and themselves.

“Restaurants are operating under a weak economy and nearly unprecedented food price inflation,” he said. “It’s a very difficult time for restaurants.”
Donohue cited U.S. Department of Labor numbers that showed food price inflation in 2007 ran at 7.5 percent, the steepest increase since 1981. For 2008 that number is expected to climb to 8 percent.

Donohue said restaurants are eyeing their bottom line, while trying to offer value to their customers and keep them coming in the door. This can be difficult, he said, since food costs amount to 33 cents on the sales dollar for most restaurants.

“This kind of economy lends itself to going the extra step to try to provide value,” Donohue said. “Restaurants have always done this, but in this kind of economic situation you’re seeing more of it.”

Macaluso said one step Sonic took in the last year to offer lower-priced drinks was the implementation of its happy hour program from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., when all drinks are half-price.

On Monday, Sonic also reported systemwide same-store sales were expected to be below expectations for the first fiscal quarter of 2009, which ended Nov. 30.

Same-store sales for November are expected to be more positive. The company said that increase reflected a more aggressive, price-sensitive promotion versus September and October.

Partner drive-ins, where the company owns a majority interest, are reported to have lagged franchisee sales by about 4 percent, which is expected to have an adverse impact on operating margins and net income for the quarter.
Sonic plans to report its first-quarter results on Jan. 8.

BailJumper
12-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I find it telling that Sonic introduces a value menu because of the economic times, yet there has been reports McDonald's may be eliminating parts or all of their $1 menu because of the economic times.

I personally love Sonic and have never figured out how a burger with so little meat tastes so good!

JakeZula
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
This is great news! I like Sonic, and I'd rather support them than McDonald's anyway. I've eaten both in the last week. I got food for me and my girlfriend off McDonald's value menu, and it cost about $6 for two large teas, two burgers, fries, and two pies. I ate at Sonic by myself the other night; I got a bacon cheeseburger and some cheddar bites, and it was $7.50. I can get an Irma's no name burger for that price!

BailJumper
12-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Ohhhhhh, think there is any chance they will bring back Pickle-O's for the value menu? I love me some fried pickles!

kevinpate
12-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Kewl, this offsets having lost a little community value card for Sonic. Lots of little BOGO stickers, most of which were never collected, even when offered. That little card, bought off a youth shucking them for a fundraiser, combined with two Sonics within 1.5 miles of home and another 0.5 from work, sure got a lot of use before I dropped it somewhere. I hope it found its way to a nice wallet or purse and isn't shivering in some drainage ditch.

masonsmomma
12-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Ohhhhhh, think there is any chance they will bring back Pickle-O's for the value menu? I love me some fried pickles!

Amen to that! I love pickle-o's! As far as the items they probably will put on there, I'm thinking stuff like corn dogs, jr. burgers, small fries. Any other thoughts?

metro
12-17-2008, 08:08 AM

I'd support that too. I wish they would quick taking them off the menu and then bringing them back like every 3 years. Keep them on the menu please, at least here locally.

NativeOkie
06-03-2009, 10:57 PM
We just opened our first San Diego area Sonic.
You can not imagine the lines. It takes 30 minute wait for drive thru only.
They have hired a traffic team for the cars and you have a staging area wait of 45 minutes and up to enter the parking lot.

The menu seems light not all of the stuff I remembered. a sonic burger, the footlong hot dog, chicken sandwich frito wrap, chick strips and that is it. all the other stuff tots and limeaid.

want to make a fortune? open a Custard store here or real Bar BQ.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Only ONE Sonic?

Oh...Wait...I seem to recall an interesting thread here on Sonic in Southern California...Pete had some interesting things to say about somebody owning the rights to them or something.

And San Diego had real BBQ when I lived there.

AFCM
06-03-2009, 11:27 PM
It takes 30 minute wait for drive thru only.
They have hired a traffic team for the cars and you have a staging area wait of 45 minutes and up to enter the parking lot.

How is that any different from normal California traffic? :wink:

John1744
06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Hmm. I'm sorry I love Sonic for being good to Oklahoma and it has a ton of variety but they're food is so bland...

kevinpate
06-04-2009, 02:26 AM
> ... have a staging area wait of 45 minutes and up to enter the parking lot.

I like Sonic, stop in regularly. But it is what it is, fast fuel.
Waiting 45 minutes to order? Then it's simply fuel, and not for me at that point.
Luck with that.

LakeEffect
06-04-2009, 05:35 AM
We just opened our first San Diego area Sonic.
You can not imagine the lines. It takes 30 minute wait for drive thru only.

I heard the same type of story about Sonic's new location in Grand Rapids, Michigan as well. I recall their national ad campaign in West Michigan when I still lived there 4 years ago (and they ran quite a while before I moved). Many people who saw the ads were upset when searching for the closest Sonic. I think it was brilliant to go national with advertising and then slowly expand - the pent up demand is perfect. Plus, the comedy of the their ads is great.

amylynn5656
06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow. I can't believe this! It's great!

When I lived in Boulder, CO - I'd drive 30 minutes to the nearest Sonic in Longmont. I missed it so much and have completely over-indulged in it since I've been back!

tburn
06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I was a carhop at the one in Stillwater years ago -- I think it is the first in Okla?

and the 45 minute wait doesn't suprise me, okies have been known to wait for an hour or more for a Krispy Kreme doughnut!