View Full Version : Staybridge Suites

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Shake2005
03-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Riiiight. Where exactly along the canal? Were these "plans" created back when Lower Bricktown was still a clean slate, before the arrival of Bass Pro, Toby Keith's, and an oversupply of surface parking?

I find it very hard to believe that this was ever anything beyond the "absurd pipe dream" stage--the Bricktown canal is simply too much of a low-end suburban-esque development, certainly fitting for the likes of the Hampton Inn and Residence Inn but not at all for high-end chains like the W. (Please, feel free to prove me wrong.)

If it was a real project it was probably an "Aloft by W" hotel, lots of those going up around the country and they aren't so upscale and are usually pretty small. I stayed in one in downtown Dallas recently.

Spartan
03-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Aren't they putting one in Tulsa by 71st/Mingo?

I think OKC was slated to get one too, but they're typically not urban..

metro
03-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes Tulsa is getting an Aloft. OKC's was supposed to be next to The "360" later named "The 360 at Founders Tower", now known again as "Founders Tower".

As far as the Ritz Carlton as Spartan said, Bob Funk made the announcement about luring a Ritz Carlton, although I think that was a stretch from the get go.

MikeOKC
03-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Aren't they putting one in Tulsa by 71st/Mingo?

I think OKC was slated to get one too, but they're typically not urban..

I have stayed at the Aloft in Plano and it was very nice. Cool. Hip. Whatever. But there's also an urban Aloft in downtown Dallas (http://www.aloftdallasdowntown.com/).

bluedogok
03-25-2010, 02:52 PM
An Aloft (and Westin) hotels recently opened up in The Domain lifestyle center here in Austin, which is quite a bit north of downtown. Most of the Alofts that I have seen are not urban.

MikeOKC
03-25-2010, 02:59 PM
An Aloft (and Westin) hotels recently opened up in The Domain lifestyle center here in Austin, which is quite a bit north of downtown. Most of the Alofts that I have seen are not urban.

The last one they opened is in downtown Milwaukee. However, you are mostly right. They're big on airport locations as well. In the Dallas metro, there is the one downtown, one in Plano and one now in Frisco. By the way, the Plano Aloft has incredible weekend deals all the time. They are right across the highway from Shops At Legacy, very convenient for that area. You can get weekend deals at $49 quite often. Nice place, too.

bluedogok
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
When we have stayed in the North Dallas area we usually stay at the NYLO Hotel (http://www.nylohotels.com/plano/plano-texas-hotel-1-1.aspx) on Preston just south of 121, they have been very reasonable when we have stayed there. They now have a Las Colinas location and one in the Providence, R.I. I haven't stayed in Downtown Dallas in many, many years, in fact I think the last time that I stayed there was probably an OU-Texas weekend before I moved to Dallas in 1991. When I was back in OKC from 1993-2003 I usually stayed out of downtown.

The W Hotel is being built in Downtown Austin right now, there were concerns about it being scrapped but I think most of the financing was in place before the crash so they continued with it although I think the hotel/condo mix of it has been changed some.

MikeOKC
03-25-2010, 03:13 PM
When we have stayed in the North Dallas area we usually stay at the NYLO Hotel (http://www.nylohotels.com/plano/plano-texas-hotel-1-1.aspx) on Preston just south of 121, they have been very reasonable when we have stayed there. They now have a Las Colinas location and one in the Providence, R.I. I haven't stayed in Downtown Dallas in many, many years, in fact I think the last time that I stayed there was probably an OU-Texas weekend before I moved to Dallas in 1991. When I was back in OKC from 1993-2003 I usually stayed out of downtown.

The W Hotel is being built in Downtown Austin right now, there were concerns about it being scrapped but I think most of the financing was in place before the crash so they continued with it although I think the hotel/condo mix of it has been changed some.

I stayed at the NYLO on Preston for two weeks waiting for my mini-condo at Legacy. It was okay, but they have the knock-off reputation. The aloft is the real deal and nicer than NYLO (in my opinion). After all, aloft is a Starwood brand and it's hard to top them. In fact, in July of '09 I posted here about how I thought an aloft would do well in OKC. (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/18487-bricktown-hotel-construction-stalled.html#post238166)

A 'W' in Austin? That's great!

edit: Not to confuse anyone, I travel a lot, live in three cities and own condos in two of them (OKC and Plano). I have a small rental in STL.

metro
03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I've stayed at the NYLO in Frisco last year for the OU-BYU game, very nice. They have since remodeled it slightly and made it "Texas-chic urba (with cow print, etc.)"

bluedogok
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I stayed at the NYLO on Preston for two weeks waiting for my mini-condo at Legacy. It was okay, but they have the knock-off reputation. The aloft is the real deal and nicer than NYLO (in my opinion). After all, aloft is a Starwood brand and it's hard to top them. In fact, in July of '09 I posted here about how I thought an aloft would do well in OKC. (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/18487-bricktown-hotel-construction-stalled.html#post238166)

A 'W' in Austin? That's great!
When I have stayed at NYLO it has been on an $89 rate, I think the Aloft was in the $169 range at the times that I have priced them. I think either would do well up there.

I think they have topped out the W and have been installing the glazing in the past few weeks.

circuitboard
03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
It blows my mind that Rogers, AR has an aloft and we don't...

circuitboard
03-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Speaking of hotels....

Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa

By ROBERT EVATT World Staff Writer
Published: 3/25/2010 4:28 PM
Last Modified: 3/25/2010 4:31 PM

A Cayman Islands lender filed suit seeking foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa, claiming the downtown hotel owes $25.78 million.

As part of the actions within the suit, filed Jan. 15 in Tulsa County District Court, Judge Rebecca Brett Nightingale placed the downtown hotel into receivership.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at Tulsa World: Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100325_32_0_ACayma709405)

kbsooner
03-25-2010, 08:08 PM
It blows my mind that Rogers, AR has an aloft and we don't...

and OKC doesn't have Walmart...

pearlbluevtx
03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
haven't stayed in one but think this one looks really cool

let's get it

Urban Boutique Hotels - Loft Lodging (http://www.nylohotels.com/urban-boutique.aspx)

Larry OKC
03-25-2010, 09:08 PM
and OKC doesn't have Walmart...

LOL...True (if you go to Wal-Mart's find a store, no matter what criteria you select (with the max radius), it returns Zero results every time.

And it used to be true that there were very few Wal-Marts within the OKC city limits, they built the stores where their competitors wouldn't (the demographics on paper showed them as being small towns)...just across the street in Bethany, Warr Acres, the Village etc. As the size of the stores increased (Super Centers), Wal-Mart kind of fell for the same demographics angle that their competitors once held and relocated them mostly within the OKC City limits. Had to be a huge shift in the sales tax revenue for the communities affected.

EBAH
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Speaking of hotels....

Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa

By ROBERT EVATT World Staff Writer
Published: 3/25/2010 4:28 PM
Last Modified: 3/25/2010 4:31 PM

A Cayman Islands lender filed suit seeking foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa, claiming the downtown hotel owes $25.78 million.

As part of the actions within the suit, filed Jan. 15 in Tulsa County District Court, Judge Rebecca Brett Nightingale placed the downtown hotel into receivership.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at Tulsa World: Lender seeks foreclosure against Crowne Plaza Tulsa (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100325_32_0_ACayma709405)

Bummer, I stay at the Crowne Plaza every time I go to Tulsa, it's the only real downtown hotel they have, and it is quite good. I'd be pretty sad to see them bite the dust.

kbsooner
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
LOL...True (if you go to Wal-Mart's find a store, no matter what criteria you select (with the max radius), it returns Zero results every time.

And it used to be true that there were very few Wal-Marts within the OKC city limits, they built the stores where their competitors wouldn't (the demographics on paper showed them as being small towns)...just across the street in Bethany, Warr Acres, the Village etc. As the size of the stores increased (Super Centers), Wal-Mart kind of fell for the same demographics angle that their competitors once held and relocated them mostly within the OKC City limits. Had to be a huge shift in the sales tax revenue for the communities affected.

Larry, not sure we're on the same page. I was angling for Walmart headquarters in Rogers/Bentonville area.

Larry OKC
03-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry if I misread...thought you were making a joke

Since you were replying to : " It blows my mind that Rogers, AR has an aloft and we don't..." with your Wal Mart comment, thought you were talking about stores, not headquarters. Unless the "aloft" comment was talking about headquarters too? In which case I am completely confused...LOL

HOT ROD
03-26-2010, 12:43 AM
that would be something if OKC could lure away the headquarters.

I actually find it surprising that the HQ is still there and not in a major city yet.

MikeOKC
03-26-2010, 02:23 AM
that would be something if OKC could lure away the headquarters.

I actually find it surprising that the HQ is still there and not in a major city yet.

That's never even been suggested. Wal-Mart is going no place. They are firmly entrenched in one of the fastest growing SMA's in all of America. Rogers, specifically, is a growing, modern, suburban area. That whole metro with Springdale, Bentonville, Fayeteville and Rogers is quite impressive. Many people have no idea what's happening in Northwest Arkansas.

Here's a relocation video produced by one of the several Chambers of Commerce in the area...take a look...you'll be surprised!
http://www.rogerslowell.com/relocation/video.asp (http://http://www.rogerslowell.com/relocation/video.asp)

Truth be told, we have nothing in OKC that can compare, for example, with Pinnacle Hills Promenade as an outdoor shopping venue. Wal-Mart and all the companies that have offices in the region (because of Wal-Mart) will never leave NWA. That area is exploding.

kbsooner
03-26-2010, 04:27 AM
That's never even been suggested. Wal-Mart is going no place. They are firmly entrenched in one of the fastest growing SMA's in all of America. Rogers, specifically, is a growing, modern, suburban area. That whole metro with Springdale, Bentonville, Fayeteville and Rogers is quite impressive. Many people have no idea what's happening in Northwest Arkansas.

Here's a relocation video produced by one of the several Chambers of Commerce in the area...take a look...you'll be surprised!
[URL=""]

Truth be told, we have nothing in OKC that can compare, for example, with Pinnacle Hills Promenade as an outdoor shopping venue. Wal-Mart and all the companies that have offices in the region (because of Wal-Mart) will never leave NWA. That area is exploding.

This is what I was getting at, but was too lazy to type! Truly an entire region built around a single company.

bluedogok
03-26-2010, 06:44 AM
This is what I was getting at, but was too lazy to type! Truly an entire region built around a single company.
There are also many of companies located or headquartered there because of their ties to Wal Mart as well.

Shake2005
03-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Not just one company, Tyson Chicken and JB Hunt are also based there.

metro
03-26-2010, 07:52 AM

http://www.rogerslowell.com/relocation/video.asp (http://http://www.rogerslowell.com/relocation/video.asp)

Exactly. I visited there last year as a friend works for the Walmart HQ. The HQ itself is a dump though, at least on the outside. HOTROD Walmart isn't going anywhere outside of Bentonville, AR. As others have said, that area is exploding and Walmart requires any retailer/supplier that wants to do business with them to locate an office in the tri-city region. Heck, downtown Fayetteville, AR has some things going for it that downtown OKC doesn't.

circuitboard
03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah I went there to visit a friend last year, that works for Wal-Mart of course and her husband works for a company that relocated because of Wal-Mart ties. It's a nice area, but to be honest it seemed kind of like a movie set. There was all this new nice stuff, but no one to be found. I was there on the weekend. But I am sure it is growing, just felt dead there.

metro
03-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah, it sure is laid out weird, kinda like a twilight zone.

mmonroe
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I was in Rogers a few years ago for the P&G sponsored LPGA tournament. There is a LOT of money in the Pinnacle area. The promenade is VERY nice. There still a lot of land around it to be developed. Excluding the Pinnacle area, and being a dry county, the rest of Rogers pretty much looks like OKC in the early '90s. It's a way back time machine, Beaver lake is nice though.

BG918
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Bummer, I stay at the Crowne Plaza every time I go to Tulsa, it's the only real downtown hotel they have, and it is quite good. I'd be pretty sad to see them bite the dust.

The Crowne Plaza won't go anywhere, if anything they will be rebranded into a different hotel. And I guess the Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Mayo, and Ambassador aren't real hotels?

circuitboard
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM
The Crowne Plaza won't go anywhere, if anything they will be rebranded into a different hotel. And I guess the Doubletree, Holiday Inn, Mayo, and Ambassador aren't real hotels?

Holiday Inn? Seriously?

MikeOKC
03-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Holiday Inn? Seriously?

Actually, BG918 rightfully called the Holiday Inn (Tulsa City Center location) a REAL hotel. We're not talking an "Express" - this is the full-service real deal. It's the newest hotel in downtown Tulsa (15-stories) and just opened. Holiday Inn Tulsa City Center (http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/tulms/hoteldetail?hpIataNumber=99602300)

HOT ROD
03-26-2010, 09:25 PM
well good for Tulsa. goody goody.

Im sure EBAH was stating his own opinion about Crowne Plaza being the ONLY true downtown hotel up there Tulsa. I mean, isn't Crowne Plaza the biggest brand that downtown Tulsa has? Maybe that is why he thinks what he thinks.

Im sure he wasn't trying to belittle poor little ole always picked-on Tulsa or the other hotels that are being built. Im sure he was just stating his own opinion, because he always stays at crowne plaza.

tulsooner
03-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Actually, BG918 rightfully called the Holiday Inn (Tulsa City Center location) a REAL hotel. We're not talking an "Express" - this is the full-service real deal. It's the newest hotel in downtown Tulsa (15-stories) and just opened. Holiday Inn Tulsa City Center (http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/tulms/hoteldetail?hpIataNumber=99602300)

Just so you know the Holiday Inn in DT Tulsa is a remodel, not new construction. It was 2 or 3 other names within the past 10 years.

MikeOKC
03-26-2010, 09:52 PM
well good for Tulsa. goody goody.

Im sure EBAH was stating his own opinion about Crowne Plaza being the ONLY true downtown hotel up there Tulsa. I mean, isn't Crowne Plaza the biggest brand that downtown Tulsa has? Maybe that is why he thinks what he thinks.

Im sure he wasn't trying to belittle poor little ole always picked-on Tulsa or the other hotels that are being built. Im sure he was just stating his own opinion, because he always stays at crowne plaza.

Good lordy. I always thought you were a grown man, but this kind of silliness makes me think otherwise. It's a city, Hot Rod, a city. That's all. We're a city. That's all. You take this kind of thing so personally that it's almost embarrasing at times to read. Reading old posts the other day, I was reading where you were offended that Oklahoma City wasn't shown on a national weather map, not realizing they leave out and rotate cities all the time, usually for graphic-placement purposes. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. You even thought yesterday that Wal-Mart should be convinced to move to OKC. I mean, I'm all for cheering our city on, but sometimes it's taken to ridiculous and silly extremes.

Just so you know the Holiday Inn in DT Tulsa is a remodel, not new construction. It was 2 or 3 other names within the past 10 years.

Thanks for the correction!

HOT ROD
03-26-2010, 10:14 PM
those are my opinions and those are yours.

Mike, You are entitled to say what you want and I am entitled to say what I want.

However, I take offense to your accusation and point to your post as evidence you should consider for yourself. Maybe next time you should either read my posts (as sometimes Im a little slow to my point) or just avoid my posts altogether.

In case you didn't notice, I was actually defending Poor little Tulsa, for being picked on (all the time on OKCTalk) - as all I said was he was stating his opinion of the quality of the hotel, not taking a stab at Tulsa's downtown hotel situation (which I also commended).

I think looking up someone's history to use for attack is quite Childish myself. If someone like me does not voice their opinion, how could things ever change in a city like OKC - that nobody cared about. .... Also, in case you didn't notice, this is an OKC forum and most of us talk about OKC renaissance and ideas on how to improve OKC. We don't purposely talk bad about other cities (same can't be said for other sites) but I don't want everything always turning into a "why don't we ever talk highly about Tulsa" session either. This is OKC Talk and this is the OKC section. ... deal with it.

So it looks like YOU were the childish one who took it personal that I was attacking "poor ole Tulsa". Boo hoo.

MikeOKC
03-26-2010, 10:36 PM
those are my opinions and those are yours.

Mike, You are entitled to say what you want and I am entitled to say what I want.

However, I take offense to your accusation and point to your post as evidence you should consider for yourself. Maybe next time you should either read my posts (as sometimes Im a little slow to my point) or just avoid my posts altogether.

In case you didn't notice, I was actually defending Poor little Tulsa, for being picked on (all the time on OKCTalk) - as all I said was he was stating his opinion of the quality of the hotel, not taking a stab at Tulsa's downtown hotel situation (which I also commended).

I think looking up someone's history to use for attack is quite Childish myself. If someone like me does not voice their opinion, how could things ever change in a city like OKC - that nobody cared about. .... Also, in case you didn't notice, this is an OKC forum and most of us talk about OKC renaissance and ideas on how to improve OKC. We don't purposely talk bad about other cities (same can't be said for other sites) but I don't want everything always turning into a "why don't we ever talk highly about Tulsa" session either. This is OKC Talk and this is the OKC section. ... deal with it.

So it looks like YOU were the childish one who took it personal that I was attacking "poor ole Tulsa". Boo hoo.

Hot Rod, Please. That post of yours was an attack on Tulsa and you know it. Why try to spin it? I'm just sick of that whole back and forth. Your post had nothing to do with anything except the clear purpose of taking a pot-shot at Tulsa. Childish, silly, immature, opinion, call it what you want, but don't make it look as if you didn't do what you clearly did.

I have never looked up your history to use for attacks. You misunderstood. I was reading through old posts and one of yours stood out (the weather map thing), then yesterday I responded to your post about thinking Wal-Mart might be persuaded to move to OKC. I've noticed your, uh, "enthusiasm," that's all.

I'm also well aware this is an OKC forum. It's even in my username! And, unlike you, I even live here. Thanks for the lecture.

If you want to continue, my PM works. This isn't good for the board.

HOT ROD
03-26-2010, 10:48 PM
actually it wasn't dissing Tulsa. I honestly couldn't care less and am sick of most threads turning into that. I was only stating EBAH's opinion could just be for the hotel and not Tulsa's downtown market itself.

Congrats on living in OKC, but I was born and raised there - and many on this forum like me being here, if nothing else to give an outside prospective. I've been a long champion of OKC's potential WAY before OKCTalk ever existed.

you weren't looking through my history, but you read through my old posts? ????? huh?

I might make recommendations that many other companies move to OKC too, after all - this is an OKC Renaissance forum. I'd do the same if I were from Tulsa or any other city. so, I think you should expect there might be some comments about getting businesses into OKC, even if unrealistic in reality - you never know until you try.

"If you want to continue, my PM works. This isn't good for the board. "

then why did you bring it up on the board?

Spartan
03-27-2010, 12:16 AM

I am really stunned to see the interior pics of that hotel. I remember one time we were visiting relatives in Tulsa when I was a kid, and their house was full so we got a room at a hotel very last minute--the hotel was the Downtown Plaza hotel, a real hellhole.. we woke up the next morning and the side of our floor across from the elevators had become a crime scene overnight because some dude jumped out a window.

The exterior is still pretty bad. I'd call it about par for a downtown Holiday Inn these days.

ljbab728
03-27-2010, 12:19 AM
I am really stunned to see the interior pics of that hotel. I remember one time we were visiting relatives in Tulsa when I was a kid, and their house was full so we got a room at a hotel very last minute--the hotel was the Downtown Plaza hotel, a real hellhole.. we woke up the next morning and the side of our floor across from the elevators had become a crime scene overnight because some dude jumped out a window.

The exterior is still pretty bad. I'd call it about par for a downtown Holiday Inn these days.

While it's nice for Tulsa to improve an eyesore it's not something I would want to trade for any of our new downtown hotels anyway.

Spartan
03-27-2010, 12:26 AM
Not even the Candlewood Suites? lol

What about the Bricktown Residence Inn under the big green shed?

Don't be so sure of those kinds of definitive statements about Downtown OKC quality..

ljbab728
03-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Not even the Candlewood Suites? lol

What about the Bricktown Residence Inn under the big green shed?

Don't be so sure of those kinds of definitive statements about Downtown OKC quality..

As far as the architecture and look of the hotel, I stand by my statment. There is nothing noteworthy or interesting about that hotel.

jbrown84
03-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah it looks very much like our former Holiday Inn next to the Montgomery on Main. I'll take the Residence Inn any day over that concrete box.

sroberts24
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
So Steve bout 3 month time frame before we hear an announcement on the new hotel?

Platemaker
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah it looks very much like our former Holiday Inn next to the Montgomery on Main. I'll take the Residence Inn any day over that concrete box.

I disagree... the Residence in is AWFUL!! Give me the box.

metro
04-07-2010, 12:44 PM
So Steve bout 3 month time frame before we hear an announcement on the new hotel?

According to G.Walker, we won't hear about anything new until after Project 180:LolLolLol

BG918
04-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Doubletree is a big name and may be the largest hotel in downtown Tulsa or about the same size as Crowne Plaza. OKC definitely has more new construction hotels but Tulsa has several new and ongoing renovations including the Holiday Inn (MUCH better than the Great Western that used to be there), the Mayo, and the Courtyard Marriott in the Atlas building near 4th & Boston opening this summer. There are two hotel proposals in the vicinity of the convention and BOK centers including one that repurposes the old MCM City Hall Tower. The Hampton Inn in Bricktown is a great addition and one of those would be nice to have in Tulsa.

Steve
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM

Nope. I'm not going out on that limb. In this economy any deal that's real this month could totally fall apart next week.

kevinpate
04-07-2010, 06:45 PM

This got me to wondering. What went into the former HI on Main anyway?

MikeOKC
04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
This got me to wondering. What went into the former HI on Main anyway?

It's a conspiracy place if you believe some. No signs, nothing. People coming and going all the time from the airport.

Actually, it's the international headquarters of a Bill Gothard-supported outfit called the "International Association of Character Cities." Tom Hill with Kimray actually started the group and it has grown into a huge organization. For those who don't know, Tom is an extremely nice guy but is far, far to the right of Jim Inhofe or Tom Coburn. Kimray used to advertise in the magazine of the John Birch Society and has always been linked to the far, far right. The IACC (in the old Holiday Inn) is criticized by many for having close ties to certain Dominionist groups. You might know their big project CharacterFirst! (http://www.characterfirst.com/).

The national magazine In These Times (far left) did an expose of this group and their secrecy (all run out of the old Holiday Inn on Main here in Oklahoma City). Fascinating reading wherever you stand on the issue:
Cult of Character -- In These Times (http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/2450/)

Doug Loudenback
04-07-2010, 10:57 PM
It's a conspiracy place if you believe some. No signs, nothing. People coming and going all the time from the airport.

Actually, it's the international headquarters of a Bill Gothard-supported outfit called the "International Association of Character Cities." Tom Hill with Kimray actually started the group and it has grown into a huge organization. For those who don't know, Tom is an extremely nice guy but is far, far to the right of Jim Inhofe or Tom Coburn. Kimray used to advertise in the magazine of the John Birch Society and has always been linked to the far, far right. The IACC (in the old Holiday Inn) is criticized by many for having close ties to certain Dominionist groups. You might know their big project CharacterFirst! (http://www.characterfirst.com/).

The national magazine In These Times (far left) did an expose of this group and their secrecy (all run out of the old Holiday Inn on Main here in Oklahoma City). Fascinating reading wherever you stand on the issue:
Cult of Character -- In These Times (http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/2450/)
Concerning the above, here's an old thread that arose from field research for my still undone downtown clickable map which might be of interest ... I wanted to know what the building was used for so I paid it a visit: http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/5262-former-holiday-inn-bill-gothard-s-institute-basic-life-principles.html?highlight=holiday+inn+gothard

MikeOKC
04-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Good stuff, Doug. I saw somewhere in your old thread about Kimray's support and his connection to the John Birch Society. I've always heard the same thing about Tom Hill and Kimray. From what I hear, the whole thing is a huge outfit but keeps things pretty close to the vest in typical Bill Gothard style.

jbrown84
04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I disagree... the Residence in is AWFUL!! Give me the box.

Nope. :P

BoulderSooner
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
maybe this project is coming back ... or it is a misprint in the latest Bricktown UD agenda

A. Applicant Presentation
Chetan Patel of Patel Design and Ralph Martinez of RGM Architects will
make a presentation to the Committee, for informational purposes only, on
a proposed 131-room hotel at the northeast corner of E. Reno Avenue and
Lincoln Boulevard.

Steve
02-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Yep. Not dead.

Pete
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
I suppose this is good news but it seems we are getting close -- if not there already -- to being fully saturated with lower end, through-the-wall-HVAC type hotels in Bricktown.

It will be interesting to see the design they are proposing.

BoulderSooner
02-11-2013, 11:07 AM
I suppose this is good news but it seems we are getting close -- if not there already -- to being fully saturated with lower end, through-the-wall-HVAC type hotels in Bricktown.

this would be good .. either way IMHO it really is a horrible place for a hotel .(next the the interstate across from a gas station and body shop)

Rover
02-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks for throwing in the "through the wall" comment...it is a pet peeve of mine. :-). However, in this instance, given it is next to the freeways the "white noise" of the units in the room may actually be a good thing. They will mask the traffic noise and the exterior noise is mostly also masked.

catch22
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks for throwing in the "through the wall" comment...it is a pet peeve of mine. :-). However, in this instance, given it is next to the freeways the "white noise" of the units in the room may actually be a good thing. They will mask the traffic noise and the exterior noise is mostly also masked.

Not directly referring to heating and air, how many rooms can this market support? We probably have upwards of 1,000 rooms proposed or under construction in a 1 mile radius not including any rooms the convention center hotel would bring.

BoulderSooner
02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Not directly referring to heating and air, how many rooms can this market support? We probably have upwards of 1,000 rooms proposed or under construction in a 1 mile radius not including any rooms the convention center hotel would bring.

tons in the downtown area ..... now if i owned a hotel off of meridian or some where outside the core of down town i might start to worry

kevinpate
02-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Nah, the meridian area does a right fair amount of business relating to the fairgrounds traffic and some military setups as well. I don't think rooms in BT will much impact that area. I would think the motel folk in Moore might feel some of it. Maybe Norman, but not all that much. There have been several new blocks of rooms open in Norman in recent years, and even with all the new, I've not seen any of the older places board up their windows yet.

catch22
02-11-2013, 12:17 PM
tons in the downtown area ..... now if i owned a hotel off of meridian or some where outside the core of down town i might start to worry

True. Saturation of the low-frill/budget might actually be a good thing. It will make it easier for quality chains to "skim" off the top. All of the people looking for good deals would already be filling the cheap rooms, allowing for the hotels aimed at more expensive products to not have to worry about balancing quality and price and to focus only on premium travelers.

This technique also is used in airlines, that's why the premium network carriers don't worry about the low-frill budget carriers as much as they used to, the low-frill carriers suck in the cost sensitive passengers allowing the network carriers to focus on the higher fare passengers.