View Full Version : Moore Memories

Pages : 1 [2]

rondvu
04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I am 49 soon to be 50. My parents moved to Moore were the 1st owner of the home located at 935 W Main. It cost them 9k and the payments were 68.00 a month. I remember taking the trolly to look at all the houses that were for sale. There were blocks of them. The neighboorhood symbol at the time was a Scottish guy with a tartin print and a hat, maybe even bagpipes. Our neighbors were the Eddy's, Walkers, White's Kerr's Cagles, Henshaws, Clevengers and Stemm's to name a few. We would play in the field (1000 block of Main). There was a cawdad pond there and a dump on Santa Fe which was a dirt road. I remember Plaza Towers being built. We had one car and would often walk to Thrifty-Wise and Taste-Freeze. We would fill up our Plymouth at the Apco on 4th and Wilson. I attended 1st Emanual Baptist when it had just the corner building with a gravel parking lot. This was before Danny Thompson.
I went to the opening of the park and library, my first book to check out was Curious George. We shopped at Otasco and TG&Y. Our optomerist was Dr. Ledbetter. We would go to the creepy theater on Broadway and watch scarey movies. I got my first transistor radio (free) at Hoffmans when we bought a new mattress. Once at the City of Moore shopping center we went to the Easter egg hunt, I found several of the prize eggs (including the golden egg). I was on top of a mound of dirt looking for more candy eggs when this older kid came grabbed my basket took my prize eggs and candy, pushed me down the hill and threw my basket at me. Before my dad could get over there and beat this bully's A@@ he jumped on his sting-ray and rode off.

I started Southgate in 1964 my teachers were 1st Mrs. Goodwin, 2nd Mrs. Starkey and 3rd Mrs. Mobbs. My brother was a cub scout and we would go to Golf Acres to participate in the scouts activities. We would hear KOMA in our oven. We moved away on April 1st 1968 never to return

mrbubba81
04-09-2009, 07:53 AM
I remember when the Moore Taco Bueno was good. Way back in the day.

soonervegas
04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Are you talking about the Bueno on 12th and Santa Fe? Man I used to love that place back when I went to Highland West.

Jesseda
04-14-2009, 02:15 PM
does anybody remember the two player game they use to have there at bueno it laid flat like a table. My parents use to take me and my sister there a lot. Grat memories with the family, i thought the entrance back then was really neat

mrbubba81
04-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Yep, Bueno at 12th & Santa Fe. To say I was appalled by the ugly 'futuristic' remodel a few years ago would be an understatement. Way back in the day, I went to Santa Fe Elem. and my homeroom teacher would go get lunch for us kids that did well on some test. That was a big deal....to be eating "out" in 6th grade! hello! Their quality has gone way downhill.

OnlyinOK
05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Speaking of "Moore Memories" anyone seen the NewsOK.com page regarding the May 3, 1999, tornados?

Compelling...I can't believe it's been 10 years.

http://newsok.com/may3?custom_click=lead_story_photo

TKDhotstud
05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Lived in Moore my whole life. On 12th and Eastern, I remember when that there was a grocery store there where today there is a Furniture now, but used to be a grocery store and had a movie store with it too. I remember that long long time ago and lived right behind it.

Jesseda
05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
i use to live in that area as a kid as well, the easthills addition. That store was a pratts, when i wasa kid to me it had everything, movies, a cookie shop in back also a area where you could get something to eat and sit down, a nice florist area.

mrbubba81
05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Pratts used to be a great chain of grocery stores. I used to live next to the one on 240 & Walker. Used to ride my bike from the Los Pueblos apartments across the field to Pratts and get a Fresca! Oh, the field was what is now David Stanley Chevrolet. Oh, how I hate typing that name. ...but that's a nother topic. :doh:

Dio
08-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I moved from Little Axe to across the street from Highland East in 1988. Went to Moore HS for junior year and moved during the summer near 104th and Western and went to Westmoore my senior year.
I remember there was a pool hall/arcade on the frontage road between 27th and 89th. Spent a lot of quarters playing games there and took a few dates there. It became a statue place later and is now an RV place. I'm sure back in the day it was probably seedy as hell, but I had a blast there.

I remember 19th street flooding under the train tracks every time it rained a couple inches.

There was a big old white house on the hill right next to the train tracks. Always looked kinda spooky.

I was a photographer for the Moore HS paper and took some photos of the history teacher who would dress up in period clothing to teach. He was Teacher of the Year and time magazine asked the school for his picture and they used the picture I had taken.

I remember eating lunch at Kit's Chinese every day back when it was still fairly new. Made for a good school lunch and good times with friends.

That was Mike Atkins, who passed away this week. RIP

Dio
08-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Golf Acres, then a few years after that closed there was a Pitch N Putt across from Earlywine

SOONER8693
08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
That was Mike Atkins, who passed away this week. RIP
Mike Adkins.

JAQ
08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Yes, I remember. I think it was called "The movies" in Moore. I remember seeing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory there and years later I saw Led Zeppelin (The song remains the same.

MrZ
08-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Mr. Adkins died? Darn, he was a good teacher and an interesting character. My son goes to Moore HS and he would have loved to have him as a history teacher. RIP Mr. Adkins.

OkieInTexas
08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
I bought a new house in Moore in 1972 (paid a little over 19K for it) around NW17th and Sunrise. Moore wasn't very large than, mainly NW 27th to SW 19th (north to south) and Sante Fe to Eastern (east to west), but since I came from a small town in western Oklahoma, Moore was huge!!!

I worked at Star Buildings on 89th and I-35. My youngest son was born in '74 at the Moore Municipal Hospital.

I remember the Mr. Burger, Mr Gatti's Pizza and of course Del Rancho. There weren't very many place to eat where you could go in and actually sit down, but with 2 small (and very active) sons, that was usually best for everyone to just eat in the car.

Someone mentioned being able to hear KOMA through their oven, I had a friend that lived close to the towers and they got the signal through their bed springs!!!

Moved from Moore in 1981, don't get back through there much anymore, but last time through, it sure had changed.

ktybug
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
I just joined CityTalk and found the Moore page. we moved to Moore in 1962 when I was 6. Went through the Central elementary, Central Junior High and graduated in 73 from Moore High School. We lived just off I35. In fact we lived on a dirt road and watch 35 being built. Used to sit on the stacks of pallets they would leave and watch what little traffic we had go by. Is anybody old enough to remember Starr's discount in the shopping center with Buchanans. How about Miss Nita the cashier at Buchanans that was there for eons. Moore was a powerhouse football team then, never missed a game. Mr. Tener was the postmaster and we loved to shop at Anthony's for cloths. They were just down from the grocery. Does anyone remember Mr. Pigg that taught science and Mr. Fugate that taught drivers ed and math? I have no bad memories of my 35 plus years there.

ktybug
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM
My memories of Taco Bueno are a little more racey than yours. My sister and I would go through the drive through just before they closed on Saturday night at 2am and get the biggest Nacho Supreme they had. Great to soak up all the alcohol!!

ktybug
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Does anyone remember hanging out at Cowboy Corner across from McDonalds?

TornadoKegan
06-26-2023, 04:04 PM
Speaking of "Moore Memories" anyone seen the NewsOK.com page regarding the May 3, 1999, tornados?

Compelling...I can't believe it's been 10 years.

http://newsok.com/may3?custom_click=lead_story_photo

Now its been 10 years since May 20th

bille
01-08-2024, 09:32 AM
Cindyl57,

His name was Yancy Cotrell. I also graduated in 94. He was a great person.

I've been on OKC Talk for years now, I'm not sure how I missed this thread. So many old memories since growing up in Moore (we moved here in '78).

Yancy was a great dude, we were BFFs in Junior High and close in high school but slowly lost touch with one another shortly after graduation ('94) and I went into the military. Social media has done some great things with reconnecting old acquaintances and Yancy was one of those for me. I found him on Myspace in early 2006, he had relocated down south to Ada/Sulphur to be closer to his dad. Sadly, shortly after reconnecting he had a heart attack was hospitalized and never recovered. He passed in April of 2006.