View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

USG '60
12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Isn't that the one that was the Yale but changed it's name when it got "modernized?"

dmoor82
12-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I remember growing up and going to the old drive in movie theatre on western,had alot of fun there! does any1 know if is still open?

Rickster
12-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Generals64, yes I'm a southsider, Capital Hill 1971. Although I've lived in various parts of the city in my younger years, most of the time I lived near 22nd and S. Kentucky.
I've mentioned this theater to people I felt should have remembered it and no one seems to. I was begining to think I was wrong about it. Thanks for confirming it was there. Yes, maybe Soonergirl26 will post it.

Generals64
12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
I remember growing up and going to the old drive in movie theatre on western,had alot of fun there! does any1 know if is still open?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The drive-in on Western is still open but closed for the season. USG60 there waa movie house on Robinson ....during the fifties...The Yale is still standing, it, on the North side of Commerce st. (25th st. to the young guys). The one on Robinson was somewhere around the old Sheen building.

Redskins/General
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Was the small gas station on the NW corner of Grant H.S. owner by "Tiny" Baker? What was it's name? I worked there for a short amount of time in the 60s, but I can't remember much about it.
It was named "Piggy Bank Gas" in the sixties!!

Redskins/General
12-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Hudson Hornet. I remember when gas went to .34 gal. Having a fit, I was in my senior year at Grant.
I bought a 55 chevy which was parked at this station in 1964, it was an "Apco" at that time! Wasn't the Hudson station next door to the south?????

Redskins/General
12-23-2008, 02:53 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, but I don't remember the name of it. We had talked about this before and Soonergirl26 came up with the name.....I'm sure she'll post it after reading this...You're new, where did you go to school and are you a Southsider?
Capitol Theatre.....

Redskins/General
12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
I bought a 55 chevy which was parked at this station in 1964, it was an "Apco" at that time! Wasn't the Hudson station next door to the south?????
The "Apco station was on the S.W. corner of S.W. 51st and Penn and the Hudson station was on the East side of Penn just a little bit south of the school!!

Rickster
12-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks Redskins/General. But your answer raised more concerns with me. I had thought at one time it was the Capitol, but when I questioned my dad about it, he said he didn't remember a theater there and that the Capitol was on Main St. (310 W. Main).

So, I did alittle checking and came across a website called Cinema Treasures. It said that the Capitol theater was at 310 W. Main until 1928, then the Capital sign was moved to 2510 S. Robinson to dress up Paramount's southside "Circle" theater, also known as the Capitol and the Capri. I don't quite know what it was called when I went there in the early 60's, but both Capital and Capri come to mind.

I just glad to have it confirmed there was a theater there. Everyone I've talked to about it thought I was nut. LOL

grantgeneral78
12-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Hudson Hornet. I remember when gas went to .34 gal. Having a fit, I was in my senior year at Grant.

what year did you graduate Monkey? and from what school.....maybe gas will go back down to .34...ok I am wishing it would!

:ohno:

grantgeneral78
12-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Generals64, yes I'm a southsider, Capital Hill 1971. Although I've lived in various parts of the city in my younger years, most of the time I lived near 22nd and S. Kentucky.
I've mentioned this theater to people I felt should have remembered it and no one seems to. I was begining to think I was wrong about it. Thanks for confirming it was there. Yes, maybe Soonergirl26 will post it.

Rickster do you remember my old body shop on 25th and kentucky it was BOOMER BODY SHOP. You probably drove by it a million times. My grandma also worked at MAGIC CLEANERS -caddy corner from our body shop for manyyyyyyy years.

MonkeyBiz6903
12-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Rickster do you remember my old body shop on 25th and kentucky it was BOOMER BODY SHOP. You probably drove by it a million times. My grandma also worked at MAGIC CLEANERS -caddy corner from our body shop for manyyyyyyy years.
My dad worked there in the 50's, when Jake Staford had owned it.

Redskins/General
12-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks Redskins/General. But your answer raised more concerns with me. I had thought at one time it was the Capitol, but when I questioned my dad about it, he said he didn't remember a theater there and that the Capitol was on Main St. (310 W. Main).

So, I did alittle checking and came across a website called Cinema Treasures. It said that the Capitol theater was at 310 W. Main until 1928, then the Capital sign was moved to 2510 S. Robinson to dress up Paramount's southside "Circle" theater, also known as the Capitol and the Capri. I don't quite know what it was called when I went there in the early 60's, but both Capital and Capri come to mind.

I just glad to have it confirmed there was a theater there. Everyone I've talked to about it thought I was nut. LOL
I lived in that neighborhood in the fifties and sixties, it was definitely the Capitol at that time but before that I couldn't tell you. It was just south of "Sussy's" on the
East side of Robinson. The Theatre you mentioned on main street was also called the Criterion. It was next door to the empire pool hall which was up stairs above.

Rickster
12-24-2008, 07:53 AM
You're right Redskins/General. Although I was young at the time, I do remember going there. I remember seeing the movie Black Sunday there. There was one scene in that movie that sent me running out of that theater and all the way home.

Yes grantgeneral78. I remember the body shop and magic cleaners. Although I didn't go to them, I remember driving by all the time. I read one of your earlier post asking about the little store at sw 22nd and Kentucky. That was Coker's Corner. In the 60's it was a Texaco gas station ran by Herschel Wilson. I worked for him for about a year when I was 15. Then when he went out, Mr. Coker, who lived in the grey house behind it, bought it and opened the convenient store.

Rickster
12-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Generals64, I read in a couple of your earlier post about the swimming pool at Rotary Park (Will Rogers Courts). I went there alot back in the early to mid 60's. Do you remember the Old swimming pool in the park near the pavilion. It's all filled in with dirt now, but back when I hung out there it wasn't. Although it hadn't been in use for years, you could still climb down into it. We use to try to get girls to go in it with us and smooch. That street that ran on the west side of Will Rogers Courts and the old city building was Westwood. Across the street from the city building was a cinder block building that was our paper route station and just to the south of it use to be an old bar and grill (can't remember it's name).

USG '60
12-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Fifty years ago tomorrow, Christmas '58, at age 16 my brother and I went around in my '51 Studebaker and picked up several friends and drove downtown. We saw that the Empire Room was ACTUALLY opened. We decided to go shoot some snooker. The problem was that I was the only one old enough to play, as the others, including my brother, were only 14. BUT I was the littlest one and the youngest in appearence, so we attemptd a ploy. I went up to the counter and showed my DL. The guy looked at the DL then me several times and you could see him thinking that it just didn't seem right but he let us all in without checking the others. We played in a nearly empty room for 2 or 3 hours. When mom found out her sons had played pool on Christmas Day she cryed. I sorta wish that was the worst thing I did to make her cry, but alas, at was not the case.

MonkeyBiz6903
12-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Was it the Criterion theater, where the ending of the Dillinger movie was filmed?

Generals64
12-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I am so glad there is some new blood on this thread. Not sure about the Criterion being where the Dillinger movie was filmed (for the ending) but, there was a theater (I think called the state) that looked somewhat familiar to that scene in the movie. You guys are bringing back more cob webs than I can remember.....We had lots of fun Downtown (Huh Redskin/General ?)...I remember seeing Minnesota Fats playing pool in the snooker room above the Criterion.....Didn't really care who is was then....but, He was good......Didn't look at all like Jackie Gleason....Glad Redskin/General is back.....Have you seen Jerry Stewart lately?????????

Redskins/General
12-24-2008, 04:21 PM
I am so glad there is some new blood on this thread. Not sure about the Criterion being where the Dillinger movie was filmed (for the ending) but, there was a theater (I think called the state) that looked somewhat familiar to that scene in the movie. You guys are bringing back more cob webs than I can remember.....We had lots of fun Downtown (Huh Redskin/General ?)...I remember seeing Minnesota Fats playing pool in the snooker room above the Criterion.....Didn't really care who is was then....but, He was good......Didn't look at all like Jackie Gleason....Glad Redskin/General is back.....Have you seen Jerry Stewart lately?????????
I wouldn't know Jerry Stewart if he walked in the front door. I know who he is and saw him at a car show years ago with a nice red 60 vette. Didn't he own the speed parts place on south May ave? I always heard he was a big corvette guy!!! I'm really not back in gear yet, but it won't be long. Tell Kay and the boy's I said Merry Christmas!!

USG '60
12-24-2008, 04:42 PM
We mean JIM Stewart, don't we? The Dillinnger deal was at the Midwest or the Harbor, NOT the Criterion. Speaking of the Criterion. I had 3 friends who were ushers during the year they ran Ben Hur. They each learned the dialogue word for word and could point out dozens of "mistakes." like contrails in the sky, dead guys getting up to fight again, tire tracks in the dirt, and on and on.

Generals64
12-24-2008, 04:48 PM
You to on the Merry Christmas:...........Jim Stewart is the brother that owned the Corvettes and Corvette Center. I thought you knew those guys. Jim went to Heronville and he should be about your age. He also went to Grant for a couple of Years as well as Capitol Hill. He really should be close to your age if you are a couple of years older than I am. Boy, this Christmas has been a "Hoot".....Notice we have some new blood on this thread...Kinda fun listening to the younger guys talk about things that both you and I saw happen. The one about the Criterion was not the place as in the movie, Dillinger was shot by a small movie house from an alley. The old Park theater is where I thought that was filmed........Jerry Stewart is about our age though, I think a couple of years younger....There was a Stewart sister (pretty Foxy) and she married John Grissom from Capitol Hill. He's a year younger (in school) than I am....Hey!!!! Have a Merry Christmas and remember that once Christ stays in the word you and yours will always be blessed.......mean that....

Rickster
12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Merry Christmas to all and to all a Happy New Year.

MonkeyBiz6903
12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I found it in the Journal Record. The Midwest was used as The Biograph.

USG '60
12-25-2008, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=Generals64;162118] 3. Does anyone remember Emory Ashpaugh? Built the most exotic 55 chevy in OKC...went to Grant and was envied by everyone {even teachers}. He a bunch of
guys his junior year and too much beer and too much nervr he dove off the Falls at turner Falls. pushed his neck in and almost killed himself:...confined to a wheelchair until he just recently passed away.

4. Bobby Atherton: The girls swoon over him (really it was his purple lowered 51 Chevy)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connie Hahn:...cha...cha...cha..............Janice Treichler:........Cha-cha-cha:......
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, General, I told you when I came on here that there were tons of things I could have responded to. This old post of your's had several. A few minutes Emory crossed my mind and I googled his name. The only one that showed up was this very post.

Emory lived 2 doors from me from my 8th thru 12th grades, his 7th thru 11th. He had a 16 2/3 revolution record player under the dashboard of his wicked Chevy. We would always attract a croud at Hollie's. My brother and I called him Injury after the accident.

Atherton's big brag about his car was that the front was lowered to the point that you couldn't fit a pack of cigarettes under it lying on it's side. It made sparks as he hit tiny little dips in the road and huge SCRAPping noises when he hit big ones.

I saw Connie Hahn when she was in her early forties and she was simply STUNNING. What a gorgeous woman. Made an ol' boy hurt.

Generals64
12-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey guy, I remember Emory very well...If you lived by him you didn't live too far from me....you would have been on the East side of May...I lived on the West. Matter of fact you lived pretty close to the Grape's house and not too far from my wife. Emory had a beautiful car and then the stupid accident....I too saw he had passed away not too long ago. Johnny Usery had one of the most versatile '55 Chevy's on the southside....(he too has passed away in a car wreck). Bobby Atherton and my sister dated for some time....I got to ride in the Purple Beast....thought I was soooooo cool.....Red/Gen probably knew both of those guys. I remember when Atherton had the car in primer and my dad couldn't understand why he lowered it so.....He couldn't race though so my dad figured there wouldn't be much racing.... Bring on some more memories...by the way Yes Connie made a beautiful older lady...I talked with Janice at the last school reunion and (are you ready?????) I just saw some recent pictures of Vickie Siekel (wife taught with her sister) whew................She was my pal in my Junior year.......Yep got to carry her books one time.....duh....slave labor..

USG '60
12-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I figured Vicki wouldn't make it into adulthood. And now you tell me she looks good still. That is good. Weird family, indeed. :rolleyes::wink:

MonkeyBiz6903
12-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Well I asked my folks today over Christmas dinner. Dad said it was the Capitol. Then I found out my mother worked there for about a month, around 1952. I never knew that.:ohno:

Rickster
12-25-2008, 07:23 PM
I use to go to the Capitol more often than the others. I think because it was alittle cheaper maybe, I don't remember.

I was visiting with my girlfriend and her parents earlier this afternoon (they are in their
70's) and they said that Dodson's Cafateria started out as a basement diner in one of the store in Capital Hill. That was a new one on me. Has anyone else heard of that.

Rickster
12-25-2008, 07:24 PM
BTW, how do you like my picture. I couldn't believe they actually had my baby picture on here.

grantgeneral78
12-25-2008, 09:07 PM
My dad worked there in the 50's, when Jake Staford had owned it.

Monkey what did your dad do when he worked there?...thats cool someone has something in common with the old place.

grantgeneral78
12-25-2008, 09:09 PM
You're right Redskins/General. Although I was young at the time, I do remember going there. I remember seeing the movie Black Sunday there. There was one scene in that movie that sent me running out of that theater and all the way home.

Yes grantgeneral78. I remember the body shop and magic cleaners. Although I didn't go to them, I remember driving by all the time. I read one of your earlier post asking about the little store at sw 22nd and Kentucky. That was Coker's Corner. In the 60's it was a Texaco gas station ran by Herschel Wilson. I worked for him for about a year when I was 15. Then when he went out, Mr. Coker, who lived in the grey house behind it, bought it and opened the convenient store.

Rickster do you remember JOE PHILLIPS who had the little convience store on about 27th or 28th and kentucky...that was the coolest place with the meat market in in with the old wood floors...sure miss him as well.

grantgeneral78
12-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Merry Christmas you guys and gals, it has been a very memorable and fun year lets carry this on into the coming year....may god bless you and yours.

Rickster
12-26-2008, 06:34 AM
No grantgeneral78, I didn't know Joe Phillips. I have been in that store but only a time or two. When I was real young, there were two stores in Park View Village. Later on one of those closed and never reopened. I went to those stores most of the time. I worked at one for about a year.

USG '60
12-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey guy, I remember Emory very well...If you lived by him you didn't live too far from me....you would have been on the East side of May...I lived on the West. Matter of fact you lived pretty close to the Grape's house and not too far from my wife. Emory had a beautiful car and then the stupid accident....I too saw he had passed away not too long ago. Johnny Usery had one of the most versatile '55 Chevy's on the southside....(he too has passed away in a car wreck). Bobby Atherton and my sister dated for some time....I got to ride in the Purple Beast....thought I was soooooo cool.....Red/Gen probably knew both of those guys. I remember when Atherton had the car in primer and my dad couldn't understand why he lowered it so.....He couldn't race though so my dad figured there wouldn't be much racing.... Bring on some more memories...by the way Yes Connie made a beautiful older lady...I talked with Janice at the last school reunion and (are you ready?????) I just saw some recent pictures of Vickie Siekel (wife taught with her sister) whew................She was my pal in my Junior year.......Yep got to carry her books one time.....duh....slave labor..

Yeah, we lived at 2804 and Emory at 2812 on 46th Terr. I do recall a chick a year or two younger than me named Grape but I was not aware of siblings or where they lived. She was a pretty blond. The Usery name rings no bells.

The summer before my senior year we moved 10 blocks south to 56th across the street from Leroy Wilson. It was always a big thrill when he would be testing his dragster's engine in his driveway.

The Old Downtown Guy
12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I just got back from C.B. Speegle's funeral. He coached football, basketball and golf at Capitol Hill for almost 40 years. My old neighborhood pal Rusty Palmer and I went together. Rusty went to Grant so he could play football since C.B. III played Quarterback at Capitol Hill. We ran into lots of mutual friends and it was nice to be reminded of how important coaches can be in the lives of kids.

Michael Smith

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on.

USG '60
12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
I just got back from C.B. Speegle's funeral. He coached football, basketball and golf at Capitol Hill for almost 40 years. My old neighborhood pal Rusty Palmer and I went together. Rusty went to Grant so he could play football since C.B. III played Quarterback at Capitol Hill. We ran into lots of mutual friends and it was nice to be reminded of how important coaches can be in the lives of kids.

Michael Smith

Is Rusty Palmer in town? I haven't seen him since our 25 reunion. If you know how to get ahold of him would you send me a PM? I knew him long before he went to Grant as we went to church together for years and we went to college together too. Please holler at me.

MonkeyBiz6903
12-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Monkey what did your dad do when he worked there?...thats cool someone has something in common with the old place.

He was a painter. That was so long ago, seems more like memory from a dream. Did you know Jake Stafford? Last I saw of him, he moved back to Arkansas.

Generals64
12-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Yeah, we lived at 2804 and Emory at 2812 on 46th Terr. I do recall a chick a year or two younger than me named Grape but I was not aware of siblings or where they lived. She was a pretty blond. The Usery name rings no bells.

The summer before my senior year we moved 10 blocks south to 56th across the street from Leroy Wilson. It was always a big thrill when he would be testing his dragster's engine in his driveway.
------------------------------------------------------------------------The sister you are remembering was Marilyn's older sister Pat.Both of them were and still are easy on the eyes....whoops, I didn't say that.....

grantgeneral78
12-27-2008, 06:48 AM
He was a painter. That was so long ago, seems more like memory from a dream. Did you know Jake Stafford? Last I saw of him, he moved back to Arkansas.

My father knows him better than me but yes I know him. That was what I heard also that he had moved. I will ask my father to see if he knows for sure....did you know mercer who owned the building itself?

grantgeneral78
12-27-2008, 06:51 AM

Michael Smith

Yes GUY I seen part of his funeral on TV I did not even know he passed away, he was truly a good influence on so many young mens lives.

TeriOKC
12-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Yes, Mr. Speegle was a legend, beloved to all - not only Redskins, but Generals and Spartans alike. My mother in law and late father in law both graduated from CHHS in 1950 and she still gets together on a regular basis with many of the older Redskins. He was my sweet little Daddy's age, God rest his precious soul.

We have our two daughters, their husbands and our two little grandchildren here this holiday - little Chloe's first Christmas!

Did anyone get hail last night? I think we got some about 4:30am here on the northside.

Do any of you remember the Brothertons? My sister dated one of them for a while. For some reason, I was thinking about them this morning. I believe one of them has already passed away, but I may be wrong?

Teri

yukongirl
12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh my gosh!!! I just joined this site today and am so excited to read this post of Southside OKC Memories.
My dad owned Elmwood Swimming Pool at 4901 South Shields. The Sooner Huddle was just across the street and our Dance Hall was just north of the Swimming Pool. Behind the Swimming Pool were 33 rental units consisting of mobile homes,cabins, duplexes and 2 small houses.
We used to go to the Red Skin Theater in Capitol Hill and then to the Western Dip on Western Avenue. My dad would take us to Spring Lake Amusement Park where we got in free, since we let Mr Staton and his family in free at Elmwood. I would spend hours in the penney arcade and riding the roller coaster. What a great time we had back then.

yukongirl
12-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Does anybody remember the Western Dip @ 58th & S. Western? It was affectionately called the Grease Pit.

Yes, I remember the Western Dip on Western. Those were the days!

Does anyone remember Cagles Drive In on South Shields?

yukongirl
12-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Wasn't it on Grand and S. Robinson and called the Alamo Courts? Maybe it's a different place. El Charrito's was just south of it in the apartment complex.

I remember Alamo Courts, it was on 44th and Robinson I think.

USG '60
12-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Now now, good girls didn't know about Alamo Courts.:Smiley036:redface:

Spring Lake got a lot of my money but Elmwood got most of it. I LOVED Elmwood.

Generals64
12-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Now now, good girls didn't know about Alamo Courts.:Smiley036:redface:

Spring Lake got a lot of my money but Elmwood got most of it. I LOVED Elmwood.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You're right about the location of the Alamo Courts...but, as USG60 said don't brag about knowing where it was. It has been demolished for some time.....

Generals64
12-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh my gosh!!! I just joined this site today and am so excited to read this post of Southside OKC Memories.
My dad owned Elmwood Swimming Pool at 4901 South Shields. The Sooner Huddle was just across the street and our Dance Hall was just north of the Swimming Pool. Behind the Swimming Pool were 33 rental units consisting of mobile homes,cabins, duplexes and 2 small houses.
We used to go to the Red Skin Theater in Capitol Hill and then to the Western Dip on Western Avenue. My dad would take us to Spring Lake Amusement Park where we got in free, since we let Mr Staton and his family in free at Elmwood. I would spend hours in the penney arcade and riding the roller coaster. What a great time we had back then.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your dad should be in the Southside OKC hall of Fame (IF THERE WERE ONE)....I spent many an hour at Elmwood....Got thrown off the third once didn't have the nerve to jump or dive.....Watch many a girl suntan...Always went on the top of the Snackbar....Older girls were there....even a young guy could dream. I still have a brick from the old Redskin theater when they demolished it.....My sister worked at the Western Dip while growing up. She made 13 cents per hour plus tips (big money Huh?).

Rickster
12-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I'll second that. Although I was very young then, my dad would come get me and my three older brothers and take us to Elmwood. And I vaguely remember that on the way back home we would stop at a hamburger place I believe was on the southeast corner of 29th and S. Rob. (I may be wrong about that location). But I remember we had alot of fun.

FRISKY
12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I also spent a lot of time at Elmwood. Played on the trampolines and took swimming lessons there. They played WKY radio over the loudspeakers and you could buy items from the snack bar for 5-cents.

Anyone have pictures from there? Bring them to the next get-together.

TeriOKC
12-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Funny note about Alamo Courts...my mother-in-law and late father-in-law spent their 3-day honeymoon there before he shipped out with the Navy during the Korean War. Back then, people were far more content with much less. Of course, it wasn't a choice on their part - neither had any $$ back then.

When he returned from the war, my father-in-law went to college on the GI bill and on to med school. Did any of you Southsiders ever know Dr. Robert Hunter?

yukongirl
12-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I think your talking about the cannon at US Grant - right?

Generals64
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Yep , on the Cannon at USG. For achive listing, the cannon was given to the school from the USG class of 1965. Danny Parker (deceased...Viet Nam) was the one that located the cvannon, helped raise the money and got it delivered. The class of '66 donated the original Marquis out front of the school.
The are so many tidbits about the Southside of OKC we could go on and on.....Capitol Hill school for instance is on the historic roles for Oklahoma so they built a New Grant Highschool....since they couldn't do any physical demolition on the school. Do you know that USG had an indoor RIFLE Range and they actually did Target Shooting (real ammo) on School grounds.....How would they go over now??? Did you know the first American killed in Cambodia was a southsider?????

Bobby821
12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Is the Cannon that used to be out front on Grant HS still at the new school somewhere or did they get rid of it?

Generals64
12-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Is the Cannon that used to be out front on Grant HS still at the new school somewhere or did they get rid of it?

They wouldn't dare get rid of the cannon. It (the cannon) is inside the building now from what I've heard. However, they did forget to dig up the time capsules left out front of the old school....Yep:............

Bobby821
12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
They wouldn't dare get rid of the cannon. It (the cannon) is inside the building now from what I've heard. However, they did forget to dig up the time capsules left out front of the old school....Yep:............

So is the time capsule buried under the parking lot now? LOL

Generals64
12-31-2008, 09:37 PM
So is the time capsule buried under the parking lot now? LOL

---------------------------------------------------Yep, as a matter of fact I believe there are a couple of year's in there. I asked the former Principal about it before they tore the building down and he said he didn't know and didn't have time right then......I'm sure he was too busy with the new school etc.

grantgeneral78
01-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I wonder what was in the time capsule?

SoonerGirl26
01-01-2009, 11:14 PM

Hi yukongirl.....if your dad owned Elmwood in the 60's, then I dated your brother in the early 90's right before he died. If you think you remember me, send me a private message on here. We're glad to have some new people like you on this thread to help us remember things!! Welcome!!

SoonerGirl26
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes, I remember the Western Dip on Western. Those were the days!

Does anyone remember Cagles Drive In on South Shields?

Yes, I remember Cagle's Drive-In.....do you remember the old Spartans (sure was a tiny place for a hang out!) and how about Cloud 9 across the street from Spartans on the corner of SE 52 & Shields?

grantgeneral78
01-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Yes, Mr. Speegle was a legend, beloved to all - not only Redskins, but Generals and Spartans alike. My mother in law and late father in law both graduated from CHHS in 1950 and she still gets together on a regular basis with many of the older Redskins. He was my sweet little Daddy's age, God rest his precious soul.

We have our two daughters, their husbands and our two little grandchildren here this holiday - little Chloe's first Christmas!

Did anyone get hail last night? I think we got some about 4:30am here on the northside.

Do any of you remember the Brothertons? My sister dated one of them for a while. For some reason, I was thinking about them this morning. I believe one of them has already passed away, but I may be wrong?

Teri

Which Brotherton was it I know them teri?