View Full Version : Classen Curve

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

lasomeday
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Metro, you don't know AM. If he has his name on it, he has a hand in it.

metro
08-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Here's a picture of Republic:

http://img441.yfrog.com/img441/9233/zok.jpg

Republic (RePUBlicOKC) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/republicokc)

Pete
08-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I've heard the people from Cafe 501 in Edmond may be opening a restaurant in Classen Curve as well:

Welcome to Cafe 501 (http://www.my501cafe.com/index.php)

metro
08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm more anxious to hear about retail tenants such as clothing and other shops rumored to come there.

BDP
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Don't hold your breath. Retail kind of sucks right now. You never know, but I certainly wouldn't expect any major national brands. IMO, that's actually a good thing, but I'm not sure if there are many local retailers looking to open new doors this year, either. Maybe if they get a niche thing going, it could be an opportunity for some that are holding their heads above water. It will be interesting to see if the curve stays within a concept or goes into "take what we can get" mode.

Pete
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I also think they were hoping to lure local tenants from elsewhere and that doesn't seem to be happening.

As I've said before, I don't think the layout and location is well suited for most retail uses. It will be very interesting to see what they get other than restaurants.

It will help them greatly when the project is more complete, as the design and quality will certainly be a draw.

OKCTalker
08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Pete - Location is so important to retail (even being on the wrong corner of the right intersection will kill you) that I wouldn't move to another location unless I was absolutely convinced that it was better than where I was. Classen Curve has yet to do that. People may not be happy with NH Plaza, 50 Penn Place or their freestanding location, but unless CC proves to be a winner (and worthy of their assuredly-sky-high rents), why take a chance?

soonerguru
08-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I suspect Classen Curve rents will be high enough to ensure no cool local stores will locate there.

Spartan
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I suspect Classen Curve rents will be high enough to ensure no cool local stores will locate there.

The first two, and only so far, tenants are both cool and local.

betts
08-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Isn't Balliet's relocating there? That's what I've heard.

onthestrip
08-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Isn't Balliet's relocating there? That's what I've heard.

I read in the paper that Balliets had a lease through 2012 at 50 Penn.

metro
08-07-2009, 08:00 AM
The first two, and only so far, tenants are both cool and local.

3...and they're all restaurants....sure hope they land some actual places to shop at soon.

wsucougz
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Any further speculation on the classen curve sports bar and grille?

www.theclassencurve.com (http://theclassencurve.com/)

metro
08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure they recruited "Republic" to fill that niche.

wsucougz
08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure they recruited "Republic" to fill that niche.

Is republic a sports bar? I forgot.

tuck
08-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Republic will be a Gastropub with incredible AV set-up for sports.

onthestrip
08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Republic will be a Gastropub with incredible AV set-up for sports.

Incredible audio/visuals huh? I like the sounds of that. I'd like to go ahead and make a reservation for onthestrip, party of 8.

tuck
08-10-2009, 06:28 AM
Incredible audio/visuals huh? I like the sounds of that. I'd like to go ahead and make a reservation for onthestrip, party of 8.

Got it...hopefully in time for The Superbowl.

jbkrems
08-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Tuck,

Have you checked out Oscar's Gastropub in Tulsa? Do you plan on offering a similar menu concept with Republic?

tuck
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I have been to Oscar's and had a great time. No, we are moving in a different direction with decor and menu.

jbkrems
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Tuck,

Can you comment on the kind of direction with decor and menu you will be offering ???

icecold
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM

party of 8 huh?.....ha, i guess you plan on finding a few more friends by the superbowl....nice.

Spartan
08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
3...and they're all restaurants....sure hope they land some actual places to shop at soon.

3? So other than Republic and 105, who's the third one?

tuck
08-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Tuck,

Can you comment on the kind of direction with decor and menu you will be offering ???

In time...still working through details.

betts
08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
A running store will be opening up in Classen Curve, I was told. I was also told that the leasing agent said Balliet's is indeed moving to Classen Curve, but it's 3rd hand news, so take it for what it's worth.

warreng88
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I was also told that the leasing agent said Balliet's is indeed moving to Classen Curve, but it's 3rd hand news, so take it for what it's worth.

I just talked to a friend of mine that works at Balliet's and she said that is true.

Pete
10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Other than the two restaurants (105 & Republic) is anything else going in any time soon?

I haven't seen any announcements and their website has not been updated in some time.

Has construction of the shell, parking and other outside elements been completed?

jbrown84
10-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Has construction of the shell, parking and other outside elements been completed?

Most of it, except for the southeasternmost building at Grand and Western.

bjohn9
10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
That's right and I'm still digging into the possible tenants in the works. In the meantime, here are a few snaps from last week (Oct. 20):

http://www.okcreview.com/userfiles/image/Classen%201.jpg

http://www.okcreview.com/userfiles/image/Classen%202.jpg

http://www.okcreview.com/userfiles/image/Classen%203.jpg

It's definitely getting there.

Ben
www.okcreview.com (http://www.okcreview.com)

Pete
10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Ben!

Looks nice... The canopies on the store fronts look a lot like the airport.

circuitboard
10-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I think this would be a great fit for urban outfitters, very industrial modern.

metro
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I think this would be a great fit for urban outfitters, very industrial modern.

I think buildings in AutoAlley would be MUCH better suited for UO. I was at the two on the Vegas strip this past week and it was the first time I wasn't impressed with UO. Merchandise selection is way down compared to the past.

Jesseda
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
so how many building are going in the classen curve? how many sq feet of retail/entertainment?

Pete
10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Jess, you can see the layout with the square footages per building at:

Classen Curve (http://www.shopclassencurve.com)

proud2Bsooner
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Jess, you can see the layout with the square footages per building at:

Classen Curve (http://www.shopclassencurve.com)

But turn your speakers down...damn music on websites...I thought we moved past that. BTW, what's with architects drawing things in Google Sketch-Up? Talking about dumbing down your industry so that a 12-year-old could do it. I know, I know, Pete...post it on the architecture/web design board. I'm trying to stay focussed.

Here's my critique of the Classen Curve: It just doesn't look like much besides a bunch of neatly arranged strip malls on a curved street. I see cheap buildings. I am a little concerned that Rand Elliott and the like are more or less junking up OKC with their interpretation of "modernism"...which seems to be cheap, pre-fab, steel buildings with a "modern twist".

bbhill
10-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Buildings look nice and its great to see a new development but does anyone else think this is the type of architecture that is just gonna look bad after a few years?

adaniel
10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Architectual trends come and go. Could it look any worse than the orgy of faux French Country look that has infested most of Edmond and North OKC in the past decade?

Personally, some of the "modern" style buildings that were constructed during the 1970s oil boom days look okay so long as well maintained.

soonerguru
10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's nice for a strip mall, but it's still a strip mall.

bluedogok
10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
But turn your speakers down...damn music on websites...I thought we moved past that. BTW, what's with architects drawing things in Google Sketch-Up? Talking about dumbing down your industry so that a 12-year-old could do it. I know, I know, Pete...post it on the architecture/web design board. I'm trying to stay focussed.
There is a "professional version" of SketchUp that existed before the Google version. I have never used either SketchUp product though and don't really like the way they looked. I just built my models in Autocad/Accurender or export them to Max, now I build them in Revit.

Architectual trends come and go. Could it look any worse than the orgy of faux French Country look that has infested most of Edmond and North OKC in the past decade?
It is just like the fake "Tuscan style" stuff that permeates everything down here in Central Texas. I was so tired of doing the same style over and over.

progressiveboy
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
I find the architecture of CC to be cutting edge for OKC. It's unique and progressive looking without being boring and bland. This development would be very popular in Dallas. For so long, I always thought OKC's architecture was quite bland, non inspiring. Now with the Devon HQ building and the proposed Midfirst building maybe OKC is opening up to new innovative ideas that are not so predictible.

ronronnie1
10-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty underwhelmed. It's nice for a strip mall, but it's still a strip mall.

I agree. However, I prefer this to all that wannabe classic European crap. At least this is somewhat interesting... if you squint.

The canopy thing and the use of glass is cool though.

PLANSIT
10-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, this is pretty much garbage. I don't mind the architecture, but the site layout is ridiculous. I can't believe that not only did they build a strip mall, but they use street frontage to highlight the buildings' rear. Lame.

circuitboard
12-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, this is pretty much garbage. I don't mind the architecture, but the site layout is ridiculous. I can't believe that not only did they build a strip mall, but they use street frontage to highlight the buildings' rear. Lame.

I am pretty sure they did that for a reason, as it is facing a graveyard. Overall I think they did a good job with what they were working with.

betts
12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
They just need to embrace being across from the graveyard. One of my favorite restaurants in Atlanta is Six Feet Under, which makes light of facing a graveyard.

jbrown84
12-11-2009, 11:18 PM
And Pearl's should go ahead and embrace the name "Pearl's Graveside".

Pete
12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but I went by when I was in town a few weeks ago and was impressed with the development. Looks lots better in person and a good part of it does open up to Grand/Western.

flintysooner
12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but I went by when I was in town a few weeks ago and was impressed with the development. Looks lots better in person and a good part of it does open up to Grand/Western.I think it will be pretty successful eventually. It seems patterned in many respects like Utica Square. There is a very good deal of attention being paid to visitor experience as well as attracting unique and interesting retailers. It also appears to me that there is a real effort to keep space for local stores which I think has been important in the Utica Square case.

Then there is the fact that both have owners who obviously care a good deal about the quality of the center and have sufficient resources to take a long term approach.

Pete
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
If the rumored Whole Foods goes in right across the street, that will greatly help with the retail leasing, which is going to be slow regardless.

Doug Loudenback
12-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but I went by when I was in town a few weeks ago and was impressed with the development. Looks lots better in person and a good part of it does open up to Grand/Western.
I agree. I'd not been up that way until a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised and impressed by what I saw ... more extensive than I had thought. It could easily become a premier commercial location, I think.

max
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I have nothing more to add to this other than that it is a great sign of things to come (and a very big first sign at that. The Belle Isle area is ready for more interesting retail options, and it could support a very large amount, imo. I think that further development of the Classen Curve area, continued use of the Classen Circle area, and possibly some very precise development of Classen south of Expressway (with lots of planning and oversight) are the next logical steps. More than anything, I'd like to see Classen being used a lot more than it is, since it has so much potential. As the inner north's original "grand" boulevard, I'd love to see it utilized more, in creative ways, carefully balancing that with the neighborhoods nearby.

Eventually a Classen streetcar might just come along and solve this for us. Interesting, seeing as how the Classen streetcar was what once created the neighborhoods along Classen.

Sorry for the tangents, but I felt this fit better here than any other threads.

jbrown84
12-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see Belle Isle Station replaced with a true lifestyle center like The Domain in Austin or Legacy in Plano. I think it's the best possible location and it's really shame we allowed such a lackluster development there. A pedestrian-friendly lifestyle center could tie in very well to Penn Square and compliment it immensely.

soonerguru
12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I have to admit I'm dreaming of a Classen Blvd. street car. Aesthetically, it's always been one of the -- if the not the -- fave streets in OKC. A Belle Isle Station would be awesome someday.

bluedogok
12-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd like to see Belle Isle Station replaced with a true lifestyle center like The Domain in Austin or Legacy in Plano. I think it's the best possible location and it's really shame we allowed such a lackluster development there. A pedestrian-friendly lifestyle center could tie in very well to Penn Square and compliment it immensely.
It was just a few years ahead that trend, if that development was happening now I bet that is what it would be.

jbrown84
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I say tear it down and start over!

Urbanized
12-16-2009, 09:34 AM
The real mistake was allowing the power plant to be torn down in the first place. It could have been turned into a great basis for a mixed-use. The stuff we've torn down for the sake of crappy "development" in this city is sickening.

http://www.merryweatherphoto.com/web/portfolio/images/pix_belleisle3.jpg http://www.merryweatherphoto.com/web/portfolio/images/pix_belleisle1.jpg

http://www.merryweatherphoto.com/web/portfolio/images/pix_belleisle4.jpg http://www.merryweatherphoto.com/web/portfolio/images/pix_belleisle5.jpg

FYI, that is a series that was shot by local architectural and commercial photographer JD Merryweather shortly before the demolition. His website is www.merryweatherphoto.com (http://www.merryweatherphoto.com). You might also know him as one of the guys behind COOP Aleworks.

betts
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Belle Isle station could disappear off the face of the earth and I wouldn't shed a tear. I agree that the loss of the power plant was really distressing. I don't know how easy it would have been to renovate, but it certainly looked filled with potential, and it broke my heart to see what was built there in its place.

JohnDenver
12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Classen Curve is a death trap. It is hard to see what is in the strip mall, so I have to slow down, peer in between the buildings, all while people are FLYING around the curve at 70mph.

Pete
12-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't know if you guys remember, but in the go-go early 80's, the company that developed Leadership Square had ambitious plans for the power plant, lake and surrounding property. It was to be a 96 acre, 2.2 million square foot development that would have included renovating the plant and adding a lot of office and retail space.

What an incredible pity this never happened, as after plans were well underway (they had drained the lake to start work) Penn Square Bank fell and everything went south from there:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/belleislesiteplan.jpg

circuitboard
12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Don't know if you guys remember, but in the go-go early 80's, the company that developed Leadership Square had ambitious plans for the power plant, lake and surrounding property. It was to be a 96 acre, 2.2 million square foot development that would have included renovating the plant and adding a lot of office and retail space.

What an incredible pity this never happened, as after plans were well underway (they had drained the lake to start work) Penn Square Bank fell and everything went south from there:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/belleislesiteplan.jpg

That makes me sad. =(

Pete
12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
IMO, Belle Isle represents one of the greatest commerical real estate tragedies ever in OKC.

I remember how pretty that little lake was, clearly viewed as you traveled on what was then a new section of I-44. And I always loved the power station as it was a fantastic focal point for the whole area.

I'm trying to find the artist's rendering of the development, which was a beautiful birds-eye perspective. Leadership Properties had planned to do things right.

It is incredibly depressing to think what could have been, as Belle Isle was one of the very few truly unique parts of OKC with lots of historical significance and memories. Now, it's yet another soulless strip center with a Wal-Mart and the best parts (like the station and lake) are long gone.