View Full Version : Classen Curve

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]

soonerguru
10-25-2023, 04:46 PM
The actual worst, I can't stand his design. Worked at 501 Classen Curve for about 5 years prior to Pete Holloway's death and it was so cold in there. Just muted dark colors all around.

That place was bizarre. All of the ceiling projectiles cast an ominous pall over the dining experience.

CitySooner
10-26-2023, 10:29 AM
I have heard that Hudson House (new to market) has long been wanting to move into the old 501 space. That was long enough ago though that I wonder how accurate that info was.

BoulderSooner
10-26-2023, 12:11 PM
I have heard that Hudson House (new to market) has long been wanting to move into the old 501 space. That was long enough ago though that I wonder how accurate that info was.

that would be a great get for this location

Pete
11-15-2023, 11:30 AM
Tommy John is will be opening soon in Classen Curve.

chssooner
11-15-2023, 09:57 PM
https://www.tommyjohn.com/pages/store-locator

Just to give you an idea of the other locations. Not bad company (I know, Birmingham, but that mall has a Saks, somehow).

Mississippi Blues
11-15-2023, 11:12 PM

Just to give you an idea of the other locations. Not bad company (I know, Birmingham, but that mall has a Saks, somehow).

Not to get too sidetracked but Birmingham is actually one of the more underrated cities in the U.S. I think, largely from it being in Alabama. Shoot, Alabama itself is one of the more underrated states just from what people outside think about it.

OkieBerto
11-16-2023, 09:57 AM
Not to get too sidetracked but Birmingham is actually one of the more underrated cities in the U.S. I think, largely from it being in Alabama. Shoot, Alabama itself is one of the more underrated states just from what people outside think about it.

I was just about to say the same thing. I have been twice in the last 4 years and it is always one of my favorite places. It has a great Bar Scene and nightlife there is fantastic. There is also a lot of great food options in town.

OkieBerto
11-16-2023, 10:08 AM

On the day we left Birmingham this year we made a stop at The Summit. Which is a large outdoor type mall that is basically Classen Curve, Belle Isle shopping, and The Oak combined. It has RH, Arhaus, Shake Shack, Nordstrom Rack, REI, and Lululemon. The Summit (https://thesummitbirmingham.com/stores/#10)

Bowser214
11-16-2023, 06:47 PM
The Summit is a really nice development. But the Oak has residential over retail/restaurant. I feel like it will be more of a pedestrian centric than your average outdoor mall. IMO.

Mississippi Blues
11-16-2023, 10:06 PM
The Summit is a really nice development. But the Oak has residential over retail/restaurant. I feel like it will be more of a pedestrian centric than your average outdoor mall. IMO.

Definitely. Even if the developers set out with no consideration for pedestrians, the size of the lot essentially requires it for the money to work with a development like this. I’d take Oak over just about any similar development spread across many dozens of acres.

For reference, Oak is 20 acres and The Summit is 170 acres.

therhett17
11-17-2023, 10:12 AM
Classen Curve neighbors say owners are betraying promises with expansion plans

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2023/11/15/meadowbrook-acres-okc-neighbor-classen-curve-parking-lot-expansion/71566737007/

I know The Oklahoman links are a little frowned upon here, but I couldn't find this report on any other news outlet.

Pete
11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
^

Some neighbors are upset but what Washington Prime is planning to do in removing the fountains for more retail space is completely within their rights under the PUD that was approved years ago.

They do not have to seek any approval other than a building permit, which is a procedural and building code issue, and nothing else.

So, they can complain all they want but it won't change anything.

OKCRealtor
11-17-2023, 10:41 AM
You would think they would get all the vacant space leased out before investing more. Otherwise sure makes sense. Classen Curve has always been a weird spot that's never really lived up to the potential IMO as cool as it is. So much vacant space still after all these years. I realize it's come a long way but it has also been a very slow development considering it's 15 years old now.

Pete
11-17-2023, 10:50 AM
You would think they would get all the vacant space leased out before investing more. Otherwise sure makes sense. Classen Curve has always been a weird spot that's never really lived up to the potential IMO as cool as it is. So much vacant space still after all these years. I realize it's come a long way but it has also been a very slow development considering it's 15 years old now.

They are very close to full capacity and any vacancy is quickly replaced by another great national tenant.

When Washington Prime took over, CC was mainly local tenants, most of which were highly subsidized by Aubrey McClendon with Chesapeake funds. WP had to replace almost all of them when they either defaulted (many had been behind under CHK ownership) or could not/would not pay market rates when their leases expired. I won't name all the new tenants Washington Prime has signed, but it's a long list. They've also done a fantastic job with Nichols Hills Plaza.

The only real vacancy is the old Cafe 501 space but I believe they have someone to take that space, which should be public soon.

BoulderSooner
11-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Classen Curve neighbors say owners are betraying promises with expansion plans

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2023/11/15/meadowbrook-acres-okc-neighbor-classen-curve-parking-lot-expansion/71566737007/

I know The Oklahoman links are a little frowned upon here, but I couldn't find this report on any other news outlet.

the president of the HOA is disingenuous at best and more likely just lying ..

The water feature defines this neighborhood.

this is the view of the "water feature from the neighborhood"
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5310895,-97.5336329,3a,75y,275.63h,86.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se5jSlLWISYgc1NOl_EUWSw!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192?entry=ttu

also they didn't create a gate at the water feature this is where the gate is

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5312829,-97.5336117,3a,61.5y,268.68h,78.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s72tB0k8aUroWny9k6w6OIQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656?entry=ttu

also 4,800 of the 11k they say is vacant is the 501 space .. that leaves very very little space ..

Rover
11-17-2023, 12:32 PM
^

Some neighbors are upset but what Washington Prime is planning to do in removing the fountains for more retail space is completely within their rights under the PUD that was approved years ago.

They do not have to seek any approval other than a building permit, which is a procedural and building code issue, and nothing else.

And I am not sure why they are complaining anyway. One, it doesn't affect their view of or interaction with the mall. It has only raised the value of their property immensely, and will continue to do so as the vibrancy and value of the Curve keeps climbing. I think the "spokesperson" might have just wanted a few minutes of fame.

shai2022
11-17-2023, 12:37 PM
They are very close to full capacity and any vacancy is quickly replaced by another great national tenant.

When Washington Prime took over, CC was mainly local tenants, most of which were highly subsidized by Aubrey McClendon with Chesapeake funds. WP had to replace almost all of them when they either defaulted (many had been behind under CHK ownership) or could not/would not pay market rates when their leases expired. I won't name all the new tenants Washington Prime has signed, but it's a long list. They've also done a fantastic job with Nichols Hills Plaza.

The only real vacancy is the old Cafe 501 space but I believe they have someone to take that space, which should be public soon.

They filed for bankruptcy like two years ago and have a terrible reputation.

Pete
11-17-2023, 01:07 PM

These are the only properties they own in Oklahoma and have done a fantastic job.

sooner88
11-17-2023, 01:37 PM

A REIT that owns primarily shopping centers filing bankruptcy after all of their properties were effected by the pandemic isn't out of the question.

onthestrip
11-17-2023, 02:02 PM

So much vacant space? The article states its less than 9% vacant. In the shopping center world, that is practically nothing. Should we stop letting builders build homes until every one that is for sale is sold? Thats how much sense your argument makes. There is a ton of demand for quality retail space and they'll fill up the current vacant space quickly and they most likely already have tenants lined up for the new space.

And I am not sure why they are complaining anyway. One, it doesn't affect their view of or interaction with the mall. It has only raised the value of their property immensely, and will continue to do so as the vibrancy and value of the Curve keeps climbing. I think the "spokesperson" might have just wanted a few minutes of fame.

One of lifes most difficult NIMBY questions. I think some people just really like telling others how to spend their own money on their own property.

Rover
11-17-2023, 02:44 PM

Terrible reputation according to who and for what? That's a really, really broad statement and doesn't mean anything without context.

chssooner
11-17-2023, 03:25 PM

Damn, I feel like something took place 3 years ago or so that impact the global retail and real estate market...

W8N2SKI
11-22-2023, 01:12 PM
Just saw that Sephora filed a building permit for Classen Curve, I am betting it is taking the Soft Surroundings location once it closes. That is yet another store leaving Penn Square going to either CC or Oak

Shortsyeararound
11-22-2023, 01:48 PM
Just saw that Sephora filed a building permit for Classen Curve, I am betting it is taking the Soft Surroundings location once it closes. That is yet another store leaving Penn Square going to either CC or Oak

Do you know for sure that they are leaving Penn Sq? They have locations in Kohl's nowadays and Bath and Body has locations inside and outside of both Penn Square and Quail Springs.

W8N2SKI
11-22-2023, 02:30 PM
Do you know for sure that they are leaving Penn Sq? They have locations in Kohl's nowadays and Bath and Body has locations inside and outside of both Penn Square and Quail Springs.

I don’t know that, I was just assuming given how close the two locations would be and how large that space is. I can’t imagine having two large independent stores that close together would be profitable.

Mr. Blue Sky
11-24-2023, 03:54 PM

From what I’ve seen, they’ve done a bang-up job with Classen Curve.

Pete
02-21-2024, 08:13 AM
Not sure why, but Lululemon is moving (plans say temporarily) to the old Cafe 501 space.

They already have a store in Classen Curve very nearby, so not sure what is behind this.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/classencurve022124a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/classencurve022124b.jpg

MagzOK
02-21-2024, 08:34 AM
Perhaps they're looking for more space. My daughter loves that place and when we go to other stores in other cities I'm always surprised at how much larger they are in comparison to ours here in OKC. Our is always packed and uncomfortable and always a long wait to get into the fitting rooms.

warreng88
02-21-2024, 08:46 AM
What are the chances it is a temp space to move to OAK eventually?

Pete
02-21-2024, 09:00 AM
What are the chances it is a temp space to move to OAK eventually?

I haven't heard anything about that, but it would make sense.

Perhaps their lease was up at their current space in CC, they didn't want to renew, so they are moving to this long-vacant space as a temporary store before the OAK space is ready later this year.

ditm4567
02-21-2024, 10:18 AM

Pete--is this what you were referring to?

Pete
02-21-2024, 10:19 AM
Pete--is this what you were referring to?

No, I had heard they had a restaurant lined up for the Cafe 501 space.

Maybe that is still happening and has just been delayed.

emhood10@gmail.com
03-18-2024, 06:39 PM
Workers are in and out of the old Cafe 501 space over the past week. Any updates?

emhood10@gmail.com
03-18-2024, 07:22 PM
Workers are in and out of the old Cafe 501 space over the past week. Any updates?

The building permits show to be a new lululemon!

W8N2SKI
03-19-2024, 07:37 AM
The building permits show to be a new lululemon!

From my understanding, Lululemon is just expanding its current store over to the green/outdoor seating space next to it. Last I heard, they weren't moving, just expanding.

Pete
03-19-2024, 07:45 AM
From my understanding, Lululemon is just expanding its current store over to the green/outdoor seating space next to it. Last I heard, they weren't moving, just expanding.

There have been building permits that show the move to the former Cafe 501 space, but it's labeled as "temporary space".

There are rumors they will move to OAK once that development is ready.

onthestrip
03-19-2024, 10:45 AM
Theyre staying put, they crush it at Classen Curve. Moving to temporary space while they expand their current space.

Soonerinfiniti
04-22-2024, 06:08 AM
Lululemon is expanding their current space to include the former open common area to the west. Plans are to relocate to Cafe 501 space in May until October. Looks like the store space will about double.

Pete
04-28-2024, 04:37 PM
There is a construction fence around the western fountain, with "Here we grow again" signage.

Looks like the fountains will soon be no more.

WhoRepsTheLurker
05-01-2024, 09:00 AM
There is a construction fence around the western fountain, with "Here we grow again" signage.

Looks like the fountains will soon be no more.

That construction fencing has been up since January and the fountains shut off since then as well. For as little movement on that project, they sure took out a number of parking spots for future growth. But I would say nothing is imminent yet.

warreng88
05-28-2024, 09:10 AM
My wife was at a Barre3 class and overheard that the neighborhood to the east is suing the development for taking out the fountains. Not sure if there is anything valid there, but it would be interesting if that comes to pass and works. Again, take it for what it's worth...

sooner88
05-28-2024, 10:06 AM
My wife was at a Barre3 class and overheard that the neighborhood to the east is suing the development for taking out the fountains. Not sure if there is anything valid there, but it would be interesting if that comes to pass and works. Again, take it for what it's worth...

BoulderSooner
05-28-2024, 10:17 AM

lol, some attorney is making out well on this .... the neighborhood .. will just be out money ..

warreng88
05-28-2024, 10:20 AM

Oh, if that's what they were talking about, then it's old news, obviously. I thought this was new info.

warreng88
05-28-2024, 10:21 AM
lol, some attorney is making out well on this .... the neighborhood .. will just be out money ..

My thoughts exactly. Unless there is something in the paperwork when they started developing it that the fountains will remain in place for a certain period of time, blah, blah, blah, then there is really nothing they can do about it.

Pete
05-28-2024, 10:25 AM
As of yet, no legal action has been filed.

BoulderSooner
05-28-2024, 12:47 PM
As of yet, no legal action has been filed.

thanks pete .. i couldn't read the oklahoman link

Cam
05-29-2024, 10:20 PM
Signage has been put up for Lulu at the old 501 building and people are inside working on it.

Cam
05-29-2024, 10:23 PM
^

This isn’t quite accurate but the details seem fairly irrelevant now.

Soonerinfiniti
06-09-2024, 01:42 PM
It looks like the new Lululemon space is ready to go, but it was closed with a sign saying “due to circumstances beyond our control”….

Stealth_RN
06-10-2024, 09:20 AM
Per an employee who works there, "We've been informed by the fire marshal that we have to be closed at least tomorrow (Monday). Hopefully we will open Tuesday"

Pete
07-01-2024, 07:15 AM
The new Lululemon expansion; they are taking over what was a small plaza to the west.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/lulu063024a.jpg