View Full Version : OIPA Headquarters

Pages : 1 [2]

Bellaboo
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks like some place you would go for Botox or a tummy tuck. MAJOR FAIL.

Guess they could have put up a big oil derrick on the top of it..... that'd change the looks a bit.

soonerguru
04-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Guess they could have put up a big oil derrick on the top of it..... that'd change the looks a bit.

Lol

Just the facts
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM

I don't think they are that creative.

jonno
04-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Don't do that, then people might confuse it with the new NW library.

Pete
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Will took this about a month ago:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6823967486_7f938e7004_c.jpg

Larry OKC
04-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Looks like it is inline with the rendering posted most recently???

Pete
06-08-2012, 08:23 AM
http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w640-427341de91f6b46c8071829fde0305fd.jpg

Work progressing; not much new information:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-independent-petroleum-association-headquarters-is-taking-shape/article/3682341

CuatrodeMayo
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
The rendering is hideous, but I suspect the final product will be easier on the eyes.

I was wrong. So very wrong.

Just the facts
06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo

The rendering is hideous, but I suspect the final product will be easier on the eyes.

That is the 'worst' new building I have ever seen. My only guess is they tried to make it look like a geolgical cross-section.

catch22
06-08-2012, 12:00 PM

That is pretty ugly....

Larry OKC
06-08-2012, 12:21 PM
From this…

Here's another rendering:
http://oipa.com/page_images/1264094404-i.jpg
to this

http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1382533/medium.jpg
Realize it isn't the same angle but....to this...

http://cdn2.newsok.biz/cache/w640-427341de91f6b46c8071829fde0305fd.jpg

Spartan
06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
So, any takers for lofts next to this? :rolleyes:

Watson410
06-08-2012, 10:03 PM
This building design is laughable!! Hopefully nothing like this gets approved again, especially right off the highway!!

Spartan
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Alright I'll be the first to say - I don't think it's thaaaat bad. I'm not sure how essential the intersection of NE4/Lincoln is to the overall downtown development scene. Not only is it out of the way, it's on the edge of a bad area, and lower Lincoln is a suburban mess - PHF parking lots and more parking lots galore. Actually, re-write, ALL of Lincoln is a mess.

Is it a missed opportunity to stem that tide? Sure. But I just don't think this is the kind of stuff that we should be vocally complaining about particularly while demolitions are happening left and right, and the really vital opportunities are being destroyed by developments like House of Bedlam. I'd say move along, nothing to see here.. who cares about this site?

I will say though this development probably doesn't make my Top Ten Cool Developments of 2012 list..not even a blip on that radar.

ljbab728
06-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I agree, Spartan. We have much bigger fish to fry.

Just the facts
06-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Meanwhile, a few blocks away at Kids Korral...

Friendly note to Spartan - try being consistent. You can't be pushing urban design philosophy and then give this building a pass saying there are bigger fish fry. The battle between urban and suburban design IS the big fish.

lasomeday
06-10-2012, 09:21 AM
So, who is the architect that designed this building? Between the suburban design and ugly building, the architect needs to be held accountable for such an ugly building.

Snowman
06-10-2012, 09:35 AM
So, who is the architect that designed this building? Between the suburban design and ugly building, the architect needs to be held accountable for such an ugly building.

While we can blame the ugliness on the designer, though a couple material swaps and it would not be quite as bad as it is, I would bet the suburban design was a requirement of the owner.

Spartan
06-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Meanwhile, a few blocks away at Kids Korral...

Friendly note to Spartan - try being consistent. You can't be pushing urban design philosophy and then give this building a pass saying there are bigger fish fry. The battle between urban and suburban design IS the big fish.

Well when you're joining me speaking in front of the horseshoe, and meeting with important figures, and maintaining a blog that carries the torch for urban issues, maybe then you'll understand how easy it is to get beat down when you apply yourself on every issue. That's why the urban community in OKC really picks its battles, because it's one thing to write angry posts on OKC Talk, it's a completely different thing in practice. I have so much admiration for the people amongst us here who serve on boards, have businesses downtown, have pooled some resources to engage in their own development activity, and so on.

Right now I think a lot of people are gravitating toward taking up arms over the boulevard, for example. And talk about an issue that people have dragged their heels on..

Just the facts
06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Well when you're joining me speaking in front of the horseshoe, and meeting with important figures, and maintaining a blog that carries the torch for urban issues, maybe then you'll understand how easy it is to get beat down when you apply yourself on every issue. That's why the urban community in OKC really picks its battles, because it's one thing to write angry posts on OKC Talk, it's a completely different thing in practice. I have so much admiration for the people amongst us here who serve on boards, have businesses downtown, have pooled some resources to engage in their own development activity, and so on.

Right now I think a lot of people are gravitating toward taking up arms over the boulevard, for example. And talk about an issue that people have dragged their heels on..

No doubt it is a constant battle and I can appreciate the 'banging your head on the wall' feeling, which is why consistancy in the message is important. If building X is being planned for the Chamber site and it is set back 30' from the sidewalk everyone on OKCTalk knows my opinion on that before I even post it. If you have the ear of people who can actually make a difference and your message is not consistent then you lose a lot of your influence. I'm not saying you have to fight every battle to the max, I just saying don't surrender any project without a fight.

This project is poorly designed both from an architectural and site planning perspective, it doesn't get a pass just because another part of the urban core is being screwed up at the same time. Bad is bad.

dankrutka
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
No doubt it is a constant battle and I can appreciate the 'banging your head on the wall' feeling, which is why consistancy in the message is important. If building X is being planned for the Chamber site and it is set back 30' from the sidewalk everyone on OKCTalk knows my opinion on that before I even post it. If you have the ear of people who can actually make a difference and your message is not consistent then you lose a lot of your influence. I'm not saying you have to fight every battle to the max, I just saying don't surrender any project without a fight.

This project is poorly designed both from an architectural and site planning perspective, it doesn't get a pass just because another part of the urban core is being screwed up at the same time. Bad is bad.

Do you ever speak at city meetings? Just curious because this board only goes so far.

Spartan
06-10-2012, 11:57 PM

I agree, I for one appreciate your contributions to this board Kerry - even when we rarely butt heads. I'll admit I do feel absolutely beat-down and worn-out over this stuff. I'll give you Kid's Korral, even though that's an even bigger losing battle because you'll be perceived as going against sick kids, that stinks for those sick kids that Toby didn't think they're good enough for a quality development. ugh

Why don't we all just hope OIPA looks better when they get the pretty landscaping in, with the people sitting on the park benches and all, just like in the rendering.