View Full Version : Rising food costs

Chefdavies
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Just a warning, but you will see the price of your whopper go up in 2-3 months I predict. Already I've seen my food companines raise my fuel surge charge twice. While I have been able to keep my costs down, I will have to raise my prices to cover these rising costs. Please lets not get into why, just want ppl to realize FOOD PRICES will go up, and dont get mad. Here is a smart idea. Use this as a family building technique. Stay at home (while food at home costs more in the short run), you can cook with your family. Each person makes a dish, it could be very fun and strengthen values and morals. Just a thought...

BailJumper
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Just a warning, but you will see the price of your whopper go up in 2-3 months I predict.

Maybe - but I doubt it (at least not by more than a couple of percent). Too many fast food restaurants spent too much $$$ and time attracting a "dollar" menu crowd and price hikes will likely cause that base to balk.

Restaurnts overall are still raising prices at a much lower rate that grocery stores and I don't see a change. Smaller restaurants and specialized ones (steak in particular) will most likely need to raise prices, but I see the big fast food chains holding tight and squeezing their suppliers more.... IMO

Patrick
04-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Grocery stores are rising prices. Their transportation costs keep going up.

FFLady
04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Eggs are almost $2 a dozen!!! :ohno:

CCOKC
04-23-2008, 07:49 PM
This is nothing compared to what 3rd world countries are facing right now. According to the UN one hundred million people are in danger of starving to death because of rising food costs. If our prices go up we bitch about it and spend less on other things. The poor don't have other things to cut out of their budgets.
Here are some stories from npr about the situation.
U.N. Declares Rising Food Costs a 'Silent Tsunami' : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89871092)

EvokeCoffee
04-25-2008, 08:01 AM
What the fast food places will do is just make the "burgers" smaller and keep the prices the same. It is the classic "chocolate bar" situation. The price never changes (much). The size changes quite a bit.

Also, has anyone seen how milk is going to be effected?

metro
04-25-2008, 08:40 AM
CCOKC, point taken. Us American's don't even know how good we've got it. More than 2 billion people in the world don't even know where/how their next meal is coming from or if they'll even have one, let alone they don't wonder how they'll get a job, buy a car (or bicycle even). Survival is the number one issue.

I agree, we need to complain less and do more for others (myself included). If I remember the stats right from Jan. 2008, I believe it was if you earn $35,000 a year or more, you're in the top 2 or 4% of wage earners in the world, if you earn $47,000 or more, you're in the 1% of wealthiest people in THE WORLD. That sure puts things in perspective. We are blessed so that we can bless back! I do what I can, but I know I can always do more.

flintysooner
04-25-2008, 08:51 AM
I see that Sam's is limiting bulk rice to 80 lbs at a time. Costco is limiting too but not sure the quantity.

EvokeCoffee
04-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Speaking of CostCo - I wish there was one of those around OKC!

flintysooner
04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Not much chance.

BailJumper
04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree, we need to complain less and do more for others (myself included).

Personally, I don't agree. Not that 'giving' isn't good, but we have every right to complain about gas prices and the trickle-down effect it has.

Sure, there is always some 'kids starving in Africa,' but there are many issues at play that cause the suffering of others and that doesn't mute concerns at home.

I loved Colbert's take on the rice rationing - "Oh my God, I'm limited to only 80 pounds of rice per visit, what's and American to do?" (losely translated).

Personally, I've never bought rice.

kevinpate
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM
You're missing out BailJumper. Rice is well, nice. However, I don't think an 80 lb limit will slow down even a mega rice lover like me.

BailJumper
04-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I didn't say I don't eat it. I just don't "make" it. Maybe I need one of this "as seen on TV" rice steamers.

I'm waiting to see the "No Rice" signs outside Asian restaurants like the "No Gas" signs in the 70's.

Martin
04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
besides the media loving to induce panic, why is this even being reported? seriously... what person buys 80 pounds of rice for personal use? -M

dismayed
04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Go to this website, punch in your salary and it will tell you how rich you are compared to the rest of the world. Make sure and select US Dollars. Kind of interesting:

Global Rich List (http://www.globalrichlist.com/)

dismayed
04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Just FYI, a few days ago CNBC Closing Bell was talking about the rising food prices and said that Qdoba's bottom line was really feeling it because they rely so heavily on rice in their burritos. Expect a price increase with them soon.

jsibelius
06-03-2008, 12:18 PM
What I'm actually seeing is portion sizes are getting smaller. I frequent a local cheap steakery for lunch and on my last two visits I've noticed my usual order has shrunk in size. Mick Cornett should call them and say "thanks." I've also noticed my small cocoa is even smaller than usual at my usual coffee place. People have been complaining about portion sizes for years - this seems like a good way to "raise prices" (sort of) and appease the public (sort of) at the same time.

kevinpate
06-03-2008, 06:19 PM
other than a local mcD's deciding 'no onions' was supersecret code for
'no onions and oh by the way, be a dear and let's go ahead and just don't put chesse on my double freaking CHEESEburger because after all i don't want the mayor eyeballing me all funny like whilst i try and enjoy a simple semi-balanced lunch'
I've not have any issues with portion control or downsizing meals of late.
I gladly accepted the two 'wow, we really blew that order huh' coupons and used them shortly after. I might even go back on a real purchase someday cause after all, the next nearest mcD's is a whole .12 miles further away and gas is getting higher and higher and all

note to self ... you're tired enough even your typing is rambling. knock it off and go get soem rest

MestaParkMan
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
We are eating out less and shopping more at the Farmers Market in OKC. It is generally cheaper to eat less meat and it is healthier for your body. On the plus side, lots of yummy fruits and veggies are in season now!

Also I am thinking about joining a food co-op that you can get local fruits and veggies every week from local farmers. Any suggestions from someone who uses that type of service? Thanks

FritterGirl
06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I wish I could convince my husband is not necessary every meal. While he's not the typical "meat and potatoes" guy (he WILL eat his veggies), at the same time, he can't at all go meatless.

I would be perfectly happy eating meat just 3 or 4 meals a week.

There is a food coop group on about 125th and May, across from the Homeland in this small office building that kind of looks like a house. I have been curious about it myself, but do not know anyone who goes there. It might be worth checking out.

kevinpate
06-19-2008, 06:42 PM
A meal without meat isn't a meal, it's a prelude to the real deal.
8^)

CCOKC
06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I have not eaten meat in over 5 years. So are you saying I haven't had a meal for that long?

Karried
06-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Angel Food Ministries for those who might need assistance:

Find Your Closest Local Host Site - Angel Food Ministries (http://www.angelfoodministries.com/hosts.asp?zip=73013&search=1&I1.x=17&I1.y=9)