View Full Version : Mount Williams

dismayed
02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
I remember when UNP was being planned developers mentioned that they were going to do something to commemorate Mount Williams, the big pile of dirt that once upon a time made up the gun range of the Navy North Base.

I'm just wondering if there are still plans to do something? A marker, a sculpture... anything? I know that they named the street in front of the Super Target "Mt. Williams" but I'm wondering if anything else is planned?

MrZ
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I would think naming the street after it would be enough.

mheaton76
02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Indeed...It was only a pile of dirt after all...

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

metro
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty sure a year or two back I heard they were going to have some sort of marker eventually.

Spartan
02-13-2008, 04:13 PM
There will be a little park.

venture
02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
A pile of dirt that a lot in Norman took in as a land mark. When I first moved here 10 years ago from Ohio, I always wondered the point of it. However, seeing how it was central to various "spirit" activities by the local high school and others...it was more than just a typical pile of dirt.

If anything, I would say a nice little plaque and park would be plenty to remember what the area use to be.

Jesseda
02-14-2008, 10:30 AM
i remember as a little kid everyime we passed mt william my dad would tell me ..Look that is where they buried King Kong, I thought that was the coolest thing as a kid, so i do miss that dirt hill

MikeLucky
02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
The Norman Transcript - Beloved lump Mount Williams will be coming down soon (http://normantranscript.com/columns/local_story_008001905)

I had also heard that it used to be much bigger and was the size of a destroyer, or some other naval vessel, back in the day and that the pilots used it as practice to drop bombs on it...... then later when I-35 work was being done they took out part of it, and then later used it as a shooting range backstop. Can't find any corroboration on that though.

mheaton76
02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
You guys win, I'll redact my pile of dirt comment from the official record. ;-)

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

Luke
02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
i remember as a little kid everyime we passed mt william my dad would tell me ..Look that is where they buried King Kong, I thought that was the coolest thing as a kid, so i do miss that dirt hill

Weird. That's what my dad told me.

Brother (or sister)?

;)

BurbankSooner
04-05-2008, 07:40 PM
"Who cares" indeed.

I don't know about a destroyer, but yes it was much bigger before I-35 cut into it.
We are both Norman/Noble natives--my brother in TX emailed me in CA to tell me when it was being dozed & hauled off, finally. And in 10 years at the Transcript (back when it was worth something) we heard from passers-by all the time who didn't even live there but knew the landmark, especially as kids.