View Full Version : Freebirds

betts
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I went to Freebirds in Norman yesterday, and was very pleased with the food. There's a restaurant in Athens, GA named Barberitos that I thought had the best build your personal burritos I'd ever tasted, and these were at least comparable. There are four different tortilla choices, and I chose the spinach. I had chicken in mine, which was grilled and diced, rice, lettuce tomatoes, guacumole, chedder and Monteray Jack cheeses and a delicious tomatillo sauce. It was excellent, and I'll definitely make the road trip to go there again. The chips and salsa were good, although not as good as the burrito.

mheaton76
01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Now that there's Moe's, Freebirds, Pepe's and La Luna -- that seems like a lot of Mexican restaurants for campus corner. Any bets on who goes under? My bet is Moe's, since Pepe's and La Luna seem to have their own unique experience at work.

betts
01-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. although you do potentially have 20,000 people eating lunch on campus corner every day, but Moe's just isn't on the same level as Freebirds, IMO, at least after one meal.

Easy180
01-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Sounds good....I'm all about 3 lb burritos

Going to have to head south a little and check out this place

adaniel
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Had this place today for lunch today, and it was just as good as the one I had in San Marcos. My only complaint is that the rice in the burritos is not as good as Chipotle, but the steak cuts they use are smack-your-mama good. To answer another person's question, Pepe's and LaLuna will do just fine, Moes is doomed and will probably be turned into another Starbucks for the people too lazy to cross the street.

If you like burritos, the trip down from OKC is definitely worth it.

dismayed
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I think it will be Moe's... the place is never busy. That location never made sense to me for what I think is their demographic -- if I were them I'd move over to the west side next to Super Target.

John
01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I like the number of late-night options for food on CC nowadays. Moe's, Freeb!rds, Jimmy John's, Fat Sandwich Co., and Pita Pit.

That being said, I'm impressed with Norman's Freeb!rds.

jbrown84
01-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Moe's will die, considering the great things I've heard about Pepe's and Freebirds.

And hopefully Chipotle doesn't go in there too, or it will be a huge oversaturation of burritos.

Chefdavies
01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Is campus corner just sandwiches and tex mex? Its like a battle between the two in concepts. My personal favorite New York Pizza and Pasta. SOOOOOO GOOD. I'll take a pizza over a wich wich, bag of whatever, pita thingy haha

metro
01-25-2008, 10:30 AM
No there is other stuff on Campus Corner, pizza, pasta, Louie's, 747 (very cool), and a few other places that skip my mind. I'm sure a Normanite could chime in with more...

BFizzy
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Brother's, Cafe Plaid, Fat Sandwich, Freebirds, Greek House, Hideaway Pizza, Jimmie John's, Joe's Taverna, Library, La Luna, Logan's, Louie's, Moe's, Mr. Goodcents, NY Pizza, Pepe Delgado's, O'Connell's, Othelo's, Pho Sooner, Pita Pit, Service Station, Seven47, Starbucks, Totos, Turquoise, Uncle Donny's, Victoria's, Which Wich

metro
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Which Wich is also very good I might add. I think I did a review of it as well.

dismayed
01-25-2008, 08:21 PM
La Luna has some fantastic Mexican food too. The Pollo Verde is freaking awesome.

venture
01-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Well did the Freebirds thing today. Food is good as usual, only complaint is that the location is pretty small compared to the one in Austin I went to a bit. Of course then you have the signs of "11 minute wait from this point" which are always nice to see...even though you are still 20 feet from it. LOL

Millie
01-27-2008, 12:07 PM
I thought it was good, but not earth-shattering. Here's a direct quote from the people sitting at the table next to us "Next time, we are so going to Moe's instead."

I don't think Freebirds will be putting anybody out of business anytime soon. There has been competition in Campus Corner for a lot of food types, and most of the restaurants have been able to co-exist. Personally, I would likely choose Moe's over Freebirds, but I will definitely give Freebirds another chance.

dismayed
01-27-2008, 08:14 PM
In Texas people would go for Freebirds before Moe's any day without a doubt. It will be interesting to see if that is what pans out here in Oklahoma as well.

John
01-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd go to Chipotle, Freeb!rds, or Qdoba before Moe's. I like Moe's alright, but it's not my favorite of the burrito joints.

eataroundokc.com
01-30-2008, 06:15 AM
I don't like Moe's. I really don't understand it's popularity. It's like a build your own burrito place where you don't really get to choose everything yourself. You pick something like a "joey's bag of donuts" (they use crazy TV quotes from the 90s to name all their products) and about the only option you get is what kind of meat. The meats and other toppings are very bland compared to other places like Freebirds and Chipotle.

The one thing Moe's has going for it is free chips and salsa with a good selection of tasty salsas. You have to pay extra for chips at Chipotle and Freebirds too, I think.

bradbkj103
02-04-2008, 11:25 AM
you can't taste the low quaility chicken with lots of HOT SAUCE!

Martin
02-04-2008, 12:03 PM
went to freebirds this weekend... i thought it was pretty good. i had to get their super monster. it's two 12" tortillas put together to make one massive burrito. obviously i couldn't eat the whole thing... not even close.

i chose a chicken burrito and the meat was quite flavorful... i do wish they would put just a little more meat in it though. they had a wide range of topping selections... it's like a subway for burritos, just like how i remember atomic burrito was. everything was fresh and had great flavor. i'll definitely be back.

be prepared to wait, though. i was maybe sixth person in line and it took about ten minutes to get out the door. by the time i left, there were about 20-30 people behind me. i couldn't imagine how long they had to wait.

-M

linze
02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
I was wondering if anybody had tried Freebirds. Sounds like a place I"ll have to try. Though I'm alittle weary of make your own burritos. Remember Atomic Burrito? I got sick several times at that place. And look what happened to them. Out of business.

dismayed
02-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Freebirds blows Atomic Burrito away. They've been established a long time in Texas. Give them a try, I bet you'll like.

Pete
01-11-2016, 06:21 AM
Tried Freebirds for the first time over the weekend...

Had the Spicy Chicken Burrito and ti was very good.

Cayenne tortilla, lots of good-quality chicken, several other ingredients and some spicy salsa.

Was one of the better burritos I've had but it wasn't particularly spicy. I'll be back.

shawnw
01-11-2016, 08:20 AM
I liked it okay but my biggest gripe is that I just felt like I got more food for my money with Moe's than with Freebirds...

TheTravellers
01-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Cayenne tortilla, lots of good-quality chicken, several other ingredients and some spicy salsa.

Was one of the better burritos I've had but it wasn't particularly spicy. I'll be back.

Interesting, I tried it for the first time this weekend too. Was less than impressed, though - carnitas, black beans, habanero sauce, pico de gallo, cilantro, veggies, wheat tortilla. Just a burrito, IMO. Wife had tried it once before, and it was OK for her, but this time the burrito-maker couldn't wrap worth a crap - hers fell apart immediately and the ingredients were just "eh, they're OK", so she wasn't impressed this time either.

Urban Pioneer
01-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Every time I go to Southern California to surf, I shake my head about the subpar burritos here.

no1cub17
01-11-2016, 11:29 AM

Did you add any habanero sauce at the end? It is SPICY. And I do mean SPICY. Try a few drops, if you can handle it, ask for some on the side. It will set your mouth (and more) on fire, but it's entirely worth it!

Pete
01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
^

No, I didn't add any but believe it was on the burrito itself.

Thomas Vu
01-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Every time I go to Southern California to surf, I shake my head about the subpar burritos here.

Couldn't you say that about almost any kind of restaurant? With the exception maybe of steak?

Pete
01-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Couldn't you say that about almost any kind of restaurant? With the exception maybe of steak?

I wouldn't say that at all.

I haven't had a hard time finding comparable good dishes and restaurants here; just fewer of them but of course way fewer people as well.

Martin
01-12-2016, 07:53 AM
for a fast food burrito, freebirds is at the top of my list. they remind me of a place in norman that i really liked while in college, atomic burrito. -M

HangryHippo
01-12-2016, 08:25 AM
for a fast food burrito, freebirds is at the top of my list. they remind me of a place in norman that i really liked while in college, atomic burrito. -M

It's at the top of my list too.

corwin1968
01-12-2016, 08:33 AM
I've enjoyed all of the burrito places I've tried (except that one that used be on Memorial by Five Guys) and they are all interchangeable to me but my wife and nieces strongly prefer Freebirds. Luckily, they are only about 3 miles from us but we haven't been in quite awhile. I think we need to rectify that!

SOONER8693
01-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Ditto.

sooner88
01-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I like the dark meat chicken they have there a lot. That with the fresh jalapenos and habanero sauce adds a pretty good kick.

whatitis
01-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Freebirds is my favorite as well because of all the choices. Multiple kinds of tortilla. White meat or dark meat. different kinds of cheese to choose from. fresh lime juice, roasted garlic. Love it!

Thomas Vu
01-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Contrary to a recent opinion, I enjoy the carnitas. The other meats at most places (including freebirds) are so well done they could be interchanged due to lack of flavor.

Brett
01-13-2016, 03:21 AM
I do prefer Freebirds over Chipotle. I haven't eaten there in a while though. One small complaint, the last time I visited the Belle Isle Freebirds for dinner, was that the staff did not keep the Spanish rice covered all day which caused grains of rice on top to dry out and I nearly lost a tooth biting into my burrito.

Pete
05-11-2020, 11:56 AM
Looks like they have closed their OKC locations for good.

Was told that was the case and they are no longer shown on their website.

David
05-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Very disappointing, the one in Belle Isle was a once-a-week stop for me.

Martin
05-11-2020, 12:41 PM
uggh... that's a shame. i hadn't been in a few months as it's not totally convenient to get to from downtown due to the 235 construction, but i really liked their product.

BridgeBurner
05-12-2020, 09:40 AM
Bummer, I tried to go to the Belle Isle one right at the beginning of the lockdown stuff and they were closed.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the restaurant concepts with nothing but a face shield between your food and the crowd of people are impacted heavily by this.

jdizzle
05-12-2020, 09:43 AM
I got food poisoning the last 3 times I went to Freebirds. I was very, VERY meh on them to begin with, then that happened. Good riddance, in my opinion.

Martin
05-12-2020, 10:57 AM
I got food poisoning the last 3 times I went to Freebirds. I was very, VERY meh on them to begin with, then that happened. Good riddance, in my opinion.

wow... talk about bad luck. in all the times i went, their food never made me sick. i know how you feel, though... i got sick *once* from subway maybe 6-7 years ago and haven't been back to any of their locations since.

David
05-12-2020, 04:49 PM
Well, I used to be a Qdoba man until I moved close to the Belle Isle area and started going to the Freebirds there, maybe I need to look that back up. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any of those are remotely close by.

barrettd
05-13-2020, 08:36 AM
Well, I used to be a Qdoba man until I moved close to the Belle Isle area and started going to the Freebirds there, maybe I need to look that back up. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that any of those are remotely close by.

Chipotle is probably closer for you.

Martin
05-13-2020, 08:53 AM
i've probably said this here before... but what i liked best about freebirds is that it was very similar in concept and execution to a place called 'atomic burrito' that had a location in norman back in the late 90's. really liked the amount of customization options available. for me, neither qdoba nor chipotle stack up as suitable substitutes.

Swake
05-13-2020, 08:55 AM

Atomic Burrito still exists, it's now Los Cabos, same owners.

Martin
05-13-2020, 08:58 AM
Atomic Burrito still exists, it's now Los Cabos, same owners.

the owners were out of the tulsa area, right?

sooner88
05-13-2020, 09:37 AM

Is that the place that was in Casady Square (I think?)

Martin
05-13-2020, 09:44 AM

i wouldn't know... i only ever went to the norman atomic burrito and don't know the specifics of tulsa to that level of detail. i just seem to remember the tulsa area location stayed on their website after the others had closed.

Swake
05-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Yeah, they sold out to Qdoba and started Los Cabos.

Ronnie Jackson
05-13-2020, 10:50 AM
I always found the Belle Isle Freebirds to be consistently bad, nowhere near the level of the company’s TX locations. This isn’t surprising.

Questor
05-13-2020, 06:45 PM

Yes

Questor
05-13-2020, 06:46 PM
I always enjoyed the Austin locations. I’m not sure why the ones here never seemed to have the same level of quality and service. The Norman location was downright gross right before it closed a few years ago.