View Full Version : New Sushi Restaurant in Campus Corner?

BG918
01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Saw in the Tulsa World where Greg Hughes, owner of In The Raw Sushi in Tulsa, is going to open a sushi restaurant in Norman, in Campus Corner. The article doesn't state where, just that the space recently became available and it's 2,800 SF. Love to see new places in the Corner with FreeBirds Burritos opening Monday in the old Malone's/Mulligan's spot. I really want to see more businesses build NEW buildings though further down Asp and especially along University but I guess you have to fill up what's already there first. I think we will see new stuff soon though.

Tulsa World: Fresh expansion (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?articleID=20080119_5_E1_hInth17382)

dismayed
01-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Freebirds Burritos is in Norman now? Are you serious?

Nuclear_2525
01-19-2008, 09:08 PM
yes, as of this coming monday

john60
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
went to Freebird's tonight at about 8....it was PACKED. Great sign. My burrito was huge and one of the best I've ever had. Awesome queso, too. This could mean the end of Moe's, which is horrible by comparison. It's also going to be open late on the weekends (like 3 AM) so it should see some great late night business as well.

They are working on getting a license to sell beer, but haven't gotten it yet.

I can't really think of any good available space on campus corner for In the RAW to open, although I think that has the opportunity to be a hit. Seven47 has definitely been a hit, and its in that same "trendy" genre...

BG918
01-21-2008, 09:47 PM
The only place I can think of is the Bayou/Daddy Woo's location on Buchanan but is that 2,800 SF? They are doing work on the place next to it, maybe there? Buchanan needs some added life so that would be good. There is also the old Savvy store on Asp but that seems too small. I'd love to see that parking lot developed into something by La Luna and Freebird's. Of course they would need to find a place to put that lost parking, but that just seems like too good a piece of land for parking. I'm ready for Campus Corner to be so built out that they actually have to start building new buildings further north on Asp. Maybe then they could put some apartments on the second floor, that would be a big hit.

Superhyper
01-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Really? That's exciting! In the Raw is one of my favorite Sushi restaurants, I hope this goes through! Also, Freebirds is pretty awesome. It even gives Chipotle a run for its money ^_^

venture
01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Freebirds is great. Loved eating there when I was in Austin for work.

DarlingDearest
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm sure Freebirds is decent, and while this may not be the best thread to post this on, but Pepe Delgados is next door and has the best burritos in Oklahoma.

I live in OKC and I try to go down there once a week!

metro
01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Pepe's does have some serious burritos!!

BG918
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
The only place I can think of that would be 2,800 SF is the Bayou location and the yarn shop next to it on Buchanan. If they combined the two I think that would give them enough space with a kitchen already in place at Bayou. I'd imagine the yarn shop would be where the bar is located, especially if they want it to be large like their one on Brookside. The Bayou has that loft space that could be additional seating or a lounge. They wouldn't have to do too much to the exterior, maybe new windows and doors. The interior would change quite a bit, probably something contemporary like Seven47. Wherever they end up I wish them success.

Jeopardude
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
The only place I can think of that would be 2,800 SF is the Bayou location and the yarn shop next to it on Buchanan. If they combined the two I think that would give them enough space with a kitchen already in place at Bayou. I'd imagine the yarn shop would be where the bar is located, especially if they want it to be large like their one on Brookside. The Bayou has that loft space that could be additional seating or a lounge. They wouldn't have to do too much to the exterior, maybe new windows and doors. The interior would change quite a bit, probably something contemporary like Seven47. Wherever they end up I wish them success.

I think they're going where Harold's Outlet is.

BG918
02-14-2008, 10:59 PM
So Harold's Outlet is closing? That seems like a pretty big space for them. I want so badly for development to start to overflow onto University Blvd. I think it would be a perfect place for a Campus Corner parking garage (with street retail), a small hotel, and student townhomes/lofts. That street is so pretty with the church on one end and Evans Hall on the other, it's under-utilized as it is now.

BG918
04-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Anyone know what their timetable is for moving into Harold's Outlet? I noticed "Closing Sale" signs on their door but it didn't give a closing date. I will be curious to see what they do with that space, and if they include outdoor seating. Will Harold's Outlet still have a location in Norman?

soonerkat
04-30-2008, 05:23 PM
According to the sales staff today, there will be no more Harold's warehouse in Norman, just the ones in OKC and Dallas. And they said that the sushi place will take up the south part of that building (the women's sections)

blangtang
04-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I thought the in the raw was scheduled to open by OU's first home gameday. Oh, and u shouldn't go there cuz greg hughes went to USC and therefore is a traitor infiltrating SoonerLand!

smack7980
05-12-2008, 02:54 PM
In the Raw is going into the old Harold's Warehouse (I have an inside source). The opening is scheduled for August. There is also an In the Raw going in Bricktown earlier this summer!

john60
05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I thought the in the raw was scheduled to open by OU's first home gameday. Oh, and u shouldn't go there cuz greg hughes went to USC and therefore is a traitor infiltrating SoonerLand!

A Trojan Horse....right in our own back yard. BEWARE....

I'm excited to see how this place does, in all seriousness.

Here's the question: Who will open first, O'Connells or In the Raw?

Jeopardude
05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
A Trojan Horse....right in our own back yard. BEWARE....

I'm excited to see how this place does, in all seriousness.

Here's the question: Who will open first, O'Connells or In the Raw?

Maybe they'll consolidate and open in the building between Chili's and BJ's.

blangtang
05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Maybe they'll consolidate and open in the building between Chili's and BJ's.

screw the trojans! But what are you talking about? that drainage pond with docks behind the charlestons? eh? is the building the cock out back there?

campus corner is a great place to lose money! the landlords gotta love all the broken leases.

smack7980
05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
In the Raw I predict will do great. With all the Tulsan's around here they already have a loyal following!!

john60
05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Is In the Raw going to stay open late and be a campus corner "bar" as well, or just a restaurant that will close around 10-11?

jbkrems
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
"In the Raw" is ALSO slated to open in the old Don Pablo's building on Memorial Rd. in NW Oklahoma City. I heard this from a VERY reputable source in the OKC restaurant community.

Dave Cook
05-21-2008, 12:08 AM
When did the sushi craze start in Oklahoma? This is a serious question.

dismayed
05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
About 10 years ago. Sushi places existed long before that (e.g. Tokyo Sushi Bar) but it was sometime in the late 90's when it really started taking off. There are quite a few sushi restaurants around the metro now, and at one time the SuperTarget on Memorial had the highest sushi deli sales of any store in the country.

Dave Cook
05-21-2008, 10:39 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Ten years ago, you couldn't get folks to even consider eating anything raw. Now it's the 'in' thing.

Who could have predicted this? I just can't believe that stat on Target.

Maybe if the Gazette would jump on shabu-shabu, the trendy class would get into that as well. Here's hoping. It's a top notch meal.

dismayed
05-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Oklahoma City is a lot like Seattle 20 years ago. At one point Seattle was a strange mix of rural loggers and forestry folks that had lived there forever, and a new up and coming group of high technology folks. The cultural differences between the two groups were vast. I feel like that is kind of where OKC is now... it's a city of at least two completely and totally different types of people.

positano
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Any more intel on the Norman "In The Raw"?

blangtang
07-21-2008, 11:48 PM
the building where they are supposedly opening, on university(old harolds outlet), seems to have construction going on, but it seems unlikely they will be open by the first football game. thats my observation.

also, it seems when new campus corner businesses miss out on the football season crowd, they struggle. like o'connells saying they would be open last fall...never happened. it looks like they are ready this time around tho...if they can make it during the downtime(summer) then they are golden, but if they can't they are screwed. just my thoughts....

BG918
07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
They are hiring and work is progressing. I also doubt they'll be open by the first game but maybe by October/conference games.

smack7980
07-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Norman In the Raw will be open late August. The date for Bricktown has been pushed back due to zoning issues! Greg is not a traitor...he and his family live in Tulsa and have for years. In the Raw will do great in Norman and they usually stay open as long as customers are there!

Dekoung
07-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Yes, In the Raw in Tulsa is a very cool place. I think it will be successful in Norman. So if it is only taking up the south end of the old Harold's Outlet what will be in the other end?

BG918
08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Unless they plan on working 24/7 for the next few weeks they won't be opening in August. I walked by yesterday and they are still far from being finished. I can't figure out if they will also use the main Harold's Outlet door or just a new door they have put in on their side facing the sidewalk. The two ITR's in Tulsa all have lots of outdoor seating, I wonder if they plan on doing that here (hope so) and where will that go? The sidewalk is wide enough for some tables but not that many.

My hope is that ITR, which will be hugely popular, and whatever retail goes in at the north end of the building helps spur a revival of University Blvd. That street has so much potential being the link between Main St. downtown, Campus Corner, and OU's North Oval and the axis is one of the nicest in Norman with McFarlin church at one end and Evans Hall at the other. It would be great to see new buildings with restaurants and retail, and apartments above, go up where those parking lots are on the westside of the street, and maybe a parking garage can finally be built to take care of the Corner's parking needs. I think this stretch would also be good for a small hotel, maybe a new modern version of the Sooner Hotel at University and White?

Dekoung
08-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I once heard a totally unsubstantiated rumor that an university hotel might be built where the parking lot is behind Boyd House.

BG, remember that First Presbyterian Church owns one of those parking lots on the west side of University and I doubt they would sell as it provides parking not only for members but the church makes a good income by selling the spaces weekday to students and to football fans during the season. This income is very helpful to the church budget.

blangtang
08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
any oldtimers know what was there, before it became a surface parking lot? oh and that church doesnt fit in on campus corner, they should move to the burbs.

BG918
08-11-2008, 12:20 PM
any oldtimers know what was there, before it became a surface parking lot? oh and that church doesnt fit in on campus corner, they should move to the burbs.

I agree, although they did just complete a renovation about two years ago. IF University becomes a more happening street, which I believe it will, then that church property becomes increasingly valuable and they would probably sell at that point. I personally think a good location for them would be along Boyd at McGee where there are a few really small ugly churches. They could use the money they get from a sale in Campus Corner to build a new building there assuming those small churches sell. That way they stay in central Norman but get out of Campus Corner.

Dekoung
08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I doubt First Pres wants to get off Campus Corner unless offered a ridiculous price. And why would they want to be in the burbs when the other large churches of their respective denominations McFarlin, First Christian, First Baptist, St John's are not.

First Pres not only has had a renovation in the last couple of years but is committed to having a vibrant university ministry and is currently renovating the university building just south of the church. It already is a coffeehouse during the school year with a very professional expresso machine and with Friday night music. I doubt this ministry could be very successful in the burbs. All of this is just my own opinion.

BG918
08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I doubt First Pres wants to get off Campus Corner unless offered a ridiculous price. And why would they want to be in the burbs when the other large churches of their respective denominations McFarlin, First Christian, First Baptist, St John's are not.

First Pres not only has had a renovation in the last couple of years but is committed to having a vibrant university ministry and is currently renovating the university building just south of the church. It already is a coffeehouse during the school year with a very professional expresso machine and with Friday night music. I doubt this ministry could be very successful in the burbs. All of this is just my own opinion.

I'm not opposed to First Pres. I just think eventually that land will be too valuable and the church, which has a fairly small congregation, might want to cash out and move but not for awhile. It is not a pretty church and the renovation actually made it worse but it serves a good purpose in the community. There are some pretty churches in that area with McFarlin one of the prettiest in Oklahoma if not the whole region but First Pres. is certainly not one of them...

Dekoung
08-14-2008, 07:39 PM
BG, I understand your position so no problem. And what you suggest may very well happen in the future. I agree Frist Pres is not the prettiest building around. I think my point was that it is the largest Presbyterian church(around 1000 members) in Norman so is the flagship so to speak and the other flagship churches of their respective denominations are nearby and not in the burbs or even McGee and Boyd.

Back on topic,In the Raw does not appear to be having an imminent opening.

blangtang
08-19-2008, 09:32 PM
sep 18th is what i last heard, but maybe end of sep

FlounderinDC
08-21-2008, 08:21 AM
I briefly poked my head in this morning and they were working away. It still looks to be far from complete, but I think they can hammer it out in a decent amount of time. Looks good so far. They kept that sink area in the middle of the room that had been in the store. Also it was bigger than I expected...I guess once you take all those clothes and racks out it opened up!