View Full Version : Maria's Kitchen = MUY BUENO!

namellac
12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
New Mexican Restaurant here in OKC! I always love the little hole-in-the-wall Mexican places. This one is especially good! Had lunch there today, and will probably go again this week - it's that good. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but it has awesome food!

Maria's Kitchen Mexican Restaurant

Very Authentic! Hand-made EVERYTHING!
Very Flavorful!
Very Spicy!
Very affordable! Most Combos are under $7!

6726 NW Expressway
Next to Little Mike's Across the Street from Johnnies near Rockwell
721-6060

jbrown84
12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Oooh right by my work. I'll have to check it out.

namellac
12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
So NEW their sign isn't even up yet. just a "Grand Opening" banner.

boilersmack
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Is it associated with the Maria's in Moore? I like their Mexican Tacos

ksearls
12-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Maria's New Mexican Kitchen is a great place in New Mexico (Alb & Santa Fe). Does anyone know if this is the same place? If so, it is sooo good. New Mexican food is different from Tex Mex, lots of green and red chili, not so much cheese. Yum!!

ksearls
12-18-2007, 06:04 AM
My bad, only Santa Fe. I feel sure the name must be a coincidence. I will sure give it a try. I used to work at a place called Santa Fe Crossing in the early 80's. It was a New Mexican place on Memorial and Santa Fe. I love green chilis! I had a freezer full that I had to trash because of the power outage.

metro
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
ksearls, do you know of any New Mexican places still in the metro? I really liked Blue Corn Cafe up on N. Penn near Memorial but it went out of business. I think they got too far in over their heads with overhead. They built that $2 million dollar building from the start.

soonerguru
12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
metro and Kim,

As far as I know the last remaining authentic New Mexican food is at the Border Crossing at Main and Flood in Norman. It's a little divey in there, but the food is spectacular. I like the green chile smoked chicken enchiladas -- heart attack on the plate and worth the risk.

soonerguru
12-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Oh, and just like in New Mexico they ask you: Green or Red? They're known for their Shed's Special, based on the famous Santa Fe restaurant with the same name.

ksearls
12-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I love Border Crossing. The guy that opened Santa Fe Crossing in the 80s used to own part of the Border Crossing. I used to bartend there (Santa Fe Xing) so long ago we still had to write names on the bottles and risked jail time with every drink we served! Oh, the good old days!

I love the "Christmas" shed special with a sunny-side-up egg!
I make a wicked-bad green chili stew from a recipe from the BC. I wish I had some right now!

No Metro, maybe this Maria's will be the new New Mex place. Please, someone give a report if you go there.

tuck
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
ksearls, do you know of any New Mexican places still in the metro? I really liked Blue Corn Cafe up on N. Penn near Memorial but it went out of business. I think they got too far in over their heads with overhead. They built that $2 million dollar building from the start.

Those guys brew their own beer in Santa Fe and get a fairly young/hip following. A ton of profit in alchohol. Their location in OKC really wasn't right for that crowd.

hipsterdoofus
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Man, I loved blue corn as well...I know of several people who say they didn't like it, but I think they were going in there looking for "Mexican" food and were disappointed. Wish we'd get another "New Mexican" place...I love me some green chili

jbrown84
12-19-2007, 08:01 AM
I miss Blue Corn hardcore. There was a New Mexican restaurant in the Riverwind when it opened, but we went by to try it once and they weren't going to be open for lunch, and then the next time we came back, it was closed and being remodeled into a sports bar.

raw98682
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Anyone know where to get some great mexican breakfast?

metro
12-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Cafe Do Brasil has an awesome Brasilian breakfast and lunch.

Misty
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM

Yeah, anywhere with migas and homemade tortillas and decent salsa?

tuck
12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Classen Grill's migas are outstanding. I love the Guatemalan place on Classen...you have to get the #7 for breakfast.

Misty
12-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks Tuck, I'll try those places. FYI-I'm eating Iron Starr BBQ right now and it's delicious as always :)

tuck
12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Always a good move...gracius!!!

jbrown84
12-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I LOVE Iron Starr.

lauraf
03-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey Ksearls, I have tried and tried unsuccessfully to recreate Border Crossing green chile stew at home. Will you share your recipe?? By the way, Border Crossing will be closing their doors after tonight.

namellac
06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Alas, another small restaurant has bit the dust. They had really good food too.

Maybe they'll pop up someplace else.

soonerfan21
06-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I noticed no sign over their spot a few days ago- any details on what happened? Unfortunately probably lack of advertising or letting people in the area know they were there plus high rent.

namellac
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
They were sub-leasing from Little Mike's, he stated they just evaporated. Don't know the real story. I'm gonna miss those HUGE burritos.