View Full Version : Do you do your part?

cowzrul
12-15-2007, 07:04 AM
I look at Heritage Park Mall, the new Town Center across from Tinker, and several other smaller complexs like the one on 15th and wonder if other residents besides myself lobby big retailers to move to MWC? I think a nice bookstore would be a wonderful addition to the Town Center. I know the B&N deal fell through but they aren't the only one out there. So what am I asking? If you have a favorite store just use their web contact form and send them a note stating you would like them to build in MWC.

Lauri101
12-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Cowzrul - welcome to the boards! It's always good to have new folks and especially more MWC residents!

Bombermwc and I have talked about the bookstore shortage in MWC many times. A Waldenbooks employee (before they closed HPM store) told me that the company attitude was that MWC market wouldn't support a bookstore.

I've written B&N, Books-A-Million and Borders/Waldenbooks, but have not even received a response. I guess all we can do is keep trying!:fighting3

bombermwc
12-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Hopefully the city can work on an incentives package or something to lure one down here. I've been very impressed with the variety of shops they have been developing. At first it was cool to have the big stuff like the new Target and Kohls, but i was a little worried when all the restaurants were normal sit down stuff. I didn't want fast food like McDonals, but something less than the $10 burger ya know. So things like Chik-Fil-A and Panda help level it out. Plus all the stuff there on Mid-Ameria is really shaping up nicely to balance out the big-box feel.

I have to say that on Saturday, I went Christmas shopping in Town Center and got almost everything I needed in just a couple of hours. What was so awesome about that?
1 - I didn't leave MWC so all my tax dollars went to my own town
2 - I didn't have to go to MALL!!!!!!!!!
3 - I could walk from one place to the next or drive if I wanted and didn't have to worry about walking a mile outside.
4 - The places were full of people but I didn't feel as though I was crammed in with people....yes there were lines at the checkouts, but again it wasn't horrible.
5 - Did I mention that I didn't have to leave MWC!!!!

soonerfaithful
12-22-2007, 07:39 PM
5 - Did I mention that I didn't have to leave MWC!!!!
I was telling my daughter the other night I have done more shopping for Christmas this year at Target then ever before in the past. Not just at Target but Kohl's, Penney's and Best Buy. It's wonderful having those so close to my house.
I haven't gone to Wallyworld for anything.
As you said bomber it's nice to know our tax money is staying here and not in some other city.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Not to offend...But I prefer to keep my tax dollars in my pocket and buy on Amazon.

cowzrul
12-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Not to offend...But I prefer to keep my tax dollars in my pocket and buy on Amazon.

I agree but neither Amazon or Newegg sell food, 2x4s, drivers licensees or cars. Nothing wrong with getting a great deal on a GPS on-line but when I have the choice for something local I intend to keep my dollars in MWC. :bright_id

Lauri101
12-23-2007, 10:11 AM

Technically, if you are following the oft-ignored OK state law, you are paying taxes for your on-line purchases! ;)

Like others have said - I like to both support MWC by buying local, PLUS - not having to waste gas driving 20 miles to NW OKC to find products I need/want.

Although Amazon is my number-one source of books, I'd much rather fondle my books before purchasing!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I agree but neither Amazon or Newegg sell food, 2x4s, drivers licensees or cars. Nothing wrong with getting a great deal on a GPS on-line but when I have the choice for something local I intend to keep my dollars in MWC. :bright_id

Amazon DOES sell food (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-8084970-4470419?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=&x=16&y=14). Just not things like milk.

And I've been trying to figure out a way to keep from paying tax on a car for years, and only managed to do it once. Bought it here, and registered it in California.

Lauri, I'd be TICKED if I had to start paying taxes for online purchases. Not doing so saves me hundreds of dollars a year. Some years, more than a thousand.

Lauri101
12-24-2007, 04:53 AM
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-8084970-4470419?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=&x=16&y=14"]

Lauri, I'd be TICKED if I had to start paying taxes for online purchases. Not doing so saves me hundreds of dollars a year. Some years, more than a thousand.

Since I'm a Fed and don't work for the OTC, I won't tell!:tiphat:

The law, as it stands, is pretty much unenforceable anyway - how would they ever know?

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about an audit from the state - they are pretty undermanned in Compliance right now.

Luke
12-24-2007, 09:52 AM
Get rid of taxes altogether and vote Ron Paul!

:)

cowzrul
12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Amazon DOES sell food. Just not things like milk.

Ooops. Guess I never had a need to look online for food since I use the commisary.

Midtowner
12-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Since I'm a Fed and don't work for the OTC, I won't tell!:tiphat:

The law, as it stands, is pretty much unenforceable anyway - how would they ever know?

An audit.. the credit card slips would tell all :)

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about an audit from the state - they are pretty undermanned in Compliance right now.

I think increasing the funding to compliance would be an endeavor which would pay for itself -- especially when it comes to online purchases.

I just think the system itself is a little absurd. They expect the taxpayer to track all of her online purchases for the year. Most of us just aren't that organized :)

MRG73110
01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
So does anyone remember the Hastings Bookstore that opened for a brief period on Air Depot? It was located in what is now Aaron's Rent-to-Own. What does that say about Midwest City? I find it fascinating that with the population of the Mid-Del area (and surrounding communities), not a single bookstore chain can forecast a profit by opening up here.