View Full Version : Kona Ranch

Rage_Kage
11-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Anyone tried it? What did you think? Im think about trying it but have not found a whole lot of people who have been.

Misty
11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
I've never been but a friend of mine loves it and says it's his favorite restaurant.

Martin
11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
it's been awhile since i've been, but it used to be pretty good. it's basically a steakhouse with a hawaiian theme.

-M

CCOKC
11-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Last time I went was in September and it was still pretty good. They have steaks which I don't eat since I am I veggie but the salad is good as well as the baked potato and the bread which comes with a coconut butter.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-15-2007, 03:42 PM
It's pretty good. Their filet didn't impress me one bit, but everything else was tasty. G/F liked the queso a LOT. This was a couple of months ago that I went.

CMSturgeon
11-15-2007, 04:38 PM
You guys have talked me into going here next time I dine. My b/f and I are requiring ourselves to always go to a new restaurant until there aren't anymore left.

Easy180
11-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Used to eat there all the time...Food is pretty good and not very pricey

Have to say the freakin bread and that coconut butter is worth the drive alone

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Oooh damn...I forgot about the coconut butter. Thats tasty stuff right there.

metro
11-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Yeah there steaks and pastas are pretty good, bread is great, I'm not a fan of sweet butters so that doesn't impress me, I'm a regular or garlic butter kind of guy, or even better, truffle butter!

CMSturgeon
11-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Ok, the bread and butter was delicious. Everyone's food was delicious. The service was great. But the Mojitos were no good.

metro
11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
CMSturgeon, care to do a review of the food?

CMSturgeon
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I went, Friday to Kona Ranch with 4 friends. We all tasted each others' meals, so here is my review as I promised.

Setting:

Ok, seeing as how I typically don't wear cowboy boots or a hat, and neither do my friends, we felt pretty out of place here and caught the eyes of everyone in the damned restaurant, so it seemed. No one told me you had to own a cow to eat here! EVERYONE there, was wearing cowboy-ish attire, except for my table. I don't mind at all but we probably would've dressed up, just to have fun!

Drinks:

Two of my friends ordered Mojitos and had them sent back because they tasted like water with lemon squeezed into them. They came back with more alcohol in them but were not very enjoyable. They drank those and proceeded to order beers afterwards. Kona Ranch's selection of foreign beer is extremely limited, to Corona and Tecate, so they stuck with Tecate.

Appetizer:

We had the wonderful bread and butter first. I loved it but the two gentlemen at my table who do not care for coconut did not enjoy it at all.

We shared an Volcano Onion which seemed a little bland for onion rings but was still quite enjoyable. It was served with a house bbq sauce which was also enjoyable. The size of the appetizer was adequate enough for 4-5 hungry people to share.

Salads:

I ordered a caesar which was extremely dry so I had to request some extra dressing but once we fixed that problem everything was fine. My salad was just an average caesar, nothing amazing like Outback or Charlestons. The house salad with Ranch that my boyfriend had was good, but also just an average house salad.

Entrees:

Chicken fried steak with a side of fries. The fries were delicious, and the gravy on my steak was also delicious. However enjoyable, the steak was quite dry. I would choose Charlestons over Kona Ranch if you're looking for a great chicken fried steak. But I still really enjoyed my meal.

Hawaiian chicken: covered with pineapple and an order of 'new mashed potatoes.' I absolutely loved everything on this plate, it was all delicious.

Prime rib: It was SO good. He ordered it medium rare and it seemed cooked to a T and was so flavorful and delicious. One of the better steaks I have had.

Brisket: I didn't enjoy the combo of the sauce and the brisket at all. It tasted like a hospital smells, if that makes any sense to anyone. Haha! The sauce seperatley was good. And the brisket alone had so much flavor and was so tender and yummy. The two just do not compliment each other well.

NY Strip: Just called 'the strip,' my friends steak was a bit dry for my liking but, like the prime rib, was flavorful and delicious.

Overall, I would rate this restaurant as a 7 on my own scale. I would definitely return, but not to enjoy the bar or the setting, more to enjoy the fried foods and steak. Oh, and the delicious bread and butter.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Very few restaurants in Oklahoma have a decent beer selection. Foreign or otherwise.

Besides, you shouldn't be drinking anyway. I'm callin' the cops!

CMSturgeon
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey, those beers weren't for me!

metro
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
CMSturgeon, I imagine everyone there was in "cowboy attire" since they had some big horse show at the fairgrounds this last week or so. Also it seems like most rural Oklahoman's from Oklahoma or West Texas only eat along the Meridian Corridor so that probably explains that. Most of these restaurants rely heavily on tourists, not locals. Every time I've eaten there, there were plenty of normal dressed people (including us). I guess it just depends what big event is in town.

As far as a good chicken fried steak, I don't recommend the chain restaurants you mentioned but rather time tested locally owned Chuck House (I prefer the original on 10th and Meridian) or they have a new one in Edmond on Broadway. Now that is a chicken fried steak!!

CMSturgeon
11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
CMSturgeon, I imagine everyone there was in "cowboy attire" since they had some big horse show at the fairgrounds this last week or so. Also it seems like most rural Oklahoman's from Oklahoma or West Texas only eat along the Meridian Corridor so that probably explains that. Most of these restaurants rely heavily on tourists, not locals. Every time I've eaten there, there were plenty of normal dressed people (including us). I guess it just depends what big event is in town.

As far as a good chicken fried steak, I don't recommend the chain restaurants you mentioned but rather time tested locally owned Chuck House (I prefer the original on 10th and Meridian) or they have a new one in Edmond on Broadway. Now that is a chicken fried steak!!

Ok, I will have to try this place. Chicken fried steak is my all-time favorite thing to eat. I am just a poultry person.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok, I will have to try this place. Chicken fried steak is my all-time favorite thing to eat. I am just a poultry person.

Then you might want to try chicken fried chicken instead :D

CMSturgeon
11-20-2007, 07:22 AM
My friend once asked if an egg was a fruit.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-20-2007, 07:31 AM
My friend once asked if an egg was a fruit.

That's the kind of person that you're morally obligated to convince that chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

gcald
11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Let's see if I've correctly distilled the gist of the latter part of the the thread: if I see a brown egg dressed in cowboy attire since it is not dressed normally I can conclude it is therefore a tourist and being an egg is also possibly a fruit (yikes)! Also given that it is in a life stage of the definitive poultry person I can safely assume that it loves chicken fried steak and after having done so since it's brown it will produce a substance that is chocolatey good! I'm gonna try that beer!

CMSturgeon
11-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Let's see if I've correctly distilled the gist of the latter part of the the thread: if I see a brown egg dressed in cowboy attire since it is not dressed normally I can conclude it is therefore a tourist and being an egg is also possibly a fruit (yikes)! Also given that it is in a life stage of the definitive poultry person I can safely assume that it loves chicken fried steak and after having done so since it's brown it will produce a substance that is chocolatey good! I'm gonna try that beer!

Sure!