View Full Version : ORU scandal - breaking news

metro
10-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Scandal Tests Faith at Oral Roberts University
Professors Fired After Accusing University President of Using School Money for His Own Use

Oct. 9, 2007 —

Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla., a school built on faith, is now having its faith tested.

Accusations have surfaced of money laundering by Richard Roberts, the university's president and son of its founder, Oral Roberts.

Three professors, John Swails, Tim Brooker and Paulita Brooker, were fired for allegedly voicing concerns about the university's involvement in Tulsa's recent mayoral race  a move that would jeopardize the school's tax exempt status.

"We turned it over to the board of trustees, and at that point we all found ourselves separated from the university," Swails said.

The professors' lawsuit alleges that Roberts took money from the university's coffers and remodeled his family home 11 times in 14 years, spent more than $26,000 on his daughter's senior trip and even required university employees to complete her homework.

The suit also alleges that Roberts' wife, Lindsey, spent more than $39,000 of the school's money on clothing and ran up more than $800 monthly in cell phone bills, which included hundreds of text messages in the middle of the night to "underage males who had been provided phones at university expense."

"I am not intimidated by blackmail and extortion," Roberts said in response to the accusations.

Roberts is the son of Oral Roberts, who started his namesake's ministry in Southern tent revivals and grew it into one of America's largest evangelical empires. He founded the university in 1963 in Tulsa, building a futuristic campus for a university he hoped would last forever.

Now, with that future in jeopardy, Roberts told his congregation last week that God had told him to fight the allegations.

"He accused us of being extortionists, blackmailers and that that it was God's words about us," Tim Brooker said.

But the professors believe something different.

Swails said, "I suggest that wasn't the Lord that told him, because the Lord is telling us different things."

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

ABC News: ABC News Search (http://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=oral%20roberts%20university&type=)

PUGalicious
10-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Breaking news? That was being reported last week on both local and national news outlets.

metro
10-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Okay, my bad. I heard it on ABC and CBS news this morning and they said breaking news in the ORU scandal. And this was the article on ABC's homepage today.

PUGalicious
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
In any case, it's certainly BIG news and the scrutiny is LONG overdue.

Midtowner
10-09-2007, 08:57 AM
And yet people still hang on the every word of these clowns.

Unbelievable.

jbrown84
10-09-2007, 08:58 AM
My dad is an ORU alum and he has not given them a cent ever since Richard Roberts took over. He's a shady, shady man. It's time for him to go.

Midtowner
10-09-2007, 09:25 AM
And Oral, "God-will-call-me-home-unless-you-give-me-8-million-dollars" isn't shady?

jbkrems
10-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Personally, I would give Richard Roberts, etc. the benefit of the doubt until we have the real facts, and reserve any judgment until then.

Midtowner
10-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I'll give the three professors who were fired for taking this information to the board of directors (handled it internally) over the word of the son of a crook like Oral Roberts the benefit of the doubt.

okclee
10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Isn't that old man Roberts up in the golden tower refusing to come down until he gets a Billion dollars??

jbrown84
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Personally, I would give Richard Roberts, etc. the benefit of the doubt until we have the real facts, and reserve any judgment until then.

He has a history.

redland
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM

The "benefit of a doubt" period for these charlatans expired long ago, dating back to the days of the infamous pair ORAL Roberts and VERBAL Snooks (you can't make that stuff up!). There are of course many fine students on the campus and some commedable faculty too, but far from being an asset to Tulsa, ORU is more of an embarrasment.