View Full Version : Cox Added History Channel HD...

Jack Wonder
09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
But they're still growing at a friggin' snail's pace in terms of extended HD programming for people w/HDTV.

It's pretty frustrating, especially considering that dish networks like Direct TV are nearing 50, 60, and even 100 HD channels by the end of the year!?

Right now with Cox, I have about 17 HD channels, counting the networks and HBO, which I pay MORE for anyway....not cool.

Regarding History HD though, it's about time! I love HC and look forward to watching my favorite programs like Ice Road Truckers, Cities of the Underworld, and more in glorious High Def! :)

PUGalicious
09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
But they're still growing at a friggin' snail's pace in terms of extended HD programming for people w/HDTV.

It's pretty frustrating, especially considering that dish networks like Direct TV are nearing 50, 60, and even 100 HD channels by the end of the year!?

Right now with Cox, I have about 17 HD channels, counting the networks and HBO, which I pay MORE for anyway....not cool.

What's stopping you from switching?

Jack Wonder
09-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I've been living in an apartment complex that does not allow you to get satellite.

Then I started looking into it more as I began getting ready to move into a home. However, I talked to some neighbors in that I'll live next to, and they said they've had a dish and had to get rid of it b/c of high trees/bad weather...?? :(

PUGalicious
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
That's one of the reasons I've never switched. I may pay more for Cox, but they are far more reliable. I wish they would speed up the addition of more HD channels, but I'm grateful for the channels we have. I just wish KOCO and Hearst-Argyle would get their act together.

oneforone
09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
I know a few insiders at Cox they tell me that they will have at least 100 HD channels as soon as the Fiber Optic Upgrade has been completed. They just did it in my area and all channels are digital from 1-950. The picture quality is amazing no more grain WOO HOO!. HD looks like I am looking whatever is on the screen in person.

otis
09-26-2007, 07:37 AM
I was with Dish for over 10 years. One of the reasons I switched to Cox was when the HD channels come out my bill was going to go up by $20 to $30 extra that would have made it higher than what I am paying for Cox.

Dish is alright, but it was getting more expensive than Cox.

Otis

Midtowner
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I noticed a few other channels last night. National Geographic and others of that nature.

PUGalicious
09-26-2007, 09:19 AM
They've been around for a few months. History HD was added in the last week.

Dark Jedi
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I've been living in an apartment complex that does not allow you to get satellite.

Then I started looking into it more as I began getting ready to move into a home. However, I talked to some neighbors in that I'll live next to, and they said they've had a dish and had to get rid of it b/c of high trees/bad weather...?? :(

As for the complex, look up the relevant laws. I'm pretty sure they cannot forbid a dish, by law.

oneforone
09-26-2007, 03:46 PM
My complex forbids them from being mounted on to the building. However, you can put them on a base on your patio or outside your apartment in the ground provided there is not a sidewalk, parking or passageway nearby.

Having satelitte dishes all over apartment buildings looks very tacky. It kind of reminds me of a car with too many bumper stickers. If you do not believe me look at Cornerstone Apartments between penn and western on I-240 west of 7-11.

Not to mention, you have to have a clear view of the southern sky in order for your satellite dish to work. Many apartments do not have a clear view of the southern sky. I have two buildings and a large tree blocking the southern view.

windowphobe
09-26-2007, 05:22 PM
The ordinance governing our Urban Conservation District places limits on where you can place a dish:

1. This section shall only apply to satellite dishes in excess of two meters in width; 2. If mounted on a pole or attached to the ground, shall not be forward of the front building line nor exceed the height of the main structure by more than 15 feet; 3. If mounted to the main structure, shall not be forward of the front building line; in the event the structure has a hip type roof, shall not be forward of the main ridge line and/or mounted to the front slope; in the event of a gable type roof, shall not be forward of the main ridge line and/or mounted to the front slope; in the event the mounting is on the side of the structure and/or the side slope of a hip or flat type roof, shall be a minimum of ten feet from the front building line. This provision shall not prevent the item from protruding above the main ridge line and the height shall not exceed the height of the main structure by more than 15 feet.

I suspect similar strictures exist in other areas.

OU Adonis
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
ABC is now back in HD.

Jack Wonder
09-27-2007, 02:47 PM
I know a few insiders at Cox they tell me that they will have at least 100 HD channels as soon as the Fiber Optic Upgrade has been completed. They just did it in my area and all channels are digital from 1-950. The picture quality is amazing no more grain WOO HOO!. HD looks like I am looking whatever is on the screen in person.

Uh, at Cox's rate that could mean in 10 years???!!

I spoke with SEVERAL Cox reps, and I was told "at best, Cox may expand as many as 3 additional HD channels a month until the end of the year..."

Ummm, yeah, that was 5 weeks ago, and all we've gotten was History HD.

*rolls eyes*

PUGalicious
09-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm wanting the Food Network in HD next! Enid cable subscribers already have it and the food looks EXTRA scrumpilicious in HD!

According to Cox's website TBS is the next to go HD... Oct. 3rd!

Come on, Cox! Food Network! PLEASE!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-27-2007, 03:30 PM
What kinda sucks is now that out of the 3 major things required to make HD happen (customer demand, affordable equipment/service, and content), is that the content area is a bit lacking.

Sure, the prime time shows are in HD, as are most sports. But it sucks when they show non-HD source material on an HD channel and stretch the image. It's grainy and people look funny...Kind of the opposite of what HD is supposed to be in my opinion.

Oh, and the thing that REALLY gets on my nerves? Local stations throwing up a weather map that takes up a 12" X 14" area of my screen that not only blocks my view, it kills the HD feed and reverts to SD, so I get a sh*tty image that's probably 30-40 percent smaller than my television is capable of displaying....FOR A RAIN CLOUD IN ELK CITY.

PUGalicious
09-27-2007, 03:31 PM
What kinda sucks is now that out of the 3 major things required to make HD happen (customer demand, affordable equipment/service, and content), is that the content area is a bit lacking.

Sure, the prime time shows are in HD, as are most sports. But it sucks when they show non-HD source material on an HD channel and stretch the image. It's grainy and people look funny...Kind of the opposite of what HD is supposed to be in my opinion.

Oh, and the thing that REALLY gets on my nerves? Local stations throwing up a weather map that takes up a 12" X 14" area of my screen that not only blocks my view, it kills the HD feed and reverts to SD, so I get a sh*tty image that's probably 30-40 percent smaller than my television is capable of displaying....FOR A RAIN CLOUD IN ELK CITY.

AMEN!

:congrats:

Jack Wonder
09-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm wanting the Food Network in HD next! Enid cable subscribers already have it and the food looks EXTRA scrumpilicious in HD!

According to Cox's website TBS is the next to go HD... Oct. 3rd!

Come on, Cox! Food Network! PLEASE!

Food Network would be cool. They've got some decent programming, and it's always worth checking out when there's nothing on.

Jack Wonder
09-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Bingo! And we know how bad the news stations sensationalize weather during sweeps!?! **Angry**

Easy180
11-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Looks like they are adding 8 more HD channels later this month

Best of the bunch for me is CNN, NFL Network, and FSN

Also enjoying the HD movies on demand...Lessens the desire to go out and buy a HD or BluRay player right now

Cox is finally adding them at a decent pace now

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-17-2007, 06:21 PM
CNN in HD? Sweet. I don't know why I think so...But I DO watch a bunch of CNN :D

Easy, do you have an Xbox 360? I bought the HD DVD player add-on for mine. At $179, with 6 free HD DVD's...I couldn't pass it up.

Looks GREAT too.

OKCDrummer77
11-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Pugalicious, it looks like you may get your wish. Cox has Food Network HD listed as "Coming soon."

Midtowner
11-18-2007, 07:42 AM
The ordinance governing our Urban Conservation District places limits on where you can place a dish:

I suspect similar strictures exist in other areas.

WP -- I'm not sure that the Conservation District can really do that. It would seem to me that FCC regulations which (as I have heard) say that no government, District, neighborhood association, etc. can make laws or rules forbidding satellite dishes sort of preempts what the neighborhood association is trying to do there.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas (http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html)

Is an Urban Conservation District a historical preservation district? I think that's an exception. But otherwise, if you have to put the thing up on a big pole to get a signal, no one can stop you, IMHO.

dismayed
11-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I remember when I lived in apartments many of them would prohibit satellite dishes on their property. In reality I think it had more to do with the "exclusive" contracts that cable companies will often swing with an entire complex's owner. That's why often one apartment complex will be all AT&T, or another all Cox.

About a week ago I read that the FCC had finally ruled that this practice was illegal and that apartment renters had the right to go with anyone they want.

windowphobe
11-18-2007, 06:13 PM
The UCD ordinance and the Historic District ordinance have similar terms, so I suspect what goes for the latter likely also goes for the former.