View Full Version : Looking for Geo Metro or other 3 cyl 5 speed car

jpeaceokc
07-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I didn't see a "car talk" board (which might be a good idea), so I am posting this here.

I would like to buy a 3 cylinder, 5 speed car, preferably a Geo Metro. alternatively, a Suzuki Swift or Chevy Sprint, which are pretty much the same thing as the Geo Metro. If folks don't want to reply to the public board, they can email me at bwaldrop@cox.net .

metro
07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
jpeace, you might want to check the "exchange" portion of this website. It's basically the classifieds section FYI...

Karried
07-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Have you tried AutoTrader, Ebay and Craig's List?

metro
07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I was actually referring to the "exchange" portion of this website, not business exchange. If you look at the top of the screen there is a globe that says "exchange". It is used as the classifieds section. Don't know if that will help you out. But as Karried said, try AutoTrader and Craigslist, if you can't find it there, there probably isn't one local for sale.

OkieKAS
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Here is a GOOD CHEAP BANGER........

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/542/medium/100_0437.jpg

hehehe...wellllllll...it kindasorta ran, until my cuz kept breaking down in it on I35 - OKC, so after the last time we had to go tow it in we.....uh....er...kindasorta...utilized it for a little test.....

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/542/medium/100_0424.jpg

OhhhhGeeeeZZZ but do we LOVE that Deuce +

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-17-2007, 07:25 PM
What in the heck are you doing with a duece-n-a-half?

That rules.

OkieKAS
07-17-2007, 07:45 PM
You're absolutely rockin' right!

We bought it a couple of years ago from a guy in Morrison, Oklahoma. It is an actual Vietnam era Kaiser M35 deuce and a 1/2. My boyheads like to MudBog! It is a great ride and comes in very handy when those that don't belong in the mud....are.

Plus....all of the chix did it.

In fact, Jay just pulled in in his Semi and took it out to Chickasha Lake because someone else's kid has had his small truck stuck out about 100 ft out in the lake for severalmany days and no one will/can tow it out. Green Meanie will "get 'er done".

Hate to be that kid's parents.

Check out some more pics of it:

Flickr: Photos from OkieKAS (http://flickr.com/photos/ourbelovedoklahoma/)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I didn't see a "car talk" board (which might be a good idea), so I am posting this here.

I would like to buy a 3 cylinder, 5 speed car, preferably a Geo Metro. alternatively, a Suzuki Swift or Chevy Sprint, which are pretty much the same thing as the Geo Metro. If folks don't want to reply to the public board, they can email me at bwaldrop@cox.net .

Does it have to be a 3 cylinder?

Here's a Prism. (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/car/375202508.html)..But it's a 4 banger...Auto.

I check CL about every day...I'll drop you a note if something pops up.

OkieKAS
07-17-2007, 09:42 PM
1996 Geo prizm $ 151000 MILES - $1500
MOVING AND NEED THIS SOLD!! ( geo prizm is same car as Toyota Corolla ) color: black, overall good condition, has some minor cosmetic flaws , paint starting to go on some spots, little crack in windshield and some stains on the seats , motor is sound, no leakage and drives well. Priced to sell at $ 1500 obo , call Bryan at 405-204 7765
Reply to: sale-362466579@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-06-28, 4:05PM CDT

OkieKAS
07-17-2007, 09:50 PM
GEO Prism 1995
Reply to: uvara@ucok.edu
Price: $ 1300

Description: 1995 GEO PRIZM, good condition, kept it uptodate with oil change. please email at uvara@ucok.edu or call @ 405-923-4136 or 405-923-7869.
Additional Details:
Make: Geo
Model: Prizm
Mileage: More than 100k
Color: Blue
Year: 1995

OkieKAS
07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Postaroo (http://www.postaroo.com/Oklahoma_City-OK)

jpeaceokc
07-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Have you tried AutoTrader, Ebay and Craig's List?

Yes, I've done searches on AutoTrader within a 300 mile radius. Most of them are 4 cylinders or automatics, a 3 cylinder 5 speed was listed in Texas, but when i called, they said they had bought the car at an auction and it wasn't for sale. They had no idea why it was on Autotrader.

I did some bidding on one car at Ebay, but didn't meet the reserve price. I have never used Craig's List, so I don't know much about it. I've also been searching the Oklahoman and Dallas Morning News classifieds every other day or so. and slowly calling my way through the used car listings in the Yellow pages. I guestimate I've called about 1/3 of them, 3 were interested enough in my business to ask for my name and phone number in case something comes up.

jpeaceokc
07-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Does it have to be a 3 cylinder?

Here's a Prism. (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/car/375202508.html)..But it's a 4 banger...Auto. I check CL about every day...I'll drop you a note if something pops up.

For now, I am concentrating on the 3 cylinder. I am looking for maximum gasoline savings within my budget. I can't afford a Prius or other hybrid, so Geo Metro (or Suzuki Swift) are the best bet. Thanks for letting me know if anything comes up on CL.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-21-2007, 04:32 AM
I don't know what your budget is, but food for thought...Another car to look at would be one of the VW's with the TDI. Some of those guys are getting over 50 mpg in those little oil-burners.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-21-2007, 05:21 AM
If you're willing to drive to Dallas to get it: 1990 Geo Metro (http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/370981521.html)

Another: 1991 Geo Metro (http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/361516296.html)

jpeaceokc
07-22-2007, 05:47 PM
If you're willing to drive to Dallas to get it: 1990 Geo Metro (http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/370981521.html)

Another: 1991 Geo Metro (http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/361516296.html)

Thanks for the tip. I called and it was an automatic (the two ads are about the same car, even though one says it is a 91, the other a 90. Same phone number.

jpeaceokc
07-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't know what your budget is, but food for thought...Another car to look at would be one of the VW's with the TDI. Some of those guys are getting over 50 mpg in those little oil-burners.

What is "the TDI"? Are you talking about one of the old VW bugs?

jpeaceokc
07-22-2007, 05:49 PM
jpeace, you might want to check the "exchange" portion of this website. It's basically the classifieds section FYI...

I put a small add in the classifieds section. When I first glanced at the menu and saw this board (to which my post was moved), i read it as Business Sex Exchange, hehehe, and passed over it thinking it was the "adult" section.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
What is "the TDI"? Are you talking about one of the old VW bugs?

TDI is the "turbo diesel" engines that they put in some of their cars. Everybody I've known that's had one has sworn by it. They get incredible mileage, and are VERY peppy cars. The only one I've ever been in was a Jetta TDI car, and on top of the mechanical side being an impressive feat, it was a nice little car.

If you're the industrious type, you could even make your own biodiesel and run it off of McDonald's by-products :D

CCOKC
07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I owned a Jetta tdi and loved loved loved it. It is a really fun car to drive. The problem is that they are pretty hard to find. I think VW is not going to be selling the new ones in the states anymore. It really does get about 50 mph but the trade-off is that they aren't as clean burning as gasoline engines. I did not have any problems finding deisel in the metro area and would recommend a used one if you can find one. They are supposed to hold their resale values pretty well. Cable VW on 39th is the only VW dealer in the metro and at the time we purchased ours two years ago they said it was the only true dealer in the state.

OkieKAS
07-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I put a small add in the classifieds section. When I first glanced at the menu and saw this board (to which my post was moved), i read it as Business Sex Exchange, hehehe, and passed over it thinking it was the "adult" section.

LOL jpeace......sex EXCHANGE???

Funny guy that you are, your Mom would kiss you for passing it over. Most people assume that chat boards/forums are for the purpose of obtaining/cybering sex.

Not this one....well....not that I know of......but, to each it's own.....:dizzy:

However OKCTALK is about that.....talk....about OKC, Oklahoma or What's happening out there that you may want to bring to the attention of others for the purpose of a lively chat.

That's all!

Feel free to join in any "conversation".

OKCTALK - Keepin' it Clean!

You are not going to find nudity on here....I really can not vouch for what people actually are wearing while keyboarding.....and all of the pets, most generally, are not clothed....albeit...

All we do is TALK.

jpeaceokc
07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
WOO HOO ! Found one today on autotrader.com , at Brown Motor Company on W Highway 82 in Gainesville, Texas. Saw the listing about 1 PM, ordered and read the Carfax report, which was really clean, only two owners, and it was registered every year since it left the plant, no salvagage title or other nasty etc. After looking at that, I called the dealership, they still had it. It was exactly what I was looking for, 3 cylinders, 5 speed.

So we got into the pickup, drove down, checked it out, went for a spin, and bought it for $749 including title, tax, and misc dealership fees. It's high mileage, but it drove just fine all the way home. Needs a front end alighnment, and a tuneup and oil change on GP (general principles). Transmission worked fine. No other odd noises. My friend driving the pickup said that nothing fell off it on the way home. Its tires are in better shape than my truck's tires. No smell of burning oil or signs of oil leaks. It got 51 miles per gallon on the trip home (and we drove right at 70 and occasionally 75 to pass somebody), while the 1989 Chevy Silverado truck lumbered along at 21 miles per gallon. The radio is skitzy, the turn signal don't work, the muffler rattles, but those are fixable. It didn't use any oil on the way home. It's still up at the autotrade.com website at Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com (http://tinyurl.com/yr7cvo) .

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-26-2007, 11:21 PM
That's awesome!

And for $749...Heck...I spend more than that on gas alone in just a few months! A little puddle-jumper like that should save you a pile of money.

Congrats on the new wheels.:Smiley181

CuatrodeMayo
07-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Did they throw in a casket with the deal?

jpeaceokc
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM

What would I need a casket for? It's been hmmmm 30 years since I've had a wreck, I don't intend to start having them now. I understand that isn't entirely in my control, but I think the risk of rising gasoline prices to my budget, and the risk of excessive emissions to the atmosphere, is more compelling than what might happen in a wreck. I don't have air bags in the pickup either, it's a 1989, so I don't know how much more safe it is.

jpeaceokc
07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
That's awesome!

And for $749...Heck...I spend more than that on gas alone in just a few months! A little puddle-jumper like that should save you a pile of money.

Congrats on the new wheels.:Smiley181

We are happy. At $2.70-2.90/gallon, my monthly gasoline bill runs $250 or so with the pickup. I expect to do a lot better with the Metro.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I've got one that gets well under 15 mpg, and only runs on premium fuel...So I know ALLLL about gas bills. :D

I don't drive that one every day though...I've got a second truck with a V6 that runs on regular unleaded and gets 20 or better for that task. Not to mention the cheaper truck doesn't attract shopping carts from 13 miles away.

excat_56
07-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Much better than my play toys, my play toys average at about 2 1/2 miles (10 1/4 mile passes) on 5 gallons of gas. So that would be what, about 1/2 mile a gallon roughly. Then the other toy gets about 2 miles a gallon. I love my toys!

OkieKAS
07-30-2007, 01:26 PM
WOO HOO ! Found one today on autotrader.com It's still up at the autotrade.com website at Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com (http://tinyurl.com/yr7cvo) .

OOOps it is no longer visible!

This car is no longer listed for sale.

Glad to hear that you found what you wanted.

OkieKAS
07-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Just recalling a very traumatic incidence..........
Not funny THEN, at all....but now, it is seasoned with a bit of humor.

When my daughter died (2000), we had her a funeral, then in casket sent her to be cremated at a crematorium on Britton Rd/OKC.
They called us when she was ready to be picked up. (1 week)
Nutso that I already was, during all of this, we arrived at the place to get her, meaning my 2 sons, their g/f's, myself and hubby.
They (crematorium) asked us if we brought a trailer.
We all just looked at each other.....
Now, my sons are both 6'4", and Leslie was 5'11 and weighted 207 at the time of her death, so it takes us severalmany moments of anticipation and stunned shock to ask them WHY...why do we need a trailer......she is supposed to be....cremated.
Only having a small expectation of the cremation process and never being in a situation of obtaining cremains.....we could not even begin to fanthom this question.
What we knew of urns and cremation devices we had seen on TV.
Family just stood there, unspoken, with the deepest of emotions running through all of us, and finally, I said....
We are just here to pick up the cremains of our daughter, Leslie.
Now the funeral/crematorium people are always wide-eyed and will jolt at the first view of tears they see, so the girl, got up and went to the back and brought out a small plastic black box and handed it to me. She said here she is.

As if that moment wasn't enough to send us all skyward or to our knees, to say the least, she said....you can pull around back for the other.........

OTHER?

Clutching the remains of my only daughter, tightly to my chest...... I said WHAT OTHER?
and she said....Oh....the casket......

CASKET?

Oh yes, she said, the casket, it is yours, and you will need to take it with you. We had to crush it, because it can not be re-sold or re-used, by law......(I never heard another word she said)

Now we came in 3 cars.....2 mustangs and a Lincoln.

My sons are quickly trading stunned looks, and we are all still stunned by actually viewing and holding the remains of our Les, and as we take the time to pass her around in her cozy, yet durable, black plastic box....we all being to laugh. (we shared so much laughter as well as tears with our LES MOMENTS) that we just figured this one had to beat all of the others. She did it to us ....AGAIN!

Once more she altered our tears and fears into laughter.

We walked out of the center with OUR LES, so very glad that we had control of her again after the most devastating time of our lives, and told them that we would be back for the "CASKET".

When we finally obtained the casket it had three small dings in the top, certainly not crushed, to say the least.

A $3000.00 dollar casket. It was really weird taking it home. We just placed it in the barn until we could do something else with it. But it was just a pretty bed that our precious one slept in for a short while.

Les slept, in life, on a queen sized lift bed, with heat and massage, so never let it be said that she slept on a better bed in death, than in life.

Your comment made me smile.

In Remembrance of the greatest person I ever knew:
LESLIE ANNE
19 July 1984 - 05 January 2000