View Full Version : Crossroads Mall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Thunder
12-24-2008, 06:54 PM
After such talk of the demise of Crossroads, my brother had an incident happen there today and hopefully others would speak out. My brother parked his car, this guy had his emergency break on and later jumps out of his car over a ideotic confrontation that my brother took his parking spot. My brother walked towards him to see what was wrong and a family broke the two apart. Who knows that this psychotic guy could have been thinking... he could have killed my brother or something. He ends up keying his car unfortunately... last time i'll ever go to that wreck of a place again. Anyhow things like this can happen anywhere, just more of a chance in this locale.

Actually, more of the such chance will occur at Penn Square Mall due to the volume of the traffic.

Generals64
12-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I think the upper level ought to remain retail, but the lower level could be converted to a retirement village for aged politicos. Place an opaque cover, thick, between the two levels, vent the lower level gases over to Mount Disposed to the east, and if we don't have enough politicos to fill it, well, DOC seems to ever be seeking more beds and County scarcely has room for the baddies, let alone the occasional legalbeagle who screams to go there. Fill-r-up and cap it off.

Surely as a new half mall it would seem fuller and bustling, and with enough piped in usic, one wouldn't even notice, much, the sad sighs from the lower level
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about the following:
1. Local Library
2. Medical clinic (blood donations etc.)
3. Small Professional teaching school (i.e. Demarge Culinary)
4. Police station area.....the outlaws are already there.
5. Auto Sales center....the Penny's auto center would be perfect
6. More local retailers with affordable rent rates...go and see what they get
per square foot.....cardiac arrest.

megax11
01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
With all this talk of what to do with Crossroads and strip malls, people aren't realizing something.

We are losing businesses to Moore. OKC has its own NBA team, a revived Bricktown, and even a new highway coming, but something is missing.

Sure we can mention that ONE strip mall off of I-240 that has some good businesses, but if Best Buy were to get out of dodge near Crossroads, and for good measure let's say Toys R Us as well, then OKC would be without two huge stores, that are desperately needed.

You guys don't see all the empty plazas that lay dormant with bingo halls, and family dollars?

I personally don't, and won't drive all the way to Moore from May Ave, or north to 50th and May just to shop at one of my favorite stores (Best Buy,) when the one near Crossroads is perfect.

What I guess I am saying is, don't pretend all these plazas are getting renovated or created out of empty lots (ie I-240 shopping center used to be Walmart,) that will be filled with stores like Best Buy, and new movie theatres, because aparently, southside is ridden with bootleg gangbangers.

Sure it would be nice to see the shopping center that has the new Cons store, FYE, Olive Garden, and what used to be Harrigans get renovated so new tenants will fill the MANY empty stores, and especially Almonte Plaza which used to be filled with stores and a movie theatre, but what are the chances of that happening?

We are losing businesses to Moore. A place that is even getting its own Chic-Fil-A, while the big city gets the shaft, and small towns boom, and we have to drive far for the luxury of shopping at out favorite stores.

I-240 plaza was a fluke, and I don't expect (but can hope and wish,) all of the empty plazas in OKC will turn around.

This city needs stores like Best Buy, and new plazas, instead of empty buildings and wasted spaces like that plaza off of 59th and Penn where Dodsons Cafeteria used to be. See how nice that plaza looks?

I'm actually getting jealous of the Moore away, namely 19th street which has a top of the line movie theatre, chic-fil-a, best buy, jc penny, walmart, khols, gamestop, man it's just booming for such a small town, compared to a big city.

Soonerman
01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Is Steve & Barrys out of business yet? I'm guessing Dillards is out.

Thunder
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Dillards is gone.

Steve & Barry's next to flee at the end of the month.

ssandedoc
01-03-2009, 05:02 AM
I heard the smaller stores inside Crossroads are already putting up going out of business signs.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-03-2009, 05:16 AM
after such talk of the demise of crossroads, my brother had an incident happen there today and hopefully others would speak out. my brother parked his car, this guy had his emergency break on and later jumps out of his car over a ideotic confrontation that my brother took his parking spot. My brother walked towards him to see what was wrong and a family broke the two apart. who knows that this psychotic guy could have been thinking... He could have killed my brother or something. He ends up keying his car unfortunately... Last time i'll ever go to that wreck of a place again. Anyhow things like this can happen anywhere, just more of a chance in this locale.

lolwut?

old okie
01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Surely the end of Crossroads must be near. Please put the poor old place out of "our" misery.

bombermwc
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Someone told me they heard February was the closing date???

Jesseda
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
when does waldensbooks close, and are there any sales on the books yet?

ssandedoc
01-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Does anyone on the forums still shop at Crossroads? I think I may have to head out their tomorrow to check things out.

kevinpate
01-06-2009, 05:25 AM
I wondered into Dillard's on the 29th, the first time to enter any portion of Crossroads in a period of many months. I didn't visit any other stores, but I was short on time to begin with.

Thunder
01-06-2009, 06:42 AM
I shop there once in a while. It's not exciting as Penn Square. I haven't been to Quail Spring for years.

Soonerman
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Does anyone on the forums still shop at Crossroads? I think I may have to head out their tomorrow to check things out.

The only reason I go to Crossroads Mall is because of Steve & Barrys. But now that thier leaving I'll have no reason to go to Crossroads. I'll just go to Quail or Sooner now.

Jesseda
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
a co-worker of mine told me waldens books is already gone, , she said the mall area where jcpennies used to be is all closed up stores only a couple remain on that side of the mall.

jbrown84
01-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Avenue was right there by Waldenbooks and it's set to close if it hasn't already.

grantgeneral78
01-10-2009, 08:57 AM
does anyone know when steve and barrys last day is?

scootinger
01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I went there the other day (just for the heck of it) and saw:

- Christopher & Banks is closing. More information at http://newsok.com/crossroads-mall-to-lose-another-store/article/3335901 - they still seem in denial that their mall is headed down the tubes.
- As jbrown said Avenue is in the process of closing.
- Waldenbooks is still there.
- Auntie Anne's Pretzels is gone.
- Dillard's is pretty much closed, but they looked to have a mall entrance for people who want to buy fixtures or the little bit of clearance merchandise they have remaining.
- Steve & Barry's is still open, a sign said they were closing in less than 10 days. I don't recall the exact number though.

Soonerman
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I give that mall untill Summertime then I think they will shut down.

Midtowner
01-11-2009, 12:43 AM
This is unfortunate. I notice Penn has recently put a new policy in place forbidding medium/large groups of youths from congregating. A remodel and something like that could have helped Crossroads.

I really prefer the mall shopping atmosphere to the mishmash of strip malls you'll find in the Warren Theater area in Moore. Unfortunately, I think that's going to supplant Crossroads.

I don't see that is progress.

Thunder
01-11-2009, 07:09 AM
does anyone know when steve and barrys last day is?

The last day of this month, unless they run out of stock more quickly.

Jesseda
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
another co-worker of mine went to crossroads to go to the candy store there, she told me the candy store is fully stocked, the mall was really slow for a friday evening. So is the name brand stores like bath and body works, victoria secrets, and eagle oufitter still there? I just need to go take a look but its hard draggin 2 yung kids toa mall then getting there they have nothing.

danielf1935
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
The fat ladies not singing yet, but if you listen close, you can hear her humming.

okyeah
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
another co-worker of mine went to crossroads to go to the candy store there, she told me the candy store is fully stocked, the mall was really slow for a friday evening. So is the name brand stores like bath and body works, victoria secrets, and eagle oufitter still there? I just need to go take a look but its hard draggin 2 yung kids toa mall then getting there they have nothing.

Last time I went to crossroads was Oct 2008, but I'm pretty sure Victoria's Secret, AE, and Bath & Body Works are all still there. they have some other chain stores too...like Frederick's of Hollywood, pacsun, Deb, etc.. if you live close by, check it out.....if not go to Sooner mall or Penn Square

Thunder
01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm not happy with Deb in that mall. They stopped selling men clothes!!! It was good business there, I was buying clothes and suddenly they don't want anymore dudes in that place.

Now I'll have to figure out where to get nice clothes like those I've bought in Deb...

ssandedoc
01-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Just went today, the Taco Mayo is gone!

Thunder
01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Auntie Anne's is GONE!

SeinfeldBlock
01-14-2009, 07:14 AM
The Avenue store is gone too. Granted, it's not a big name store but it's another store--gone.

SoonerDave
01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Is the big carousel in center court still in operation?

Man, all that's left are a few of the niche national retailers (Bath and Body Works, Victoria's Secret, etc). Sad times, not just so much for the inevitable day when Crossroads finally does close, but for the astonishing waste of potential.

One other thing folks may not realize is that if/when Waldenbooks closes, (there are conflicting posts in this thread about its status) there will be not one bookstore in south Oklahoma City. None.

That, in my humble opinion, is patently ridiculous.

-SoonerDave

Jesseda
01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
my co-worker told me again she seen its with its lights off and doors shut, i might make a trip to just look see.. i was waiting for someone to post there closing sales then my co-worker told me its closed.. oh well if i get a chance i will check it out

OKCitizen
01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Paradise Theater (Styx)

And so, my friends, we'll say goodnight,
for time has claimed his prize,
but tonight can always last,
as long as we keep alive,
the mem'ries of Paradise.

Sad to see a once popular and beautiful mall dying slowly. They really need to put it out of its misery.

bluedogok
01-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I ran across this story on Planetizen (http://www.planetizen.com/), a planning website. It had some interesting info.

Living at the Mall - Not Just a Figure of Speech (http://www.planetizen.com/node/36830)
Posted by: Judy Chang

8 January 2009 - 6:00am

What comes next for the doomed, enclosed mall across America? This article highlights a number of solutions, including an adaptive reuse model that incorporates housing units inside the mall itself.

"The mall as we know it today is a mistake.

The lonely box of concrete plopped in the suburban diaspora, outdated and, in many cases, dying, isn’t quite what Victor Gruen, the Austrian-born Holocaust survivor largely credited with inventing it, envisioned. Instead, the regional enclosed shopping mall was supposed to be a community center—a little bit of downtown and a car-free haven that would include day care facilities, offices, and, perhaps most importantly, residential living components a stone’s throw from the building; the mall was always supposed to have housing nearby.

Perhaps today Gruen would finally be satisfied, because in its newest incarnation, the mall has finally become not just a place to shop, but to live. The mortgage meltdown, shifting demographics and a growing antipathy toward suburban sprawl have caused developers to see malls not as retail dinosaurs but as giant land banks, where going vertical can appease environmentalists, potential buyers and stockholders alike.

It’s happening slowly, but it’s happening all over America, and industry experts expect the trend to grow. If inner cities are starting to see condo projects go rental or remain unsold, and some new suburban subdivisions are settling into modern ghost towns as the foreclosure crisis deepens, the one bright spot in the housing market might just be here: at the mall."

Full Story: Malls, the Future of Housing? (http://www.planetizen.com/news/redirect_new.php?id=36830-0)
Source: HousingWire, December 29, 2008

MonkeesFan
01-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Just went today, the Taco Mayo is gone!

I'm suprised it lasted that long, they have terrible food but that is just my opinion!

MonkeesFan
01-15-2009, 01:38 AM
My predication next to close: Sonic

MonkeesFan
01-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Is the big carousel in center court still in operation?

Man, all that's left are a few of the niche national retailers (Bath and Body Works, Victoria's Secret, etc). Sad times, not just so much for the inevitable day when Crossroads finally does close, but for the astonishing waste of potential.

One other thing folks may not realize is that if/when Waldenbooks closes, (there are conflicting posts in this thread about its status) there will be not one bookstore in south Oklahoma City. None.

That, in my humble opinion, is patently ridiculous.

-SoonerDave

I wholeheartly agree with you, they need to build a Barnes and Noble in Moore or South Oklahoma City

danielf1935
01-15-2009, 07:00 AM
There are plans for a Barnes & Noble in Moore, should be announced soon.

SeinfeldBlock
01-15-2009, 07:06 AM

Really? You should post this in the Moore thread. I'd love to see a Borders, rather than a Barnes & Noble. I'd loooove to have a bigger (and better) bookstore on the south side somewhere besides Norman.

Thunder
01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Barnes & Noble or Borders for Del City.

Ya know, we have good people on here with great ideas and I would like to see people here running for position with Del City. It would help get us on the fast track! We have stores from Crossroads that can relocate.

SoonerDave
01-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Daniel, no offense, but I've been hearing those rumors for literally years now, and it never seems to pan out.

The first rumor I heard was B&N going up in or near the walnut Creek Shopping Center at I-240 west of Penn, then the next rumor was at the I-240 Penn Plaza center, but that never happened, either. I guess the latter could still happen.

The last rumor - which was obviously either untrue from the word go or fell through - was that B&N was going to build at SW 104th and May, possibly across the street from what was going to be the Evil WalMart SuperScumbag. WalSlum pulled out, and a Crest is going in there now, and obviously nothing ever came of that rumor.

If you've got some additional info, could you possibly share? Any kind of new bookstore development in my neck of the woods would be appreciated if not also surprising in the current economic situation...'

-SoonerDave

danielf1935
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
The Barnes & Noble for Moore is not a rumor (I have sources, and if I told you, I'd have to kill you). All kidding a side, this will be announced soon. In addition, there will also be a Toys-R-Us built in Moore and the one near Crossroads will close. As for the Walmart @ SW 104th and May, they have decided on a new location, its on I-44, nothing bought yet, but possibly at the SW 104th or SW 134 street exit, when this Walmart Super Center is built, the one in Tri-City will close.

Jesseda
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
it also would be nice to add a book store in moore, the shoppes in moore is getting really close to the stores off ed noble parkway in norman, bed bath and beyond a petsmart, a office supply store, and now moore is getting the new toysrus (which was stated at moores economic develoment spokesperson on the city channel last month). now if we get barnes and nobles, al we would need is michaels and a ultra and we would have twin shoppiong centers minus the jcpennies

OKCisOK4me
01-15-2009, 01:35 PM
My predication next to close: Sonic

Yeah, if it can't sustain in Quail Springs Mall, why would it last in Crossroads?

Thunder
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, if it can't sustain in Quail Springs Mall, why would it last in Crossroads?

There was plumbing issues is why Sonic closed and moved out. I'm guessing there was no other available space to rent or Sonic broke lease by getting the hell out.

Soonerman
01-15-2009, 07:42 PM
The Barnes & Noble for Moore is not a rumor (I have sources, and if I told you, I'd have to kill you). All kidding a side, this will be announced soon. In addition, there will also be a Toys-R-Us built in Moore and the one near Crossroads will close. As for the Walmart @ SW 104th and May, they have decided on a new location, its on I-44, nothing bought yet, but possibly at the SW 104th or SW 134 street exit, when this Walmart Super Center is built, the one in Tri-City will close.

Didn't they just open a Wal-mart Supercenter at Tri city?

danielf1935
01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
The Newcastle Walmart is a "Super Center". however, it's one of the smaller stores, the location is not the best and it's not really convenient for Newcastle residents. A new Walmart on I-44 would attract shoppers from the far S. side of OKC as well as shoppers from the Tri-City area.

oneforone
01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
The Newcastle Walmart is a "Super Center". however, it's one of the smaller stores, the location is not the best and it's not really convenient for Newcastle residents. A new Walmart on I-44 would attract shoppers from the far S. side of OKC as well as shoppers from the Tri-City area.

I think both stores could operate without any interfering with one another. Just look at NW OKC. There are several Wal-Mart's with in a 5-10 mile radius. Most of which are only 5 minutes apart.

I will be suprised if Tri-City closes. Most of the people shopping there live between the metro and Chickasha.

MikeOKC
01-16-2009, 03:20 AM
A book store only makes sense. After Waldenbooks closes at Crossroads, we'll have a HUGE gap in the metro area that stretches from the Borders/B&N in Norman all the way north to a small Waldenbooks in Penn Square, Full Circle (a great book store) across the street in 50 Penn Place and then the Borders/B&N in the NWX and May area, then the other B&N and a Books-A-Million on Memorial. That leaves a huge swath of metropolitan Oklahoma City without a book store.

Half Price Books is also coming to OKC. I've heard the North May area not far from the Barnes & Noble and Borders. They like to locate close to the big chains. If anybody can confirm the location feel free to speak up.

southernskye
01-16-2009, 05:13 AM
The only thing big enough in that area is where the compUSA used to be.
I would love that, it's not far from our house.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
The only thing big enough in that area is where the compUSA used to be.
I would love that, it's not far from our house.

Geez, folks, the northside has plenty of bookstores. Could someone south of Reno put in a hope for one? That vast gap from Norman to 50th and May, even in this economy, ought to be a serviceable book market.

There is a nice stretch of undeveloped land on the west end of the 240 Penn Plaza, and of course there's lots of retail construction going on down in the Moore area, and either of those spots would be great for a Barnes and Noble or Borders, although I'll admit to a slight preference for the former. I'll pass on Books-a-Million, because I've heard indications that chain isn't terribly healthy right now and probably wouldn't last if they DID open up something...

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 10:05 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No more WalSlum SuperCenters between Newcastle and SW OKC!!!

The location in Newcastle is ALREADY getting a bunch of business from far SW OKC residents. And WalSlum has demonstrated absoultely NO interest in keeping that soiled pit of a store on I-240 and Santa Fe in even a pretense of cleanliness. It ought to be embarrassing for WM that so many people recognize that particular store literally smells when you walk in it. In a word, UGH!!!

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Daniel, I don't mean to doubt you, but I live in the SW 104th "vicinity" (have for a long time) and I've heard rumors for *years* about "something big" going in on the east side of I-44 between 104th and 134th, everything from a Super Target to a WalMart (with a few ideas in between). Can you offer *any* info that would suggest this is *concrete* as opposed to a retelling of the same rumors?

I know WalMart pulled out of the SW 104th and May location that was rumored not even a year ago because their sales were down and they opted to pull back on further SuperCenter development (thankfully), and right now it hardly seems to make sense for them to switch gears...a SuperTarget would be a GREAT boon to the area, a better quality retailer, too...

danielf1935
01-16-2009, 11:27 AM
There should be a press release within the next 5--7 days re: development along I-44 involving a Walmart Super Center. I can't say anymore at this time, however, I have confidence in my sources. I agree with your comments about a Target Super Center, however, Target is scaling back on Super Center Stores and may get out of the food business entirely.

Bobby821
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM
The signs are taken down off the building for Dillards now. it is sad one semi anchor left Steve and Barry's then no more.

bombermwc
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Doze the sucker.

Bobby821
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Um NO preseve it for History !!!

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
There should be a press release within the next 5--7 days re: development along I-44 involving a Walmart Super Center. I can't say anymore at this time, however, I have confidence in my sources. I agree with your comments about a Target Super Center, however, Target is scaling back on Super Center Stores and may get out of the food business entirely.

That's good enough for me. I'm going to guess its going to be farther south on I-44 than 104th, because I still think there are some perimenter infringements on the southern boundary of the airport property, but I don't know that for a fact.

Sad to hear Target may be getting out of the SuperStore business....WalScum needed the competition.

oneforone
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Since the I-240 and Penn Circuit City is Closing. I wonder if you will see Best Buy close Crossroads and move to the old CC store. It is about the size of their current stores. A quick paint job inside and a face lift outside and the store could be ready for move in about a month or two.

If I were PB Odom I would be on the phone with Best Buy's realty department today. You know they will not stay at Crossroads for long. The old CC store already has everything they need.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Since the I-240 and Penn Circuit City is Closing. I wonder if you will see Best Buy close Crossroads and move to the old CC store. It is about the size of their current stores. A quick paint job inside and a face lift outside and the store could be ready for move in about a month or two.

If I were PB Odom I would be on the phone with Best Buy's realty department today. You know they will not stay at Crossroads for long. The old CC store already has everything they need.

I don't think that Penn location is as large as their current site at Crossroads. Might be out of left-field, but there is plenty of space in the Southern Hills center on the south side of I-240, particularly where Burlington used to be. If they were predisposed to move, that's also a possibility.

Generals64
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't think that Penn location is as large as their current site at Crossroads. Might be out of left-field, but there is plenty of space in the Southern Hills center on the south side of I-240, particularly where Burlington used to be. If they were predisposed to move, that's also a possibility.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a call from the Liquidator for Circuit City.....Their days are getting real close from what I was told.

SoonerDave
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a call from the Liquidator for Circuit City.....Their days are getting real close from what I was told.

General, the entire business is folding - CC is dead.