View Full Version : Ann Simank running for County Commissioner

metro
05-17-2007, 09:20 AM
City council member plans to run for open county seat

Oklahoma City Ward 6 council member Ann Simank. Photo/Shannon Cornman

Stefanie Brickman
5/16/2007

Hoping to extend what she calls Jim Roth’s pro-business agenda for county government, Oklahoma City council member Ann Simank, Ward 6, is planning to run for his soon-to-be-open county commissioner’s seat.
Gov. Brad Henry announced on May 14 Roth will serve as the state’s next corporation commissioner.

A council member since 1995, Simank says the nonpartisan climate of the city council has helped Oklahoma City grow and move forward.

“Local government is fascinating because it’s close to the people,” Simank said. “Jim Roth was part of the movement forward for (Oklahoma) County. His business approach in District 1 is what I want to continue.”

As a small-business owner, Simank says she has been strongly involved in the local business community where she has built good relationships.

“I am a proponent of business,” Simank said. “Small business provides the backbone.”

Simank’s focus would be on how county government can be progressive and build cooperative and collaborative relationships. With Oklahoma County being the county for the state’s capital city as well as the county for the state’s largest city, avoiding duplication of services to optimize efficiency is a prevailing concern for her.

http://www.okcbusiness.com/images/photos/Ann-Simank21.jpg

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Since when is Corporation Commisioner appointed?

NE Oasis
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Nothing against Ann Simank, but
Jim Roth's chief deputy will be covering the post until the actual election. I hope she enters the race, I've already promised her at least one vote. As a county resident, the District One Commisioner is my sole voice. Jim Roth has never disappointed me and assume his current staff to be like minded.

John
05-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Since when is Corporation Commisioner appointed?

Denise Bode was first appointed to the post, also...

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Did somebody quit?

John
05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Did somebody quit?

Are you talking about currently?

Denise Bode resigned to lead the American Clean Skies Foundation, so Jim Roth was appointed to the Corporation Commission, and now there is an open county commissioner spot.

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

So if someone resigns from Corporation Commission, a replacement is appointed, but if someone resigns from County Commission, we have another election. Do I have that right?

John
05-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

So if someone resigns from Corporation Commission, a replacement is appointed, but if someone resigns from County Commission, we have another election. Do I have that right?

Strangely enough, yes.

I'm sure there is a state vs. county issue that makes it such.

Just off the top of my head would be the cost of holding a statewide election for one seat. Not worth it.

BailJumper
05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Has Roth said who he supports to take his place?

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Dave Melhaff will run again.

metro
05-17-2007, 01:16 PM
hehe, I know Dave Melfhaff, I'll have to see if I can ask him. I thought Roth did a good job though honestly.

John, I have a question, didn't Denise Bode have to give up her Corporation Commissioner seat because she ran for Congress District 5 seat? Not just because she was looking for another job?

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I know him as well. He goes to my church.

andy157
05-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Since when is Corporation Commisioner appointed?I'm not positive, but it's my understanding, that Roth's appointment is just to serve out the remaining time of Bode's term. At the end of Bode's current term Roth would then have to run for, and be elected to a new term.

metro
05-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I know him as well. He goes to my church.

so you're going to lifechurch.tv now jbrown? or do you see him at nw baptist. he claims to be a member at nw baptist, although he mentions to me he regularly attends the south lifechurch.tv campus. perhaps he attends both??

jbrown84
05-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't recall the last time I saw him at Northwest. We aren't buddies or anything, but he has been a member there for several years as far as I know.

John
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
John, I have a question, didn't Denise Bode have to give up her Corporation Commissioner seat because she ran for Congress District 5 seat? Not just because she was looking for another job?

No, she didn't give up the Commission seat during her CD5-OK run. It's not required to give up a seat to run for another office. Some do it, some don't. More of a personal preference and/or how they feel the race will turn out.

metro
05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I personally think that is a stupid law. I think if a person is serious enough to run, they have to give up their office. I know Mayor Cornett did the same thing when he also ran for District 5. It's almost a good ole boy system of job security.

jbrown84
05-18-2007, 07:58 AM
I don't mind the job security thing. Obviously not everyone is going to win. The only thing I say is they better still do their job while campaigning at the same time.

NE Oasis
06-06-2007, 11:08 AM
With Jim Roth's deputy choosing not to run now I must screen potential candidates. Can anyone share any Ann Simank facts and/or opinions?

metro
06-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Anyone know when the deadline to run for Ann Simank's Ward 6 downtown seat is? Now that I live downtown, I may be highly interested in it!!

jbrown84
06-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Go for it!

Misty
06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
That would be great metro! I don't know the deadline but I bet Gayleen Keeton does in the Mayor's office, 297.2424.

metro
06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm just curious, but I may test the waters. As most OKCTalkers know I ran for Bethany City Council a few years back. But my real passion is downtown OKC. This is a little sooner than my original plans, but may be a good opportunity for me now. I'll definitely need OKCTalker's support should I run earlier than expected.

Misty
06-06-2007, 03:51 PM
You have mine, I'm sure you could find support in the Urban Neighbors membership as well. It's great to see young people (oh my god I sound like my grandma) interested in this. You'd be a great addition to the council and bring fresh ideas.

jbrown84
06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
You have mine as well.