Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Insider is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    247

    Default Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    I have had it with Cox and the sky high prices they charge for their services. I am trying to compare them to AT&T Uverse and Satellite TV (more specifically, DirecTV). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it true that the satellite signal will go out as easily as they say (like on a cloudy day like today)? What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,255

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    I have had it with Cox and the sky high prices they charge for their services. I am trying to compare them to AT&T Uverse and Satellite TV (more specifically, DirecTV). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it true that the satellite signal will go out as easily as they say (like on a cloudy day like today)? What do you guys think?
    Not really cloudy. But bad weather. My dish has good signal right now.

    And let me tell you...After being on Cox for the last 7 years...I moved to an area that doesn't have cable. I used to mildly complain about Cox.

    Until now.

    GAWD I miss Cox. DSL sucks donkey balls, and yes, the satellite loses signal constantly in bad weather. It's gone down for HOURS a couple of times in the last month. Oh...And you pay by the TV. 4 are free. Want more? That's 10 bucks per extra box.


  3. #3
    Luke is offline VIP Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,020

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    I have an all HD package with Dish Network. I pay $30 a month for that and $5 for the locals. Before getting Dish, everyone warned me about how I would lose service at the slightest breeze. We've found that to be dead wrong. The only time our signal goes out is in very, very, very windy weather. Maybe 1 in 5 storms will cause the Dish to blip in and out. And only in the very worst conditions it will go out completely. But 99.9% of the time, we have crystal clear HD. Clouds have no effect. I found that ice doesn't affect it either. Even though we had no electricity, during the ice storm I hooked up the generator to the DVR just to see... lo and behold we were able to watch TV.

  4. #4
    Jesseda is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,011

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    i am thinking of getting rid of cox as well, they seem to be raising there prices by the month

  5. #5
    Charlie40 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Getting a larger dish will solve 95% of all signal loss problems, as well as having it properly aligned on the satellite.

  6. #6
    venture's Avatar
    venture is offline David
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    I went to DirecTV after being with Cox for years. Intro prices are hard to beat, but I need to crunch the numbers after the promo is done. I will say I only lose signal in extremely heavy rain and that is it. The one thing I don't like is that I have Tivo right now, and you need two receivers to do any dual recording.

    Still using Cox for internet since I have a business account for that. Wondering how good the AT&T product is though, would be interesting to try out if the pricing is good for more than just a year.

  7. #7
    jsibelius is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I have an all HD package with Dish Network. I pay $30 a month for that and $5 for the locals. Before getting Dish, everyone warned me about how I would lose service at the slightest breeze. We've found that to be dead wrong. The only time our signal goes out is in very, very, very windy weather. Maybe 1 in 5 storms will cause the Dish to blip in and out. And only in the very worst conditions it will go out completely. But 99.9% of the time, we have crystal clear HD. Clouds have no effect. I found that ice doesn't affect it either. Even though we had no electricity, during the ice storm I hooked up the generator to the DVR just to see... lo and behold we were able to watch TV.
    I wonder how much is it really...after they tax and fee you to death? This has been a very timely discussion as I have been debating dumping Cox for the same reasons - suddenly they're raising prices without warning, cutting channels also without warning...a double-whammy in my book.

    How's the service with the dish? Do they treat you well?

  8. #8
    Thunder is offline Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,415

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    They had been raising mom's prices each month lately. Mom was furious and tried to do something about it, but they won't listen. She was never late, always pay on time in full, but still....they won't lower anything for her.

    I think she should get Satellite.

  9. #9
    SuperChris7's Avatar
    SuperChris7 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    I can't justify getting satellite because I would want to keep Cox Internet, and I would have to keep the phone because the wife won't try VOIP or all cell. I've been looking at Uverse, but I'm a little leary. The TV is TV over IP which means it's through the internet. That brings me back to the VOIP. I tried VOIP for a little while, and it was terrible. Granted I used Lingo which probably isn't the best. I don't know about the TV service if it's internet based. Anyone have any experiences?

  10. #10
    bluedogok's Avatar
    bluedogok is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,753

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I went to DirecTV after being with Cox for years. Intro prices are hard to beat, but I need to crunch the numbers after the promo is done. I will say I only lose signal in extremely heavy rain and that is it. The one thing I don't like is that I have Tivo right now, and you need two receivers to do any dual recording.

    Still using Cox for internet since I have a business account for that. Wondering how good the AT&T product is though, would be interesting to try out if the pricing is good for more than just a year.
    If you have the stand-alone Tivo, then yes, that is the case. For pretty much the same fee you can get the Directv DVR's instead of the receivers. I have 2 HD-DVR's and my old DirecTivo-SD, along with an HD receiver and 2 SD receivers. I still use Time Warner (Austin) through Earthlink for internet. I switched to Directv about 10 years ago when I lived in The Village and suffered through Multimedia Cablevision, which was fine in Edmond. I have MLB Extra Innings and NFL Sunday Ticket, so I'm not changing services.

    Rain fade occurs when the dish is misaligned, I have started having trouble with mine after 5 years, a tree branch hit it. We are getting ready to re-roof the house and I plan on moving the dish away from the trees that have grown on that side of the house so I just haven't worried about re-alignment yet.

  11. #11
    venture's Avatar
    venture is offline David
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    14,220

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    The only problem with the DirecTV DVRs...i'm out of my contract period in April next year. If I want a DVR from them, it is $99 for a regular DVR or $199 for an HD DVR up front even for leasing (buy out is about 2-3 times that). Then as soon as you add the equipment, your commitment period is renewed for 2 years. So while I would love to get the DVRs from them, I don't feel like throwing that cash out right now to them or locking myself in for 2 years again.

  12. #12
    alan's Avatar
    alan is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    we have had Uverse for about 6 months now.

    love it.

    no signal fade in any weather. DVR records 4 shows at the same time. the user menus are crisp and user friendly. the picture is flawless. the internet and phone are also perfect.

    highly recommend.

  13. #13
    amylynn5656's Avatar
    amylynn5656 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    we have had Uverse for about 6 months now.

    love it.

    no signal fade in any weather. DVR records 4 shows at the same time. the user menus are crisp and user friendly. the picture is flawless. the internet and phone are also perfect.

    highly recommend.
    Question about UVerse: Are the channel line-ups the same as Cox?

  14. #14
    Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Lord Helmet is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,197

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I have an all HD package with Dish Network. I pay $30 a month for that and $5 for the locals. Before getting Dish, everyone warned me about how I would lose service at the slightest breeze. We've found that to be dead wrong. The only time our signal goes out is in very, very, very windy weather. Maybe 1 in 5 storms will cause the Dish to blip in and out. And only in the very worst conditions it will go out completely. But 99.9% of the time, we have crystal clear HD. Clouds have no effect. I found that ice doesn't affect it either. Even though we had no electricity, during the ice storm I hooked up the generator to the DVR just to see... lo and behold we were able to watch TV.
    I've been a dish subscriber for years. I took a chance and tried out Cox when they laid cable in my neighborhood (we didn't have it this far north before). I was so disapointed with the service that I switched back in less than 3 months (I do still use them for internet).

    The DVR that cox uses sucks. It has very little storage, doesn't allow you to customize menus, and is flat a pain in the butt to use when compared to my dish 722.

    The only time I ever lose a signal is in a VERY SEVERE storm...like, the wall cloud is over my house bad. Other than that, it works perfectly.

    Uverse is nice, but its missing some channels and sports packages that I don't want to lose...so its out of the question.

  15. #15
    Luke is offline VIP Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,020

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    I wonder how much is it really...after they tax and fee you to death? This has been a very timely discussion as I have been debating dumping Cox for the same reasons - suddenly they're raising prices without warning, cutting channels also without warning...a double-whammy in my book.

    How's the service with the dish? Do they treat you well?
    I just looked at my bill, and if I'm reading it right, the $35 plan goes to $42.63 with taxes.

    I've been with Dish for three years now. They never raised the price with the package I had been on. Since we watched very few channels (of the hundreds of them) I decided to get an all HD package with fewer channels because that package still had the channels we watched. That actually lowered our monthly price. We have a DVR that can record two things at once or watch something and record something else. We are not under a contract either which is nice. I've only called a few times to Dish customer support and have been pleased with their support.

    I should mention that I'm on an AT&T bundle which does kick a credit here and there. We have an iPhone family plan (2 iPhones), Dish Network service (Bronze Turbo HD), "Elite" high-speed DSL service which is 6 MB down and 768 up and while we don't have a home telephone, we do have a landline whose sole use is to provide communications with security system. For that, we pay a stable $230 a month (most of which is the iPhone plan).

    And as far as the picture fading in and out during weather... Our installer must have bolted it bolted it down really well because the only time we ever have a service interruption is in the most severe weather. In those cases, we're either in the closet taking shelter or at my parents house where they have a real shelter.

  16. #16
    alan's Avatar
    alan is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    334

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by amylynn5656 View Post
    Question about UVerse: Are the channel line-ups the same as Cox?
    dunno.

    a friend who just switched says they don't get "Sprout" now.

  17. #17
    rod4soonrs's Avatar
    rod4soonrs is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    147

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    those with uverse can answer this, I heard they don't have fox sports ok, so no thunder games, is this true?

  18. #18
    flintysooner is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Old house had Cox cable and internet. Wife's old house has Direct. Mother-in-law has DISH.

    U-verse internet is 6 Mbps down and about 1 up and is excellent. I really like U-verse phone, too, but what I like is the ability to manage it by computer. U-verse DVR is great and pretty happy with TV in general. Only big problem is there is some "skipping" primarily over HD. That said though it doesn't take much to satisfy us for TV.

    I can't tell much difference between Direct and DISH as for picture quality. I think DISH seems to lose signal more frequently than Direct but hard to say. DISH seems to have better customer service. Don't have DVR on either.

    Cox was okay on internet but not as good as what I have now with U-verse. Cox cable was pretty good but never had HD nor DVR so can't say. Cox cable and internet went down about every big storm where we were.

    So far U-verse has been more reliable as far as being up but I've only had it a short time.

    No real idea what channels we have and most we don't watch anyway. Did "rent" a movie once and that was great.

  19. #19
    Insider is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    I called DirecTV this morning and got an amazing offer...

    Premier Package-
    All Standard Definition (SD) Channels offered
    All High Definition (HD) channels
    DVR
    HBO
    Starz
    Encore
    Showtime
    The Movie Channel
    Cinemax
    The Sports Package
    Local Channels (SD and HD)

    All of this came to...

    Months 1-3: $53.99 a month plus tax
    Months 4-10: $77.00 a month plus tax
    Months 11-12: $87.00 a month plus tax

    This includes several discounts. They told me that these prices are good for anyone, but require you to call a certain number and use a special AAA code.

  20. #20
    amylynn5656's Avatar
    amylynn5656 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    I called DirecTV this morning and got an amazing offer...

    Premier Package-
    All Standard Definition (SD) Channels offered
    All High Definition (HD) channels
    DVR
    HBO
    Starz
    Encore
    Showtime
    The Movie Channel
    Cinemax
    The Sports Package
    Local Channels (SD and HD)

    All of this came to...

    Months 1-3: $53.99 a month plus tax
    Months 4-10: $77.00 a month plus tax
    Months 11-12: $87.00 a month plus tax

    This includes several discounts. They told me that these prices are good for anyone, but require you to call a certain number and use a special AAA code.
    Was that a promotional (limited time) rate?

  21. #21
    Insider is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by amylynn5656 View Post
    Was that a promotional (limited time) rate?
    Part of it yes, part of it no. Some of the discounts are only good for a few more days and others are good for a few more months.

  22. #22
    Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Lord Helmet is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,197

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by rod4soonrs View Post
    those with uverse can answer this, I heard they don't have fox sports ok, so no thunder games, is this true?
    Last I heard they were still getting FSSW instead. Dish Network is FSSW in this region too, but they show all FSOK specific games (including the Thunder) on an alternate channel.

  23. #23
    rod4soonrs's Avatar
    rod4soonrs is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    147

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Last I heard they were still getting FSSW instead. Dish Network is FSSW in this region too, but they show all FSOK specific games (including the Thunder) on an alternate channel.
    I have directv, fox sports ok is on channel 679, mostly blank channel unless thunder are playing.

  24. #24
    SuperChris7's Avatar
    SuperChris7 is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    585

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    we have had Uverse for about 6 months now.

    love it.

    no signal fade in any weather. DVR records 4 shows at the same time. the user menus are crisp and user friendly. the picture is flawless. the internet and phone are also perfect.

    highly recommend.
    If you don't mind me asking, which U-Verse channel package do you have and what internet package do you have? How much is your bill each month, the final number including taxes and fees?

  25. #25
    jsibelius is offline Participating Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Cox Cable -vs- AT&T Uverse -vs- Satellite TV

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I just looked at my bill, and if I'm reading it right, the $35 plan goes to $42.63 with taxes.

    I've been with Dish for three years now. They never raised the price with the package I had been on. Since we watched very few channels (of the hundreds of them) I decided to get an all HD package with fewer channels because that package still had the channels we watched. That actually lowered our monthly price. We have a DVR that can record two things at once or watch something and record something else. We are not under a contract either which is nice. I've only called a few times to Dish customer support and have been pleased with their support.

    I should mention that I'm on an AT&T bundle which does kick a credit here and there. We have an iPhone family plan (2 iPhones), Dish Network service (Bronze Turbo HD), "Elite" high-speed DSL service which is 6 MB down and 768 up and while we don't have a home telephone, we do have a landline whose sole use is to provide communications with security system. For that, we pay a stable $230 a month (most of which is the iPhone plan).

    And as far as the picture fading in and out during weather... Our installer must have bolted it bolted it down really well because the only time we ever have a service interruption is in the most severe weather. In those cases, we're either in the closet taking shelter or at my parents house where they have a real shelter.
    No contract? Now you've got my attention... I hate AT&T, but 15 years later, maybe it's time to forgive. The price is definitely lower than what I'm paying for cable. I really might be worth taking a serious look at switching. ($7.50 or so in taxes and fees sounds about right) Or maybe this will at least give me some negotiation leverage with Cox. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Navy missle hits satellite
    By metro in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 05:24 PM
  2. Cox - Hearst Argyle agreement in works?
    By SoonerDave in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
  3. COX and their "higher speed"
    By kk19115 in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 11:34 AM
  4. COX offers free high-speed internet to low-income Oklahomans
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
  5. Cox to locate a national call center in OKC
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1